Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
A proposal to enforce already existing laws against excessively loud bikes, especially those with straight pipes.

Seems reasonable to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the part where it says that they can seize your bike while it is parked if it doesn't have an EPA stamp on the STOCK EXHAUST? Fair??

There was a guy on one of the Ducati forums who went to several dealerships to look for this EPA rating on the exhaust of stock bikes. In all he inspected 65+ bikes and took photos only to find a handful or two with the stamp.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'll go along with that. Loud pipes really don't save that many lives and they are ALWAYS intrusive which translates into rude and uncivilized in the eyes of non-riders. With engines and egos getting larger, something has to give.
What kinda Db's does the stock Legend TT put out? NYC is drawing the line at 80Db. Mine sounds as innocent as a Black and Decker jig saw.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
New Yorkers want their cake and eat it too, tell them if they don't like noise move back to their second house in the Hamptons...!!

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
"Since exhaust noise is emitted behind the motorcycle, these drivers do not hear the loud pipes."

So, the loud pipes aren't a problem unless you're standing directly behind the bike. Cool! No issue then. What are they whining about?

Anyone who's ever spent any time in New York City can tell you that loud motorcycles are such a miniscule part of the cacaphony of noise in the city that's it's not even worth discussing. Overwhelmingly, the bikes in the city are scooters and smaller commuter bikes, NOT heavy cruisers with loud pipes.

This is some kind of red herring. With all the issues in the world today you would think they could find something more constructive to do. Rant over.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
The excuse of using loud pipes to warn cagers of your presence does not hold water. Given the rate of rear end collisions coupled with the trailing direction of loud pipe noise makes it easy to deduce why.

The simple fact which came out in several earlier threads, society is growing less and less tolerant to noise pollution. For me it is about riding not the noise.

For those of my fellow riders who cling to loud pipes all I can say is stock your wallet well or change your pipes.

Just my opinion but given the current legislation that is in place for some states and being proposed in NY and other places I am not the only one. :D

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
If there is a feeling of being persecuted with the disdain for loud pipes on motorcycles, then you might want to look at the NYC DEP plan. The are looking at noise pollution as a cumulative injury. They by no means are singling out just motorcycles. They are looking out all the different factors and putting safe guards to reduce them.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/noise_code_guide.pdf

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
So if your mufflers don't have an EPA label that automatically means your exhaust is louder than 80db? They don't have to measure the noise?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I'd also like to make the arguement that louder pipes do help in some, but not all situations.

They do help alert drivers next to you on multi-lane highways that you are present while in the blind spots of the other vehicles.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
I'd also like to make the arguement that louder pipes do help in some, but not all situations.

They do help alert drivers next to you on multi-lane highways that you are present while in the blind spots of the other vehicles.

One could also make the argument that exceptionally loud pipes may lead cagers to distraction creating a situation for an accident. :D

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
One could also make the argument that exceptionally loud pipes may lead cagers to distraction creating a situation for an accident. :D
Yes, but the document implies that only people behind the motorcycle's loud pipes can hear it and that there aren't any instances in which they can draw a cagers attention. Not the case. Whether its a distraction or not it can be heard while a bike is next to a car in it's blind spot.

I don't have a problem with legislating a noise standard, but how is it to be determined? Once again does lack of an EPA stamp mean that the pipes exceeed that standard? I have a real problem with "lazy" enforcement like this.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
I have no problem with setting the limit at 88 decibals. At one time I was thinking about getting a little louder system but now I will just stick with what I got that way in a couple of years I will not have to switch back do to noise pollution ordinances.

Having a Rocket III, I do not have to worry about tweeking to get a marginal amount of power and I rather enjoy being a little stealthy.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Yes, but the document implies that only people behind the motorcycle's loud pipes can hear it and that there aren't any instances in which they can draw a cagers attention. Not the case. Whether its a distraction or not it can be heard while a bike is next to a car in it's blind spot.
Indeed. This is the problem with "studies". Most of the people performing those studies have no real MC experience, and have already decided to "prove" that motorcycles are too loud, before they even begin.

I prefer using my powers of observation to reach a conclusion.

If you can only hear loud pipes from behind, the issue is not the motorcycle, it's the people standing behind the motorcycle. :)

But seriously ladies & germs, let me ask a question:
If you're in your house and a loud motorcycle goes by, do you hear it coming, going, both, or not at all?

Because if you don't hear it, then loud pipes aren't a noise issue. :)

And how is it that you hear it at all if you're not standing directly behind it?

And since you did hear it, did it alert you that there is a motorcycle in the area?

:)

Again, we're not talking about Daytona bike week, Sturgis or Laconia. We're talking New York City. Loud motorcycles are a non-issue there. They should be concentratiing on reducing noise from subways, garbage trucks, construction equipment like jackhammmers, horn honking cabs, loud radios, etc. Spend a day & night in NYC and let me know what you hear most. It won't be motorcycles.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
I think the key word is cumalative. States are setting limits on all kinds of noise pollution sources. The goal being to diminish unecessary noise.

I have yet to see a boat, car or bike that needs excessive noise to run. Most bikes fall well with in the a normal range, it is only the few that feel the need for straight pipes.

One could argue that it is your right to have a loud vehicle but then the inverse could be argued as well. :D
Perhaps there is a need for a CD that plays hours of
loud bike sounds. Then the rider can think his bike is loud and no foul to the rest that don't want to hear it.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Round here the only noise pollution is the blardy cows at milking time.

When I lived in London it wasn't bikes that were the most irritating and unnecessary vehicular noise pollution, it was silly t1theads in their souped-up Nissan Micras playing rap at the loudest possible volume with all the windows open. Oh... and their caps were on backwards... Not that I'm biased or anything...

My TORs (don't know whether they qualify as a "loud" pipe?) definitely saved me from at least a collision, when someone I was filtering past decided that they weren't going to wait for the traffic lights further down the road but take a parallel backstreet instead. As I drew almost level I saw them spin the steering wheel, shift into first gear and start to pull out. I revved (quicker reflex than moving to the poky horn) and they slammed the brakes on just before they hit me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree that it seems that this legislation is one sided and quite opinionated from the start. I dont live in NYC, or any city for that matter. I live in a small town with fewer than 30,000 residents in the hills of PA. With that said I have noticed the noise associated with straight pipes on motorcycles in my neighborhood. But, it is not like it is a constant issue. The noise comes and goes-no big deal. What I do have a problem with is those that feel the need to ride WFO all the time no matter what the speed limit or road conditions may be. This, IMO, is the noise that we can all live without. But, putting the burden on the motorcycle comm.'s shoulders is simply targeting a demographic.

The funny thing is there are bikes out there that are STOCK that will break the 80-82db range!!! This whole issue reminds me of the idiots that build their McMansions next to an airport that they use to store their private jet, yet complain about airport noise. Trust me, I live that "fly quite, be a good neighbor" crap everyday.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
598 Posts
This is, to me, a very interesting discussion. Several years ago, my wife and I were returning from Gatlinburg on a Gold Wing. there was an HD with straight pipes and an 18-wheeler in the opposing lanes of the interstate. The HD drowned out the semi. It was an incredible noise, and I was glad I was going the other way. I don't care for extremely loud music, even t hough, as a drum major, I stood in front of a 300-piece band in a confined band room and conducted while they played at full blast.

I don't like extremely loud cars, pick-ups, semis or BIKES. I have TORS on my Speedmaster, but they only make it sound like a Triumph. In an unusual and controlled situation, I might be able to get it to the 80db level, but it would take a special effort in a special environment.

We seem to be in an age where many are pushing the extremes in all areas to see when they will be censured. One old judge said, The right to swing one's fist ends at another's nose." An occasional loud bike doesn't bother me. However, a herd of loud HDs is deafening and irritating. I do not agree that ridiculously loud noise is a part of the biking experience, and I am vehemently opposed to any more of our rights being taken taken away.

I guess take on this whole issue is, "Why can't we all be a little compromising in respecting the rights of others?" Or maybe I'm just getting old.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Brolane not to worry let them continue to get the extremely loud pipes and over the course of a few years the states will step in and the will fine and limit their ability to be intrusive. We just have to sit back and wait. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
An occasional loud bike doesn't bother me. However, a herd of loud HDs is deafening and irritating. I do not agree that ridiculously loud noise is a part of the biking experience, and I am vehemently opposed to any more of our rights being taken taken away.

I guess take on this whole issue is, "Why can't we all be a little compromising in respecting the rights of others?" Or maybe I'm just getting old.
Getting old? Well, maybe we all are, but never admit to it.;)

You hit the nail on the head. Where I have an issue with loud anything is when there are MANY of them at once. I live near a bar and on any Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night in the Summer you will hear some of these Borguett (sp. and I dont care) types start the bike and rev it for about 5 minutes only to turn it off an walk back inside for another beer. THIS IS WHAT I CANT STAND!!! Both needless revving (at stoplights too) and drinking and riding. I know that my bike idles just fine when I am sitting at a redlight so I don't feel the need to rev it at all. I guess it is kind of like revving your lawn mower when you stop to wipe the sweat off of your brow. I don't do that either.:D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts