Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's finally warm enough in my neck of the woods to ride... but I'm having some odd starting issues.

BIKE:

• 2014 Thruxton with 6600km, bought used from a car dealership that took it on trade.
  • It wouldn't start originally, but with a "click" - I replaced the battery, and then it would start and run.
  • Bike itself is super clean, which leads me to think it was washed thoroughly and regularly.
MODS (I just finished installing all this last night)

• Norman Hyde Peashooters
  • K&N w/ Breathe cover
  • Deleted SAI and O2
  • TTP Tune #1
SCENARIO:

• When starting the bike, I would put it in neutral, pull the clutch in, and push the start button - and intermittently... nothing would happen. Or it might spin for half a second.
  • After pulling the clutch in a few times, and pushing the start button - at some point, it would start up normally and run fine.
  • Once it's started, the bike runs fine.
  • Last night after trying to start it warmed up (after a short test ride), I gave it a bit of throttle while starting and it sputtered for a while and then ran fine.
QUESTIONS:

• I have a feeling it might be something to do with the interlock systems - either the clutch switch or maybe the starter button. What would be the most failproof way to test this?
  • I plan to follow the starter relay mod, for emergencies. If it functions correctly, which part of the starting circuit troubleshooting does that eliminate?
  • With my past bikes, I would often twist the throttle when starting - with the Thrux should the throttle not be touched at all?
  • What else should I look at, test and troubleshoot?

Thanks so much for your help!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sounds like it could be the clutch interlock. Try this: Press the start button while slowly pulling in the clutch. If the bike turns over, remember that position and next time hit the starter at the same clutch position. If you can zero in on a "good" position, it probably means that the switch is dirty. There is a way to take apart the control housing to get at the switch, but I just blast contact cleaner in between the clutch lever and the housing while working the lever, and that takes care of it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks that may be the problem. I just tried starting the bike cold twice, and it fired up without issues when the clutch was about halfway out.

- First cold start: enricher fully engaged / bike in neutral / held start button, and slowly pulled the clutch in until the engine cranked.
- Second cold start: no enricher / neutral / clutch about at the same point.

I'll take it apart and clean and lube everything this afternoon. Hopefully, that solves it! I don't want to get stuck somewhere random and not be able to ride home.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't want to get stuck somewhere random and not be able to ride home.
Heh, it happened to me at the top of the Sonora Pass in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I spent 10 sweaty minutes before I got lucky with the clutch position and the engine caught.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you end up wanting to bypass the switch you have a few options. The 'quick and dirty' method is cutting the wires at the switch and shorting them together. I went the more involved step by shorting the wires before after the harness plug in the headlight (from tracing back from the switch). If you cut at the plug, its the wires from pins 5 & 9. Check the wiring diagram if you need a reference.

If you want to keep the switch intact, pull the boot off, give it a good clean and then lather on the dialectic grease.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There's a mod that I read about on this site. It creates an emergency switch of sorts on the starter solenoid (i think) that bypasses all the safety switches etc. so you won't get stranded. It seemed very easy and something to put on my list. I think it was by Forchetto.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts