Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
I had wondered what the UK motoring press would think of what is a distinctly American style of bike. Engineering-wise, it sounds as thought Triumph hit it. Styling seems to be a consistent complaint, however. It will be interesting to see what Triumph does with additional models in the future.
However, it won't sell if Triumph doesn't discover an advertising budget. Right now they seem to be preaching to the choir (existing owners/enthusiasts). I constantly run into people who are completely unaware of the current line of twins. They tend to be enthusiastic. When I tell them that Triumph started building the New Bonneville in 2001, they look surprised and occasionally disappointed. I only stumbled over the Classic Line by accident, while wandering the internet. I have one now and I can claim responsibility for another sale as well (there may others). However word of mouth is somewhat unreliable as a corporate ad policy. Triumph makes great bikes at a decent price, I wish they would tell more people.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Not my cup of tea...no pun intended. It almost weighs as much as a Rocket..but has no where near the power of the Rocket. It should be a lot lighter. JMOP:eek:

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I believe it\'s heavy due to the engine requiring a lot of counter balancing. The rocket doesn\'t need that much if any being an inline 3. So basically thats where the weight its. But consider this. For one, weight means little if the bike feels light and performs extremely well, and so far all the reviews have raved about the handling, the power, and how light it feels. I sat on it and sat on the rocket right next nto it and i assure you that sitting on them both and leaning them over to feel the weight will leave you thinking the Tbird is 1/3 less weight. I\'m not exaggerating at all. If you have a chance to sit on them both side by side, try it. You\'ll be surprised. the R3 also feels like a behemoth....like you\'re sitting on a whale.I rode one and it feels like that on the road too. The Tbird is not much bigger than a speedmaster when you sit on it. In fact the wheelbase is actually shorter. It\'s wider, but thats it. So you have to view weight in the context of how it inhibits the bike if at all. As far as i could tell and from all the reviews it doesn\'t in the least. Trust me, i felt the same as you and untill i sat on it and read all the reviews i was apprehensive. By the way, some people cite power to weight ratio. But you have to realize that once you have a certain amount of torque in a motorcycle, weight stops being linear in how it affects performance. People with R3\'s say they notice zero difference with a passenger. yet a passenger means someone as much as a couple hundred pounds. The extra weight over my speedy is the amount of a passenger, yet even on my speedy i don\'t lose a lot with a passenger because it has good torque. The Tbird has double the torque. So imagine a speedmaster with 30 extra HP and double the torque with it\'s peak being delivered at 1000 RPM lower and a passenger on the back. thats the Tbird. and don\'t forget that triumph has TORs and a filter that can be installed and mapped and will no doubt add 5-8 HP and a few lbs of torque. After all, how many of us have speedys that are totally stock? and if you can afford the BB kit, end of story.

In any case, point is that weight stops mattering a lot past a certain point power wise and if it doesn\'t feel heavy and handles as great as the reviews have been saying.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Here is a Norwegian review that I set up for translation that talks about some of the issues mentioned. It\'s a bit rough to read in some areas but for the most part the translation is good.

http://translate.google.com/transla...59&categoryID=218&sl=no&tl=en&history_state0=

J
LOL! This is how the Norwegians picture americans....

And yes, Thunderbird is running really really well. The new framework is designed to tackle also the weight of accessories and passengers who are born and raised on Kentucky Fried Chicken.
They probably see us all as a bunch of unrefined inbred Cletus\'. :) (then again, perhaps we are:))

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Wait, are you insinuating that guys who ride harleys are fat ?!!! Naaa....thats just all the padded ride gear they use. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Well, it\'s only some artist\'s idea of what they\'d like to see, so the point is moot. But never the less, with the BB kit triumph is offering it IS 100HP. (and 115 Ft Lbs) Possibly another 2-5 HP with pipes and free flo filter. But according to the reviews the HP isn\'t very important because they say it\'s got amazing torque. I think triumph purposely tuned it that way much the way they tuned the america and speedmaster for more torque and less HP than the bonnies. Thats why they are geared higher than the bonnies, because they have the torque to pull higher gearing. I think they did the same with the Tbird.

But If you like the hurricat, get a speed triple. I think the Tbird motor looks odd in that rendering because it looks more like a sport bike and a engine like that in that frame seems like putting a sissy bar and ape hangers on a norton. Just my opinion, but it seems odd to my eye.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts