Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In anticipation of the release of the new Triumph Thunderbird Twin this sub-forum for technical talk has been created.

As the sub-forum builds up this will be expanded where necessary.

:)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Read a great article in one of the bigger motorcycling magazines recently after they reviewed the T-bird.

They gave it great reviews and praise and very little negative feedback.
I'm not a cruiser guy, but I'm excited to see this thing on the streets

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Just a thought, but maybe the Classic and "Cruisers" would be more appropriate for the new Thunderbird. I know it has a twin engine, but the bike's a cruiser right? And this forum should become the Retro Classics forum too... maybe? Hey, why does the Tiger gets it's own forum? Ah shucks... never mind, now I've confused myself. :eek:

·
30,523 Posts
For now we are keeping it this way. This forum is for tech stuff relating to the thunderbird. General chat relating to twins will be kept in twins chat, and all non specific stuff should go to Bikers Hang Out.

As time goes on we'll see how the forum develops - who knows it may make sense to have a separate "cruiser" forum in due course.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
But it's not even here yet .:confused:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I found the Triumph website for the new T-Bird. It seems like there will be a lot of accessories. Triumph is even offering a factory big bore kit (like it isn't big enough) that increases it to 1700cc and pumps up the torque to 119lb/ft. I get thrills just thinking about having that much torque under me. If I had the $$ one would be on my list as a 2 up touring bike. Although it would be tempting to run a stripped down hot rod version.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Stripped down power hot rod version for me. I am a lucky guy in that my wife is my riding partner and has her own bike and her own license. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Stripped down power hot rod version for me. I am a lucky guy in that my wife is my riding partner and has her own bike and her own license. :)
My wife has her license, but I can't get her off the back of mine. Need to work on that and then maybe I can keep a few extra motorcycles around the house for her to ride :)

OK so maybe I would ride them more than her. Can't help finding ways to expand the collection.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't think the new T-Bird is too cookie cutter. It strikes me as a solid entry into a burgeoning market. It's key difference is a parallel twin instead of a v-twin. I do wish that the radiator were quite a lot smaller though. For me, that huge radiator sticks out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I really, REALLY like it...
The radiator is a lil obtrusive, but I could live with it.
Actually, it has me questioning whether I should continue with the engine mods I was going to start this winter on the SpeedMaster, or if I should just trade up. For the amount I am going to spend on engine bits & labour I could make up the difference for a bike that makes that kind of Hp STOCK. And I dont think the 865 will ever make that kind of torque!
Throw a fat tire in to sweeten the pot & I am officially on the fence!
S.

·
Registered
430 Posts
do we know how much it is going to be yet in the UK? my dealer is saying under 10K,but thats it, really it needs to be no more than 9k not to compete to much with the rocket.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I really, REALLY like it...
The radiator is a lil obtrusive, but I could live with it.
Actually, it has me questioning whether I should continue with the engine mods I was going to start this winter on the SpeedMaster, or if I should just trade up. For the amount I am going to spend on engine bits & labour I could make up the difference for a bike that makes that kind of Hp STOCK. And I dont think the 865 will ever make that kind of torque!
Throw a fat tire in to sweeten the pot & I am officially on the fence!
S.
THE THING IS 750 LBS it wont be faster then a 900.Its just a hd-triumph lol its got a HD rear fender and gas tank.1700cc and only 100hp is sick.big heavy slow boat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
THE THING IS 750 LBS it wont be faster then a 900.Its just a hd-triumph lol its got a HD rear fender and gas tank.1700cc and only 100hp is sick.big heavy slow boat.
The dry weight of the Speedmaster is 504 lbs compared to the 678 lbs of the T-Bird.When you divide the hp by weight it comes to a slight advantage for the T-Bird. 8.26 lbs per hp for the Speedmaster compared to 7.97lbs per hp for the T-Bird. The torque,which is more of a factor,sees the T-Bird with a sizable advantage of 6.78 lbs per one ft.lb. of torque compared to 9.2 lbs per one ft. lb. for the Speedmaster.Now if you add the 1700 to the mix,the T-Bird has a sizable advantage in hp per lb of weight and is off the charts in the torque per lbs compared to the stock Speedmaster.Going around corners is another story but in straight line acceleration,my money would be on the T-Bird.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The motor is only 1600cc the big bore kit will take it to 1700cc which will provide more HP and Tq and it will be a faster big ole boat. You want to go fast; you get a bike that goes fast, you want to cruise; you get a bike that cruises.

Hello McFly, anyone home?

·
Registered
482 Posts
A general question about the big bore kit: how is it that adding a mere 100cc boosts torque by 17% (adding about 17 pound-feet, give or take)? I'm thinking there must be other modifications that go along with the 1700cc kit to produce that much more power. Anyone?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts