Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

introducing myself

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  CommandoRdster 
#1 ·
Hello All-

I discovered this forum recently and have spent some time reviewing threads over the past week or so. I would have said hello earlier but had a little snafu with registration that has just been resolved.

I am impressed by the good nature of the folks who post here and the willingness shown by many to offer advice and assistance to others. The depth and breadth of the Triumph (and general mechanical) knowledge displayed by some of the members is equally impressive.

I am, myself, old enough to have ridden Pentons and Huskies in AMA amateur events in the early to mid 70s. I actually attended and was certified by AMI back in the mid seventies too. Worked for a while as a mechanic until I decided to go back to school.

I currently have two project bikes, a '66 Bonnie and a '66 Trophy. I am just beginning these projects and I am still in the assessment/planning stages.

I am looking forward to being a member here.

#4 ·
Welcome Old Bonnie... I noted that you are an ex-dirt rider. I rode the Bultacos, Montesas and Huskies back in the 70's & 80's myself... MX, Hare Scrambles, Enduros, Observed Trials & a few 6 Days qualifiers... ahh... those were the days.

This forum is a great thing... there are guys here that are living Triumph encyclopedias! They have helped me tremendously in getting my two T140s cracking.
Best regards,
Dave :cool:

#5 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys.

GPZ, I am going to try to keep track of how these projects evolve, but I think it is going to take a while. Main goal is to have at least one reliable rider by spring. I am hoping that it will make sense in the long run to restore one and hotrod the other.

Roadster, I always had a soft spot for the old Commandos, even though I never had one. I was always intrigued by the Isolastic engine mounts. Especially in the days before multis and balancers, the prospect of a smooth ride was attractive (especially after a couple of hours on one of the old vibrators). And then there were the hot babes in the old Norton ads...

Dave, good to know there is another old dirt biker around here. I wouldn't mind restoring an old Penton or two. But have you seen the prices on those lately? I raced a CMF125, a 250 Hare Scrambler, and a Husky 250CR, motocross and hare scrambles. I raced on the old Elkhorn track in Wisconsin once, and Redbud in Michigan was like a home track (yes it has been around that long). In those days Gene Ritchie (track owner) was still racing on a big Maico. Even then it was a huge layout with some loooong straights and big jumps. I had my scariest and worst get-offs at that track.

Those were the days.

#6 ·
You guys are going to throw me off track and have me working on my '69 Steel Tank Penton 125 six-day and my '70 DKW with the same engine and leading-link forks.

That's the last thing I need to do, as busy as I am right now.

Well, second-to-the-last thing; the LAST thing would be to bring home 3 more non-running bikes and try to get them past my wyfe!

#7 ·
I remember those Duks. That front end was heavy. If I remember, they also had the disturbing (until you got used to it) trait of lifting the front end when you got on the binders.

But I loved the Sachs B engine. Great power and reliable. Just had to keep the shift key adjusted. My first real racer was a CMF 125 that I rode for two years. What a great bike!

#9 ·
Right about those Pentons! I love the story about how John Penton actually rode his bike to and from Daytona one year. On his way, he won his class at the Stone mountain National, got to FLA and won the Alligator. Then he toodled on home!
And at the Forked River 6 Days Qualifier in '77 (a grueling 2 day event in the South Jersey Pine Barrens), I remember seeing the 3 Penton boys out trail riding after the event was over. We mortals were stretched out in our vans... totally shattered.

And Huskies... loved those bikes. Here's my outing at the Little Harpeth National in '81... riding a 360 Burlson Replica.
http://www.gulfcoastrentals.com/images/triumph/bikepics.htm
Sigh... those were definitely the days!
Dave :cool:

#11 ·
Ok, you guys have me sitting here staring at my '70 250 Husky,
thinking about how long it's been since I smelled burning Blendzall!

I'm also looking at my '76 360 Husky, thinking what a cool sort of post vintage, supermotard street machine it would make. Am I nuts?

Never saw too many Pentons here in AZ,( mostly Huskys, Maicos, Bultacos, with the occaisional CZ) but a friend from Jersey had a(I think)175 with a Sachs powerplant. That was a lot better trailbike than the 250 Pursang I had at the time. I do remember it was really easy to find neutral on that Penton, especially when you didn't want to!
:chug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.