Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I'm a new member in Sydney - just joined last night - so I'm not yet familiar with all the various parts of the site.

All of your posts about TBs have been helpful - and prompted me to join. THANKS!

Firstly, I hope I've posted this in the right place!?

7 weeks ago I bought a 2002 TBird. It is my 1st bike after an 8 year break from riding.

Like many newies, my Qs have probably been asked - and answered - several times before!.....So, er, here goes:

1) I love the retro look of the TB - and I've heard that they handle pretty well - but so far I'm not so sure. Maybe I just haven't ridden mine long enough yet.....

I like the 17" F+R wheels, twin discs and the more rearset pegs of the TBS. So, assuming that the parts might become available(?) at remotely affordable prices(?) is it straightforward putting a TBS front end - and TBS rear wheel - and TBS pegs - on an '02 TB...AND does it make major, positive differences to the handling versus the costs?

2) For those who have fitted them....are pod air filters a good move or not? My TB came with a TBS air filter cover and Staintune reverse cone exhausts fitted (which sound FAB!) - and the standard mufflers.

3) Bling: Where can I source chrome instrument covers and a chrome headlight nacelle?

Hope I haven't broken any post/thread protocols by asking multiple Qs!

Many thx in advance for your advice!

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Welcome Mark and sorry for the delay, your post was overlooked in the wrong forum and I have just moved it here today.

Hopefully someone will be able to answer you

---------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
Hello all
I like the 17" F+R wheels, twin discs and the more rearset pegs of the TBS. So, assuming that the parts might become available(?) at remotely affordable prices(?) is it straightforward putting a TBS front end - and TBS rear wheel - and TBS pegs - on an '02 TB...AND does it make major, positive differences to the handling versus the costs?

Many thx in advance for your advice!
Finding all the parts to make that conversion will be challenging at the least. It is a straightforward conversion, you would also need to change the rear shock to get the complete balanced suspension. If you paid new prices to Triumph for those parts it would be prohibitively expensive (IMO). The TBS and TBird are very different bikes. The major differences are the suspension and front brakes. That transforms it to a different feel, handling is much improved.

I think you would be money ahead to buy a TBS and then sell your TBird. The TBS is not as common as the TBird so you'll have something to enjoy while you are looking for one.

Check some of the threads about using Kawasaki zrx1200 forks and cast wheels. That will also get you the ability to use even better brakes on the front. Rather than invest in a new TBS Shock, Hagon is one after market supplier that makes improved shocks for these bikes.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mark & :icon_drink: to your discerning choice of bike!

A few thoughts on your Qs 1 & 2...

Improving the Tbird front brake & suspension has been a much discussed feature here & swoping for a TBS front is an obvious solution. Trouble is they're hard to find & usually pricey. Triumphant motorcycles in Wales UK offers many parts for the Triples & periodically offers TBS kit. He just had these TBS forks on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230314304143&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:GB:1123

Went for £200, but you'd also need wheel, discs, calipers, lines & master cylinder. He has sold this complete before - around £6/700 or so IIRC. I've heard he's good to deal with & honest about stuff he sells. No worries there but pricey to ship to Oz.

Other possibilities are to upgrade what you have. Kawasaki kit can be made to fit & a Hayabusa tokico 6 pot caliper bolts straight on I believe tho' needs a bigger master cylinder. Both Behringer (Germany) and Jack Lilley (UK) offer 4 or 6 pot kits (with floating disc, 340mm in JL's case) - around €/£600. Keeping a single disc must also give lower unsprung weight than twin disc TBS set up. That leaves just the the forks & maybe 17" wheels to find from a Legend if you want a wider tyre choice & bit wider rubber up front. I've had good results with Racetech cartridge emulators & Hagon progressive springs. Pretty happy with the front now.

I'm tempted by the single disc upgrade option & if I was two-up more would definitely consider it worth it. Maybe not so much for solo use. I do like the better tyre choice of Legend(or TBS) 17" wheels. Your Staintunes should have the exhaust sorted to bring you up or over TBS bhp. A K&N filter and Dynojet kit would finish the job off whilst retaining the stock airbox. The latter felt by many to be important for good low-end torque. The main thing with the DJ kit (for TBS but Legend & TB carbs are identical) is the needles - to improve the (lean) midrange hole. I settled on the DJ100 jets (~ same as 98 Kehin stock jets) & very happy with results. I've upped the gearing to give 136mph @ 8,250 in top. Reached 125 a couple of days ago & still accelerating even with the added drag of a Puig 'summer' screen & wide (expanded) panniers sticking out each side :). I might even raise the gearing a little more with a 150/70 tyre choice next time ~ +3.5%. (Good for mpg & lower cruising rpm.)

Pods doubtless give even more power, but more likely at higher revs (I think). 'Proven Setups' thread has all the info you'd need to jet accordingly. (Just by changing the exhausts you already have a TBS engine set up btw - there's no other differences.)

Cheers
Mike

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MANY THANKS to Tbirdnz for relocating my post - and to denny and IrlMike for your replies - MUCH APPRECIATED guys!

Yes, I thought that buying a TBS is much easier than converting a TB. But TBS' are rare as rocking horse manure in Aus (and don't look as nice as the TB).

I saw the TBS forks from Triumphant on eBay UK - the 1st and 2nd time they were listed - but didn't go for them, as I'd not seen your replies at that point. No matter.

Perhaps a good interim measure is to alter the boltupright TB riding position (which is OK riding around town) by fitting TBS bars and footrests + r/brake + gear change linkages. Is the rear brake master cylinder the same?

Anyway lads.....many thanks and Merry Xmas to you all!

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
Is the rear brake master cylinder the same?

Anyway lads.....many thanks and Merry Xmas to you all!
Yes it is, just rotate it, on later TBirds there is another bolt hole for the bottom bolt.

Shift linkage will interfere with the exhaust, there are ways around that. The shift pattern will be reversed if you install the linkage same as on TBS, so you have to invert the lever that attaches to the shift shaft. Some folks have used Rassk rearsets, but they are further back than the TBS ones. Those might be adjustable? And there might be others on the market.

The Triumph parts will be pricey, unless you are lucky to find some used for a good price.

Merry Xmas to you and all who read this also!!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I got a red one too

Welcome Mark. Mine is the same colour scheme as yours, I know of three others on the eastern seaboard that colour. Yours didnt come from the Lake Macquarie area did it?
Can't really help with your parts search mate. I'm hanging on to anything I have, which is very little. I'm Located in Brisvegas, but am down that way a couple times a year. Have to catch up next time and swap stories about these here things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts