Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I put this LED headlamp bulb in my '73 Tiger 4 months & 3500 miles ago.

I live in congested area with side streets, driveways, parking lots & lots of places where cars give you no respect, don't see you, or just pull out in front of you.

I've been paying close attention to this for some time now. I wondered if the LED headlamp would make much difference?

I've had John ride by me why I observed on his bike sitting at stop sign. I've had him follow me while I rode his bike. The LED lamp is many times brighter to the eye than the standard 414 bulb. Yet it doesn't dazzle you, but you just don't want to look at it.

From my observation trying to not let opinion get in the way, I can say without question this LED bulb gives me a huge amount more respect than prior headlamp. Cars just simply do not pull out in front of me like they used to. It's uncanny how drivers seem to want to avoid it. They even give you much more respect when they change lanes. I'd never have believed it could make this much difference.

I was experimenting with the bright orange vest for motorcyclist prior. It had minimal effect as far as motorists pulling out in front of you or cutting you off. That surprised me as I expected it would make a noticeable difference, but not the case in my experience. Maybe following you it may keep motorists at bay, but they don't seem to tail gate much anyway.

For $35.00 US I think this is a very good bargain for the increased safety I've observed so far. Plus about 1/2 again brighter at night.

This is photo of bulb. Easy to purchase in USA & UK. Has 8 LEDs on each side. Nice side effect is low current consumption, but the surprise for me is the respect I get from cars.
Don

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Now that is a good post OP: well informed, first hand experience recommending a good product or service to similarly interested readers. Well done.
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Very interesting post, thanks Don.
Can you share the manufacturer's name and do you know if they also provide an H4 type bulb?
Cheers,
Ian

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, I don't know who makes them. Just says made in Taiwan. You must look at photos of product from seller. That is the only way to identify it in my experience.

This replaces a 414 bulb. I don't know how it will focus in other reflector. Not polarity sensitive. BPF base.

Regarding H4 LED, many are available, I have no experience with them so I don't know how they will work.

I know this regarding all bulbs, the position of the filaments are specific to reflector/lens. If you change that position you may have lots of light, but no focus so you can't really see better. However motorists seeing you is a different perspective & may not relate to filament position. Not a simple subject.

So any LED you get must replicate the focus of the original bulb. That was the main problem with the earlier 2 LED BPF. The LEDs were far apart so lots of light, but no focus.

Another thought for motorists seeing you is an LED pilot light. I have no experience with these & don't know if the motorist's view of my LED headlamp would be different from a LED pilot bulb. I'm not using a pilot bulb so that is not an option for me.

I have never personally seen LED pilot bulb in operation so I can't compare them. From what others say & my hunch would be if you have H4 installing LED in pilot bulb for daytime use would be beneficial for being seen by others.

H4 is substantially brighter than 414 bulb, so LED unless very specifically focused for H4 headlamp unit might be worse for night riding from the rider's perspective. In my observation the effect of 414 during the day is at best better than nothing. 414 at night is pitiful at best.

Would be interested if others with LED headlamp or pilot bulb daytime use have any thoughts on the effect it's had on them.
Don

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Don -

I think that's the same one I got from BCS about a year ago - love mine, but don't ride at night and if I do it's just after dusk and on one of my newer bikes, so I don't know what it looks like from away. I like how it lights up my driveway at night tho......

Haven't noticed effect on cars during daytime as almost all my riding is in the country, meeting few cars at intersections.

But I like knowing I have a brighter pure white light that is much more visible than the old 55w high beams........

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
LED's are brighter than a Halogen H4, but is the light of a better quality?

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Would be interested if others with LED headlamp or pilot bulb daytime use have any thoughts on the effect it's had on them.
Don
Two "eagle eye" bulbs beside LED headlight seems to get even some of the "cell phone drivers" attention :BigEyes I believe it is the irregular pattern of light that demands the extra attention. The difference in the drivers' attention from a regular headlight, both day or night, is quite startling actually. Easy (and inexpensive) to modify. Won't ever go back to a regular headlight. (Thanks Rambo for giving me the idea!) :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Don,

I fitted (from Paul Goff here in the UK) his BA9 LED pilot light to my T100R a while ago, to use as a daylight running light (DRL). I can't say whether or not it makes me more visible, but the light is diffused over the whole of the headlight lens, and is a very bright white - so it must be a big improvement. It's now a very noticeable white disc as you look at the front of the bike.

I have just fitted his BPF dual polarity 12V headlight bulb (and the taillight bulb too). One day I hope to get my sight back. It's very, very bright, brilliant white, and I made the mistake of looking directly at it.

I'm waiting for a dry night to take it out and see what it's like - and I'll report back when I have. Given that it's definitely autumn here, it rains frequently and the farmers are working hard at transferring as much soil as possible from the fields onto our rural roads, (they are harvesting maize for winter cattle feed) it might take a few days.

But, the early signs are looking very promising. The beam pattern definitely changes between low and high beam, and I'll need to align headlight too.

Andy

·
Registered
359 Posts
I fitted a H4 led bulb to one of my other bikes - it was more noticeable than the stock halogen and I definitely noticed a decrease in people pulling out from junctions but the first time out on the bike in the dark on an unlit country road easily exposed its lack of Lumens. Now swapped over to PIAA Xenon (as fitted in my Triumph). Not as white a light as the LED unit but far more useful when reading the road ahead.

·
6,298 Posts
interested if others with LED headlamp or pilot bulb daytime use have any thoughts on the effect it's had on them.
the light is diffused over the whole of the headlight lens, and is a very bright white
very noticeable white disc as you look at the front of the bike.
:nod This is what I've known since I started using 20W QH pilot bulbs in about 1979, when I was working as a dispatch rider in London. Visibility must be good because I've also always used 'em at night under streetlamps, originally when the T160's had standard alternators, but now when headlamp dip would dazzle.

I don't know who makes them.
This is the one you bought from CBS? If so, I thought your last thread on the subject worked out it was CRDC?

H4 led
first time out on the bike in the dark on an unlit country road easily exposed its lack of Lumens.
Have you considered wiring it like modern car headlamps - dip doesn't go off when main's on?

Regards,

·
Registered
280 Posts
Have you considered wiring it like modern car headlamps - dip doesn't go off when main's on?

Regards,
Hi Stu,

Not sure that you are right there old bean. That's not how dual filament bulbs work, at least on the cars I have known anyway. When the main beam circuit is energised, the dipped beam circuit isn't. i.e. the 2 circuits toggle and use a common earth. If you are referring to twin bulb headlights, these have an earth/return for each filament.

I am sure you would agree that it would not be good practice to modify the bike wiring to provide a 12v feed to both bulbs when they share a common earth intended for a single filament return. However, LED bulbs are lower power I guess,

HTH,
Ian

·
Registered
306 Posts
Interesting thread.
I have a strip of LEDs I got off Ebay cable tied to the bottom yoke. Wired into the pilot bulb circuit. Pilot bulb is also LED.
I use them as daylight running lights. Along with loud exhausts I feel it gives me some protection against the tin boxes.
Big problems here recently with aged drivers pressing the wrong pedals!
Anyone have an Ebay link for the LED headlight bulb? I can't seem to find it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Stuart, Yes I got the 16 LED BPF bulb from Classic British Spares. I would wager it's the exact same LED bulb CRDC now sells. Visually looks the same. But I don't know who makes the bulb. No manufacture is shown.

I had prior bought a 2 LED BPF from CRDC that didn't focus well at all for night riding. It wasn't as bright looking in daytime either. I expect that also was due to the focus. It had 1 large LED on each side that was actually brighter than the 8 on each side of the 16 LED bulb.

Dave got a 2 LED bulb from CBS. In every way was exactly the same as the one I got from CRDC. So again I think they were made in same factory. We swapped these 2LED bulbs back/forth & they shined the same. Both had the dark area right where you wanted to look on roadway. Also the spread from low/high beam was almost 5 feet! This was a horrible bulb for night riding. Worse than the 414 to my eyes.

Because I had to right at night from work or got back after dark on pleasure rides, seeing at night was part of my criteria so I put the 414 bulb in, until I determined the new 16 LED bulb would be an improvement.

On an aside looking at motorcycle bulbs on CRDC site the old 2 LED is still being sold in APF version. Anyone wanting to see the difference can compare APF to the new BPF. Except the base the old 2 LED looked like the APF. The thick center shaft spreads the LED away from the position the old filaments were. The new BPF is not perfect, but good enough.

As motorcyclists, we have a lot of control over our fate. No drinking, Maintaining safe speed for conditions, Safe riding practices of every type, Properly maintaining tires & motorcycle, and many other things.

The main thing we have no control over is a motorist not seeing us. Anything we can do to help motorists to see & avoid us is a good thing in my estimation. That's why I posted my thoughts. Again I was most surprised at how much difference it made. I see I'm not alone in that observation.

Here's an interesting link on statistics.

https://www.michiganautolaw.com/blog/2017/12/04/1-cause-motorcycle-accidents/

Don

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the 2 LED BPF bulb next to a 414. The dark spot is clearly visible on my garage door. I feel it looked dark in head lamp during daytime also.
Don

Attachments

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Two "eagle eye" bulbs beside LED headlight seems to get even some of the "cell phone drivers" attention :BigEyes I believe it is the irregular pattern of light that demands the extra attention. The difference in the drivers' attention from a regular headlight, both day or night, is quite startling actually. Easy (and inexpensive) to modify. Won't ever go back to a regular headlight. (Thanks Rambo for giving me the idea!) :cool:
That headlight looks very bright to me. What bulb you running in it? I use a 45/55w H4 Halogen which is very bright. Bikers I follow complain about high beam brightness.:laugh2: RR

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That headlight looks very bright to me. What bulb you running in it? I use a 45/55w H4 Halogen which is very bright. Bikers I follow complain about high beam brightness.:laugh2: RR
Same story here with H4...I never ride in a straight line when there other vehicles in sight, random weaving and it seems to get attention...I also find a twist of the throttle and the traffic image in the mirrors get very small...I live in a rural area so theres little traffic to deal with...But riding down a narrow two lane at 65 MPH and you see a car at a cross road stop sign and wonder if he will pull out at the wrong time..

·
Registered
11,442 Posts

I don't think it's the bulb but rather it is the Crystal headlight shell I converted from an H4 halogen to an H4 LED bulb a couple of years ago. Better reflection bowl. See post here: https://www.triumphrat.net/9340330-post3869.html

P.S. RR, the bikers I ride with complain they only ever see my tail light. ;) :D

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hi Don, have you tried this bulb against a proper light board or beam setter? I fitted an LED H4 to my 66 using a new H4 lens, on the beam setter I lost all pattern and ended up with a blob of light. Definitely brighter and much whiter light but dangerous to use in oncoming traffic. It also turned it's toes up and died as soon I passed 6000 rpm.

Rod

1 - 20 of 44 Posts