Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Keep in mind that I am quite probably still a bit drunk after the NYE festivities, but being a Brookly-nite and a dedicated year round rider, my $0.02 are as follows:

The article is a load of horse shiit. First and foremost, high revs are the only thing I can rely on to be heard in dangerous traffic situations. The S3 horn is absolutely worthless, whereas knacking the throttle gets a caged driver's attention immediately. How is the sentence after footnote 13 supposed to make any sense unless the car in front of you is traveling faster than the speed of sound? Just because they didn't bother to conduct a proper educated study about the added safety of louder pipes, doesn't make their statement so.

Second, I am running an absolutely stock and ''noise compliant'' exhaust and I still set off car alarms. Last I remember, a stock exhaust runs at around 92dB idle, a fairly standard number for most bikes. Does this mean all bikes can get a minimum $500 fine as soon as they leave the dealer and without modification?

Finally, the current legislation of an 82dB limit from 50ft away is way more than sufficient. Keep in mind that the average city street in Manhattan already produces ~90dB of noise. Straight pipes produce well in excess of 100dB. If they are truly trying to attack riders with such mods, why are they trying to further lower the dB limit? The real cause of the problem (from 4 cases I saw in the street) is actually cops letting bikers go after pulling them over, or not bothering to pull them over at all. Fact of the matter is, if this gets passed, cops will literally be able to pull over any biker, rather than just the local chopper rider who is compensating for his tiny prick, his midlife crisis, and/or not being hugged enough when he was a kid.

As much as I love the roar of an italian twin or an english triple, I understand how noise can be a nuisance but this is absolutely preposterous. I hope this will get swiftly denied. Thanks for linking this, be350ka, and to everyone a happy new year!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'll start the new year by taking a very contrary view to the loud pipe issue - I've got a neighbor with a HD and VERY loud pipes who likes to sit in his garage and tweak his bike - or maybe try to keep it running? - for what seems like HOURS at a time. From over a block away, I can't listen to my own radio at a reasonable level over his racket. And there are a couple of "rice rockets" whose travel I can follow for miles without leaving home just from their audible footprint.

And I believe the current regs - according the the AMA website - is 86 db at 50', which is pretty loud - many tables list a diesel truck going 45 mph to be quieter than that at 50'.

There are plenty of manufacturers who make equipment for cars and bikes that have to be approved for use - it is reasonable that aftermarket pipes should meet some noise regulation. After all, the TORS are, by definition, OFF ROAD mufflers.

Let's face it - cops aren't going to be sitting by the side of the road with sound level meters to catch bikes emitting 88db - especially since the proposed regs target stopped and parked bikes. They're going to use the regs - as they do the existing regs - to stick it to people who insist on running obviously out-of-spec noise boxes.

And please - PLEASE - don't repeat the "loud pipes save lives" mantra. That's a saw that has been disproved too many times to revisit here.

So please, go ahead and run your pipes with no muffler at all, if that's what you want. Just don't ride through my neighborhood at 2 AM at 8K rpm. Death Valley or the Australian outback might be a much better venue.

And Happy New Year!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'll start the new year by taking a very contrary view to the loud pipe issue - I've got a neighbor with a HD and VERY loud pipes who likes to sit in his garage and tweak his bike - or maybe try to keep it running? - for what seems like HOURS at a time. From over a block away, I can't listen to my own radio at a reasonable level over his racket. And there are a couple of "rice rockets" whose travel I can follow for miles without leaving home just from their audible footprint.
You must live in a quiet neighborhood, I can't hear the bikes for more then a few seconds and I live a block from a highway. Not to mention, if you've never heard a downtown during the day in New York, Boston or Phili that 86db is pretty much a joke. It's simply another thing they can make money off of us for.

And I believe the current regs - according the the AMA website - is 86 db at 50', which is pretty loud - many tables list a diesel truck going 45 mph to be quieter than that at 50'.
That diesel would be going down hill without the the throttle on then. I was a hazmat/safety coordinator when I was in the service so I had to get out the meter and test our equipment for OSHA PPE compliance, basically weather or not we needed ear plugs or not. A 12 ton stake-bed generated 96db SITTING STILL at 1800RPM from 50ft. Bear in mind it was pretty close to brand new maybe a 2006 model. The 4cly gas forklift on site was even louder at 99db and my bike (****s and grins here) was under 90db till 7000rpm then skyrocketed to 126 before redline, with the same Mig highmount I bought in 2001 that I would be shocked if there was any fiberglass left in it. Anyway, the windblast in your helmet is louder then 86db, and thats a quiet helmet, I tried that too, my sheoi RF1000 was 104db inside at 80mph.

There are plenty of manufacturers who make equipment for cars and bikes that have to be approved for use - it is reasonable that aftermarket pipes should meet some noise regulation. After all, the TORS are, by definition, OFF ROAD mufflers.
Yes, they are called offroad mufflers to get around the idoitic EPA noise regulations.

Let's face it - cops aren't going to be sitting by the side of the road with sound level meters to catch bikes emitting 88db - especially since the proposed regs target stopped and parked bikes. They're going to use the regs - as they do the existing regs - to stick it to people who insist on running obviously out-of-spec noise boxes.
Yeah, well the ****ers got me in Denver and I was just passing through with an out of state tag. The best part was the cop made me rev the bike UNTIL I failed it. For a lovely $500 fine.

And please - PLEASE - don't repeat the "loud pipes save lives" mantra. That's a saw that has been disproved too many times to revisit here.
So you've never been in your cage and noticed a bike in your blind spot because of it's exhaust. I have.

And Happy New Year!
And to you :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Cheers, Tripped1,

Yes, I DO live in a quiet neighborhood. Conscious decision, after having lived in NYC for a good part of my life, so yes, I do know what city streets sound like. Most references put average noise levels to be between 70-80 db in most cities. Of course, the key word there is "average".

As you well know, OSHA readings are conducted very differently than environmental measurements - for OSHA purposes, reflections from nearby surfaces are perfectly ok, and OSHA is concerned not so much with raw levels, but with TWA - time weighted averages. Like the proverbial "apples and oranges", interesting but not relevant.

And yes, I'm sure many (most?) manufacturers who label their pipes as "for off-road use only" do so with a wink. Like the 90% window tints and "off road" lights we see on cages all the time. I don't mind when THEY get ticketed either.

Sorry about your $500 fine (!) in Denver. Forgive me for being just a bit dubious about your actions - were you running straight pipes at 8K at 3 am on a Sunday, or did you really piss him off, and he was just looking for SOMETHING to hang a ticket on? (been there, done that...when I was younger and even stupider)

Yes again, I HAVE been startled into sudden awareness of a two wheeler approaching - FAST - by the sound of his pipes. Usually when he's about a car length behind and closing. But I'd MUCH rather be startled by the sound of his horn a couple of seconds earlier if he's going to pass me at 25 over the speed limit and believes I may not know he's there. And yes, my speedy has an air horn so I can SELECTIVELY let others know where I am. Loud pipes don't give enough time to wake a cager ahead of you, unless your pipes point forward...

I (still) love going fast - I didn't buy a 120 HP motorcycle to putter down Main Street at 30. I believe I stand a much better chance of going fast if I don't have every parked cop stirred to action by the sound of a bike going by at 100 db.

But by all means, go with the loudest pipe you can find - preferably not in my (quiet) neighborhood. It takes the attention from me going by at speed limit +20.:Happy:

·
Registered
201 Posts
8)

My escapade with the Denver PD was around 4:30PM on a Sunday a little bit out of Downtown in the suburbs, no speeding or any other fines or warnings. JUST the noise violation. Pulled off the interstate for gas and a cop followed my into the gas station to "certify noise comnpliance" I have a highmount, we both knew the bike had a modified exhaust, and that it most likely wasn't going to pass ANY sort of noise test.

What pissed me off was the fact that I was in no way a resident NOR was my bike registered in Colorado, thats the same thing as ticketing me in Texas for not having a Texas inspection on a vehicle registered in New Mexico (which both of my vehicle were at the time).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I live in a place in witch from my front door i can not only see a field full of cows but also a field full of deer on any given night. Only one time have i ever heard anything for more than 10 seconds after it has driven by. That happened to be a late model race car the neighbor down the street took out to "roll through the gears". Yes he was ticketed, and rightfully so.

The problem with motorcycles is that the Harley riders, the rockets and other people that do take the exhaust off and replace it with an empty pipe, are the ones that make the bad name for the people (like myself) who want Performance exhaust. Yes why give a bike like this EXTRA power but then again why not. Yes we do want that sweet sound and yes it is loud....AT high RPM. I guess my problem is that people who do have the "illegal" exhaust and are responsible and don't hang out at 8k rpm all day are the ones that shouldn't have to worry about things. Its the people that come racing around at 95 in a 55 scaring the **** outta people that should get the ticket to compliment the other they rightfully deserve. Or the incessant "tinkering" Harleyer's do in the garage at 12am with a 12pack in them.

All in all, the regulations they have in place now are fine. They just need to enforce them better and more reasonably.

IMHO

·
Registered
89 Posts
Let's face it - cops aren't going to be sitting by the side of the road with sound level meters to catch bikes emitting 88db
I live in NH and the cops do just that. They set up road blocks in Manch, near the seacoast and other popular ride spots. They pulled EVERY bike over on a beautiful august day and tested them. Writing many tickets as they go along.

Curious... anyone know what the db on the TOR's is?

·
Registered
361 Posts
City ordinances matter. Where I live, the next town over is a lot more stringent on window tints than my town. If you drive through their town, however, you cant be surprised if you get pulled over. You'll still have to pay the ticket, too....usually a "fix-it" ticket.

It's kind of funny that courtesy is becoming a law.
I know that in my current neighborhood, as well as where I used to live, I would never start my bike after 9pm or before 8am. If necessary, I would roll it down the street a bit at least.
This was agreed upon with several bikers in the neighborhood, harley riders n all, just during casual conversation.
If I came in late, I'd idle it through the neighborhood.

but OH, what about the people who work third shift? shouldn't we be courteous to them, too? After all, they may be sleeping in the daytime. And what about people who take naps? God forbid they wake up!

Imo, dB laws are pretty stupid. I know loud pipes dont save lives, but you can have loud pipes and still be courteous.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree with this one.

I generally make a conscious effort NOT to let my bike rev at all (like 3rd gear 25mph) when I'm coming in later or leaving early. When I'm on days I leave before 7am, this isn't an issue though all of my neighbors leave about the same time I do so I'm not waking anyone.

I also work 3rd sift at the moment. Of course my place is set back from any roads and behind another house. But I also sleep like a log so thats all good. Bombs could be going off outside and I wouldn't notice till they hit the house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts