Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, just picked up my first Triumph yesterday (and about #6 in the stable), a used 06 T100 with 670 miles on it, in the creamsicle color. Love it! Have a few questions:

1. I washed the bike first thing since it had a layer of dust on it from the original owners garage. After that the dash idiot lights and tach got intermittent, mostly not working. Removed the tach/speedo and unplugged the electrical cable going into the headlight and found water had run down the cable and gotten into the connector and caused the issue. Seems like poor waterproof design, couldn't really figure out how to make it more waterproof so just re-taped the wiring all up good and re-assembled. Any suggestions?

2. The bike came with D&D slip-ons (rejetted too) and although it sounds OK and I'm sure the performance is better, I'd like the traditional peashooter look, without the stock restriction. What aftermarket exhaust with the peashooter look has good performance, maybe equal that of the D&D?

3. Since the color is tangerine/cream, I was wondering if the 09 anniversary colors are the same so I can see about getting a front/rear fender from that model with the tangerine stripe down the middle. Anyone know if the tangerine and white colors are the same as the 06 creamsicle ones?

Thanks!

Jerry

·
Registered
445 Posts
2. The bike came with D&D slip-ons (rejetted too) and although it sounds OK and I'm sure the performance is better, I'd like the traditional peashooter look, without the stock restriction. What aftermarket exhaust with the peashooter look has good performance, maybe equal that of the D&D?

Thanks!

Jerry
British Customs Sleepers. I love mine. Free flowing exhaust with old-school look.

http://www.british-customs.com/british-customs-triumph-bonneville-t100-sleeper-silencers.html

Compared to what else is out there, it's worth every penny.

·
Registered
26 Posts
connections

isn't there some kind of grease available at the auto parts store to help waterproof electrical connectors?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jim! Nice to see a fellow advrider + GS owner over here with a Brit twin. Poor adventure isn't getting much ride time with the new T100 in the stable! :D

British Customs Sleepers. I love mine. Free flowing exhaust with old-school look.

http://www.british-customs.com/british-customs-triumph-bonneville-t100-sleeper-silencers.html

Compared to what else is out there, it's worth every penny.
So how's the sound on these? The only things I have to compare to so far are stock, the D&D's, and TOR.

Sanata Cruz, eh? Headin' down to Laguna for Moto GP?

Jerry

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Howdy, just picked up my first Triumph yesterday (and about #6 in the stable), a used 06 T100 with 670 miles on it, in the creamsicle color. Love it! Have a few questions:

1. I washed the bike first thing since it had a layer of dust on it from the original owners garage. After that the dash idiot lights and tach got intermittent, mostly not working. Removed the tach/speedo and unplugged the electrical cable going into the headlight and found water had run down the cable and gotten into the connector and caused the issue. Seems like poor waterproof design, couldn't really figure out how to make it more waterproof so just re-taped the wiring all up good and re-assembled. Any suggestions?

3. Since the color is tangerine/cream, I was wondering if the 09 anniversary colors are the same so I can see about getting a front/rear fender from that model with the tangerine stripe down the middle. Anyone know if the tangerine and white colors are the same as the 06 creamsicle ones?

Thanks!

Jerry
I have two creamsicles and a 50th Anniversary Bonnie. The oranges on the two bikes are different, and the Five Oh has a light blue field, not white. As far as I know there are no tangerine/opal 09's.

Dick

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have two creamsicles and a 50th Anniversary Bonnie. The oranges on the two bikes are different, and the Five Oh has a light blue field, not white. As far as I know there are no tangerine/opal 09's.

Dick
Thanks Dick, I stopped by the local Triumph dealer yesterday afternoon on the way home and asked about the color thing, and he straightened me out. Blue must be really light, looks like white/opal in the pics online. Guess I'll have to find a paint shop to do some matching tangerine/gold stripes on the fenders for me.

Ever see the side covers painted opal to match? Sometimes I think the stock black ones look out of place. Is there history there I don't know about?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks Dick, I stopped by the local Triumph dealer yesterday afternoon on the way home and asked about the color thing, and he straightened me out. Blue must be really light, looks like white/opal in the pics online. Guess I'll have to find a paint shop to do some matching tangerine/gold stripes on the fenders for me.

Ever see the side covers painted opal to match? Sometimes I think the stock black ones look out of place. Is there history there I don't know about?
The traditional 60's color is indeed black. If you don't like the black please sell them to me and I'll buy you a new set of any color of the "68" series sidecovers to paint. Sadly, Triumph doesn't offfer black as an accessory side cover color!

Dick

·
Registered
837 Posts
Seems like poor waterproof design, couldn't really figure out how to make it more waterproof so just re-taped the wiring all up good and re-assembled. Any suggestions?
Bonnies seem to be sensitive to moisture; you can find many threads here about this subject. Some don't use water when cleaning their bike. I am very careful and use a low pressure stream to rinse, especially near any electrics. I got caught in a heavy thunderstorm once and she just quit on me. Although I got her fired back up, I had intermittent missing problems after that until one day she just quit and I had to have her towed to the dealer. They ended up replacing the entire igntion system which fixed the problem, but I have kept her as dry as possible ever since.

IMHO, this seems to be Bonnie's Achille's heel.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I use the BellaCorse Teardrops on my '03 T100. The price is right, they come with a jet kit, they flow freely without being obnoxiously loud, and the mufflers can be replaced individually ($60-$80/each) should you scrape one up. The BellaCorse adapter pipes give these pipes a slight upsweep which minimizes the "kinked pipe" look. Photo below:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks Jim! Nice to see a fellow advrider + GS owner over here with a Brit twin. Poor adventure isn't getting much ride time with the new T100 in the stable! :D

Jerry
Here is a little irony for you:

Rode the Scrambler to the local BMW rally this weekend. Rides great, but the bike does not like rain. Made the 100+ mile trip ok in heavy rain, but it died on me heading out to get lunch. Had to ride bitch with my friend on his R1200GS with no rear seat.

It sat about an hour, and when we got back it started right up.

Anyhow, looks like I will be taking it all apart and sealing the connectors on it.

Any specific ones I should spend extra time on?

Jim

PS The gel seat sucks bad!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts