Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped the bike off at my locat Triumph dealer today to repair a problem that didn't get finished over the summer.

Symptom: While in neutral, rev engine quickly then let it drop to idle. When OAT is warm, the bike sometimes hides the problem, but during colder weather the engine would drop below the normal idle point and usually die. My last ride to SC required me to maintain a cracked throttle before coming to a stop , or the engin die.

My mechanic thinks its a bad 02 sensor. He's running some more diagnostics to see exactly what the problem is. The bike currently has 21,000 miles on her.

Any body ever experience such symptoms? Any idea what this might be?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
528 Posts
mine had a similar fault last spring the tech thought it might be a stepper motor,but wanted to try just remapping it first, so far so good ,a remap cured it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rs_tt,

Warranty took care of the faulty stepper valve about a year after buying her. She's ran really good until last year, when she began picking various bad habits (about the time I left CA for PA). I had her ECU remapped last August and she ran GREAT, but still had idle issues from time to time. Now that it's colder, the idle issues has become problematic. Fortunately my dealer said they'll take care it (labor), when I brought it back. Sooo, now she's back at the Triumph Doctor.

I'm arleady goin through withdrawels... :(

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$200 and a rubber idle washer later my dealer say it's working fine. I'm hoping to pick it up Wednesday evening. And give her a nice spankin :wink:

Just two days without my bike and I'm goin through withdrawels :knkknk:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put several hundred miles on her now.

Rubber idle washer replaced with new ~ $75
New Chain and sprockets (18T front) ~ $50
New ZX10R front brake M/C ~ $30
New Brake pads ~ $25

An afternoon of smiles ~ PRICELESS

The bike is running better than it has in about a year. That rubber washer has stabilized start-up issues, idle issues and just all around stabalized the engine at every RPM.

The 18T sprocket has made the 02ST more peppy and seems to be more at home at the gear ratio. I love the little bit of extra torque.

The new/slightly used ZX10R M/C has been flawless, but its only been several hundred miles so far. I'll post more on this later.

New brake pads...well there new anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts