Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My name is Blair Corkran and I am from Christchurch, New Zealand. I have had many Triumphs since 2007. Sprint 1050, Tiger 1050, Speedmaster and the 1700 Thunderbird. Once I saw there was a 1200 Bonneville on the market I was in and bought one of the first T120's on the market. I have no issues with the bike apart from wish like the Thunderbird it has self cancelling indicators. I decided to give my T120 a nice clean yesterday in readiness for the riding season with it now being Spring here in New Zealand. I was horrified to see the back of the wing mirrors rustings out and also slight rust on the back of the handlebars. My bike is premanently garaged and I maintain the bike well and this is the first time I have had rust issues on a reletively new bike. Has anyone else had these issues?

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have not noticed any rust on my T120, which I bought new in May of 2016.
Christchurch is right on the water, right? Could not a moist, salty atmosphere be the culprit ?

Four five years I kept my Sportster year round in a Florida city right on the Gulf of Mexico.
Even though I kept it clean and polished, I did notice some minor corrosion on some unpainted surfaces.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Oh yeah, and by the way, welcome to the forum Blair. Keep us informed on your adventures with your machines.

Wish I had a solution for your chrome damage, but other than re-chroming the pieces (probably cheaper to buy new ones), or polishing the pitted part into base metal, and trying to ignore the results, there's probably not much you can do with it.

Maybe just a bad chrome job, too.

The nice thing about aluminum alloy use on M/C's is that it doesn't oxidize like steel, and you can always bring back the shine with a good polish job.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The old coke and aluminium foil trick would be worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Gidday, christchurch here too. Got 2017 Thrux... no issues for me .

Hello. My name is Blair Corkran and I am from Christchurch, New Zealand. I have had many Triumphs since 2007. Sprint 1050, Tiger 1050, Speedmaster and the 1700 Thunderbird. Once I saw there was a 1200 Bonneville on the market I was in and bought one of the first T120's on the market. I have no issues with the bike apart from wish like the Thunderbird it has self cancelling indicators. I decided to give my T120 a nice clean yesterday in readiness for the riding season with it now being Spring here in New Zealand. I was horrified to see the back of the wing mirrors rustings out and also slight rust on the back of the handlebars. My bike is premanently garaged and I maintain the bike well and this is the first time I have had rust issues on a reletively new bike. Has anyone else had these issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not noticed any rust on my T120, which I bought new in May of 2016.
Christchurch is right on the water, right? Could not a moist, salty atmosphere be the culprit ?

Four five years I kept my Sportster year round in a Florida city right on the Gulf of Mexico.
Even though I kept it clean and polished, I did notice some minor corrosion on some unpainted surfaces.
Hi Geb

Yes I am close to the beach here in Christchurch that is why I am always super cautious to have my bikes stored in the garage away from any salt air. I acknowledge that the main rust areas seem to be where I may have washed the bike and didn't rub behind the mirrors and handlebars enough to get rid of any surface moisture as this is where the rust seems to be. I am lucky that I have caught it in time and make sure the bike are rubbed down correctly and I will also use some CRC Silicone spray.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, and by the way, welcome to the forum Blair. Keep us informed on your adventures with your machines.

Wish I had a solution for your chrome damage, but other than re-chroming the pieces (probably cheaper to buy new ones), or polishing the pitted part into base metal, and trying to ignore the results, there's probably not much you can do with it.

Maybe just a bad chrome job, too.

The nice thing about aluminum alloy use on M/C's is that it doesn't oxidize like steel, and you can always bring back the shine with a good polish job.
Hi Geb

I will purchase some new mirrors and may go for the end of handlebar variety >:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Kiwi Dave

Good to meet you. I went along to First European with the mind made up I would buy the Thruxton but when I saw the one tone Burgandy T120 Bonneville I did the quick two step and bought the Bonneville. Might see you out on the highway sometime.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi Kiwi Dave and BlairCorkran,

Yes I too came from Christchurch, the original one, in what was once Hampshire (England) but moved into Dorset county back in 1973 or so against our will. Bleep, bleep politicians and civil servants never do what the people really want.

Out here in Spain the air tends to be dryer so not much trouble with rusting etc but I do tend to keep parts waxed or oiled as it was different in the UK and old habits die hard.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I got my Thruxton from First European.. Andy seems a nice fella... they got a new shop on corner of Ferry and Fitzgerald.. we should hook up for a run some time :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts