Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Had an interesting day in relation to this thread. Jo (our branch secretary) and I rode to Mumbles (Gower peninsula, S Wales coast) for an ice cream. Just the 140 mile round trip :) When we got there, there were about 30 big, immaculate, shiny Harley cruisers on the harbour. Men all with shaved heads and goatees, leather waistcoats and patches, the wives all in smart leathers and nice hair - in other words, the riders were normal men playing at badass. None of them would speak to us (we were on a Thruxton and a Trident). In fact, the only bikers who would give us the time of day were a couple on a Sportster who arrived separately from the big group, and a couple on a pair of Ninjas who turned out to be friendly and pleasant. The badass Harleys left in a group, with massive noise and presence, and the impression of motorcyclists they gave was, frankly, horrible. Everyone in the area had to stop all conversation for five minutes so that a bunch of pretenders could make an 'impression'.

It was a nice day, and there were a lot of bikes out. Here are the results of my totally unscientific survey. I waved/nodded at every bike I saw. Response rates:

Sports bikes - 100%
Adventure bikes - 90%
Harleys - 2%.

No matter how good Harleys might be, this is why I could never bring myself to own one.

H

·
0 Posts
BD, how can that be? I have been led to believe that only American HD riders could be that rude.:(

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Someone should point out to them that the very fact they had all stopped at an ice cream parlor kinda undermines the hard guy/toughness act. Don'tcha think?

Not that I have anything against ice cream....

H

·
0 Posts
Someone should point out to them that the very fact they had all stopped at an ice cream parlor kinda undermines the hard guy/toughness act. Don'tcha think?

Not that I have anything against ice cream....

Good point. Do English bad a$$es have tea and crumpets also?

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Good point. Do English bad a$$es have tea and crumpets also?
Usually I do, yes.

I think saphena prefers coffee

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
I see what you did there.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
BD, how can that be? I have been led to believe that only American HD riders could be that rude.:(
Oh, we have our home-grown d!ckheads as well. The interesting point for me was that I have spoken with riders from actual bike gangs (i.e. older bikes, club patches etc) and they have mostly been fine. It's the pretenders I can't stand. These bikes were almost all new, heavily laden with accessories, and if you could ignore the riders' appearance it was just like the GoldWing Owners' Sunday outing. Add the shaved heads, goatees and heavily-decorated leather waistcoats, and you realise it's a bunch of middle-managers pretending to be something they are not. Seriously, the sound of 30-odd bikes leaving was deafening, to the point where I, and the other riders I was talking to, were turning round to apologise to the other customers, and hoping they weren't bracketing us all together.

To be fair to the HD riders and their lack of conversation you were at a place called Mumbles.
Hehe, should have seen that one coming :)

It is an actual place, and very nice too. Not an actual ice cream 'parlor' as such, but a harbour with lots of boats, a yacht club, cafes and plenty of seating in the sunshine. And an ice cream stand, with proper Italian stuff. Peaceful and relaxing for everyone, until Hell's Accountants turn up.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I saw a nice Sporty today. Looked great except for the open sounding pipes. I think Sportsters have an amazing potential to sound awesome if many of their owners just realize that louder doesn't mean cooler and instead put on or make some nice sounding exhaust.
Many of them think the open pipes run better but in most cases its the opposite.
Guess being loud adds to the "look at me" syndrome.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
It seems the HD riders of today are the same people as they were when they were younger as children. Especially the "1%ers".
Reminds me of the little boy trying to get his mommy's attention whilst standing on a divingboard. "Look at me, look at me, look at me, look at me, mommy!"

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
While pulling up to a gas pump, a group of loud bikes pulled up to the next island. They all had to announce their presence with their amplified flatulence before shutting down to fuel. I waited until they had shut down before revving my stock Sprint while loudly shouting "Here I am. Here I am.".

I don't know if they got my message, but I got a kick out of it.

Reactions: Stich

·
Registered
2020 Triumph T120
23 Posts
Guess when I saw the headline "Interesting encounter with a Harley rider", I thought it would be a story about your doctor or lawyer you ran into on the road. Guess not, whoops!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Miks, thank you for your post to bring this useless thread back to life where I could see it to comment. Arguing about taste is a waste of time and server space or breath if in person. The ancient Romans already knew this and said: De gustibus est non disputandum. Wiki has it.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
So, you're wasting your time telling us we are wasting our time?

Priceless!

Reactions: BRG-BIRD

·
Registered
2020 Triumph T120
23 Posts
A little satire about Harley riders once being a gang of rugged individuals that didn't mind working on their bikes, as much as riding them. Now, it's doctors/lawyers once a year getting on the bike after not shaving for the month!

I agree about the ancient Romans not wanting to waste server space...probably why the Roman Empire, with all of its innovative methods in the day, sort of lost world power after a time.

·
Premium Member
17,472 Posts
See, this is why TriumphRat is so entertaining. Where else can you go to find out what Roman Empire internet forums think about how Harleys compare to other brands of motorcycles?

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
But I thought it was the Romans who originally invented the Harley and in honour of them, the technology hasn't changed since :D
Also, we're getting so many zombie threads resurrecting, I'm starting to think the apocalypse is just around the corner.

·
Registered
2020 Triumph T120
23 Posts
You have a point...but that being said, Harley's did put fuel injection on their bikes across the model line, way before the Japanese figured it out. BMW's were a quick adapters, they were on it early in the game with the K bikes. Harley also said - wait, why a chain, lets put this belt drive thing on since it is quiet, maintenance free, lightweight and less complex than a shaft'ey!

Those Romans and their innovations of roads and running water, AND the V-twin air cooled motor HAVE to be the reason they were considered to be on the cutting edge 😐...Despite the engineering, a lot of riders here just LOVE them, they do have some soul and out in the open country, some serious expression of FREEDOM and the RIDE! I think that is what I like about my Toad King...er, Road King.

Final conclusion - Triumph still has a chain drive problem!

121 - 140 of 145 Posts