Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I've been lurking around here for the last week or so and thought I would finally say hi as this forum has been a great help in me deciding on buying my first bike.

A close friend of mine that I have known for about 15 years is selling me his 2004 Triumph Daytona 955i CE. Its got just under 2k miles on it and in showroom condition. He's cutting me a huge break on the bike since he only wants just under 4k for it. Too good to pass up so I'm handing him the cash this Saturday.

This will be my first bike so I will have a lot of learning to do. I've already purchased my gear and signed up for a local motorcycle riding course. I'm very excited to be riding this summer.

While I was searching for a bike to buy I looked into R6's and GSXR's as well, being in the States its all I ever see. Aside from the fact that seemed too...small for me (I'm 6'1" @ 240lbs) the Daytona 955i just seemed to "fit" me right. Plus I wanted something totally different from what I usually see around my house....and the Triumph is definitely that :)

The only worry I have is that its a 955i so a bit stronger than it should be for my first bike. However, I've been taking cars to the track for years and have a healthy respect for powerful machines. I will no doubt respect the bike and its ability to get my killed LOL. If its one thing I've learned it's to be very gentle on the throttle as i learn the machine. My only real concern is up/down shifting as I learn to properly rev-match a naturally aspirated engine. It seems to be easier on the turbo-charged cars I am accustomed to as the real power band is very high in rpms, an N/A bike like this seems to have a very linear power band and I've heard often about the 955i's mid-range torque. So hopefully I wont' buck the bike around too much as I'm sure it is quite capable of throwing me off LOL.

I've done some research and found that there might be an issue with the charging system for this bike, but it can easily be fixed by moving to a thicker gauge wire. Not a problem here.

My question though if anyone has time to answer, are there any other possible issues with this particular bike that I should know about? Any good preventative maintenance I should perform? What parts on the bike should I keep a keen eye on if they are prone to failure? I can rip down a car engine and rebuild it with my eyes closed so I am not unfamiliar with working on machines and I'm not afraid to do the work. I just would like to know how to properly maintain this bike.

Thanks in advance everyone! I will post pics of the bike this weekend when I pick her up.

·
Registered
295 Posts
No terrible issues here, even the charging system seems adequate. Either you have the year of the bike wrong or your friend is mistaken, but the 2002 is the 'CE'. Ask your friend if the speedo ever reads 'zero'. That is a common problem with the digital speedo and it also affects the odometer, good for the seller/bad for buyer. These bikes have a O-ring chain that needs to be kept lubricated at all times.

It'll be a great bike, enjoy. And welcome to the site.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No terrible issues here, even the charging system seems adequate. Either you have the year of the bike wrong or your friend is mistaken, but the 2002 is the 'CE'. Ask your friend if the speedo ever reads 'zero'. That is a common problem with the digital speedo and it also affects the odometer, good for the seller/bad for buyer. These bikes have a O-ring chain that needs to be kept lubricated at all times.

It'll be a great bike, enjoy. And welcome to the site.

Ah, I might be wrong on the CE, its definetly an '04 but he said something about it having the extra's as well. Like the CF exhaust and such. I just assumed it was a CE. I guess I'm showing just how little I know about motorcycles LOL

Here is a pic I found, it looks exactly like this.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Welcome

Hi Activeseven.......you made the right choice on both counts, this is the best damm bike ever !
Also choosing to join the forum is better than any source of help you could imagine, the guys in here are really excellent with reviews,techie questions,parts,diagonsis and of course opinions.
I have an '04 Daytona 955i........first one, I'm beginning my 3rd season on it......it still amazes me each time I'm out.

Congrat's on the bike !

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Activeseven.......you made the right choice on both counts, this is the best damm bike ever !
Also choosing to join the forum is better than any source of help you could imagine, the guys in here are really excellent with reviews,techie questions,parts,diagonsis and of course opinions.
I have an '04 Daytona 955i........first one, I'm beginning my 3rd season on it......it still amazes me each time I'm out.

Congrat's on the bike !
Thanks tri995i, I'm glad I made the right choice with this one. I'm happy to see that you started out with a 955i as well. Any riding tips you have for a new rider to better handle this bike?

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
I guess really the only tip would be to ride for yourself and not try to keep up with others who may be more experienced. It's a fault we all have had at one time or another where you feel like you might hold others back on a ride.Seasoned riders that I have ever known are all to willing to either wait for you, or purposely hold back to ride with you for company and likley offer tips at the first stop.

Secondly.....be prepared to mute the alarm alot, I found with the Tona, because they are not really popular like the Jap stuff..Triumph's are definitly unique...the Triumph's pull an awful lot of attention ( a good thing :) Everyone wants to look and touch........constantly getting the motion sensor chirrping.

Enjoy

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks tri995i, I'm glad I made the right choice with this one. I'm happy to see that you started out with a 955i as well. Any riding tips you have for a new rider to better handle this bike?
My '02 is the first bike I've had in 15 years, and I was really scared that I wouldn't be able to keep the front end on the ground. But after a couple short rides I came to realize that it has lots of power, but very manageable power. I also completely agree with Tri955i about not trying to keep up with experienced riders. And watch out for loose gravel on the inside corners, because that's the one place you'll find it. One of the best tips I received from an experienced rider was if you need to stop behind a vehicle, always pull up to the left rear so you can see their face in their mirror, that way they should see you if they need to back up. Trust me, it happens. That black '04 is one sweeeeet ride!!!!!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi Activeseven, yours is not a "CE " which refers to Centennary Edition. Maybe your friend meant Carbon Everywhere.:D
If you head to the General site there is a section about Skills and Survival which has many great ideas and videos to check out. All the best with your new toy. They are a great ride with much more character and style than the Rice Rockets.
Cheers, Nev

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome on board!

The motorcycle safety course is a great idea... just remember that the bike has got more power than you will ever need...

CBadBoy

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
activeseven, Yours is a 'SE' or Special Edition. The SE was a no cost appearance option that included the black plastics, black frame (for '04) and black wheels.

There aren't any inherent problems for the '04. Always insure the battery is in top condition as the ECM is power hungry. Any motor vehicle that has sat for long periods of time will need a little extra attention. I'd change the tires because as they age they harden and subsequently lose traction. Now is a good time to replace the coolant, brake fluid, oil and filter.

A few tips:
-Don't touch the throttle at start up.
-Don't use the kill switch to turn off engine except in emergencies. Like a computer, power can be removed gracefully or not.
-The engine runs hotter than a car's. If concerned let us know what the temps are.

The D955i is very 'first rider friendly' as long as the throttle isn't twisted too much. Common sense is king! MSF courses are an excellant start.

Brad

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome

That bike is a great choice. The only better decision you couldve made would be to actually get a CE! I consider my 02 my first bike as well. I have another bike that I rode first but it was such an old beaten up bike it never stayed running long. My 02 was the first bike I was actually able to put some miles on. Its fairly friendly like everyone else said. Just respect it. Take it easy, and stay within your skill level. The only problem I've had with mine is the constant eye strain that I get from staring at it in my garage all night. Its a beauty!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts