Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been viewing this site enough the past few days I figure I best introduce myself...

I just bought a 01 RS about a week and a half ago and have to say that I love every bit of it. Bike had 20k miles on it and had been down on both sides at different times. No fairings on it, and aftermarket enduro style white headlight and a broken shifter that had been "repaired" with a drill, bolt, nut, and duct tape. Other than some scrapes and a sheared off frame slider (thank God the bike had them or it would have been totaled) the rest of the bike was perfect. So $1900 later I was driving home my beautiful yellow RS.

I bought a new headlight right away since the white one looked terrible, I ended up going with the Acerbis Cyclops Headlight. It wasn't my first choice, but it was less than $100 shipped and it actually ended up looking really good.

Next was mirrors to make it legal, since the stock mirrors bolt to the fairings I was out of luck on that so I ordered some bar-end ones and took 5 min to install those.

I still need to order another shifter, but the darn thing is $98 and once I replaced the bolt with a bit longer and thicker one, then welded it and covered it in black electrical tape, it feels great so I will probably wait on that till I can find one on Ebay.

I am going out tomorrow to see if I can find some cheap front turn signals to attached to the forks before I get it inspected tomorrow, but after that it should be going to the paint shop to get painted black. (leaving the yellow underneath of course to keep it fast.)

Eventually I plan on getting the Oxford heated grips and Kaoko cruise control for it. I may also invest in some handlebar risers since I am only 5'10" and my back starts to hurt on longer rides. Finally I plan on getting the integrated turn signals in the taillight, but that is well down the road.

Here is the bike in its current state:

And here it is what it looked like with that other headlight:

Oh and P.S. I read the stickies :)

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
Welcome mat

The enforcers will be along soon to give you the official welcome i suspect.
All the best, Nev
Nifty, you make it sound like Donski and I wear combat boots, body armour, kevlar helmut, dressed in camos and carry an Austyr assault rifle!:eek:

And in reality you know very well we wear black!

jtrouten welcome to the forum and congrats on the new RS:)

Seeing as you are already read up I'll skip that boring part.

Enjoy the forum:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Hello and welcome.

Dave and Don always make people feel welcome.

I think they must do it professionally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it is my first Triumph, I also have a 81 CB750 and a 93 CB250 and I decided I wanted something a little bit newer, and faster :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nice bike! I am doing something similar to a wrecked '00 Sprint, so I know what you mean about the shifter thing. How did you attach those mirrors??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are actually just bar end mirrors, I ordered them on ebay for $30 shipped. All I had to do was take the screw that holds the bar end in and replace it with the one that came with the mirrors and it screwed right in.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Hello and welcome.

Dave and Don always make people feel welcome.

I think they must do it professionally.
That's because we are professional greaters at Wal-Mart. We just have a ton of experience. That coupled with our cheery fiz and that's a tough combo to beat in the greater game. Right Davie:D

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I am not really a fan of the street fighter look but that looks pretty good for an RS.

I know that I have welcomed you in a previous post but what the hey! Welcome again! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I see you went Cyclops on that Trumper. Very nice, I was wondering how that would look. There is one on ebay for about $50. How bright is it at night? Does it have high and low beam? I can't wait to get mine going. I will have to get the flip in mirrors, cuz here in Cali we can split lanes.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
That's because we are professional greaters at Wal-Mart. We just have a ton of experience. That coupled with our cheery fiz and that's a tough combo to beat in the greater game. Right Davie:D
Why yesiree Donski it is our cheery fiz!:v_SPIN:

Oh and have I welcomed you yet today Don?:GoodLookin:
(said with great fiz!)

cheers,
DaveM:3dcool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see you went Cyclops on that Trumper. Very nice, I was wondering how that would look. There is one on ebay for about $50. How bright is it at night? Does it have high and low beam? I can't wait to get mine going. I will have to get the flip in mirrors, cuz here in Cali we can split lanes.

The beams are bright enough, just make sure you mount it so the beam shoots far enough to meet your locations laws. It does have high and low beams, but I usually run with the high beams on all the time since it isn't mounted high enough to blind anybody, and it makes me more visible at night.

And make sure you buy the brand name one not one of the cheaper Chinese ones, you won't be disapointed.

oh and thanks for all the welcomes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same Boat-No Fairings

buying 2002 Rs w/ no fairing group...saw same cyclops lite setup available too.......guess thats the route I.m headed too although found a site called AirTech out of Calif US that sell Rs fairing group for new cheap.....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Bumble Bee

I see that you are going to paint it black, which I thought would be good. That is untill I saw the headlight and flyscreen from the front angle and realized that you currently have a nice cycle version of Bumble Bee from the transformers movie goin on. :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
aw man now I have to leave it, gotta rock the transformers look :)

Do you have a link to that site RIO? I wouldn't mind having the fairings even though I do like the street fighter look. Driving from Charlotte to Chattanooga all the time is a pain with no fairings...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the link, I wonder if I contact them if they would make me some; I guess it would depend on if they had the molds, but if they knew there was at least a small market out there for them maybe they would do it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts