Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yeah, but how does that work if they're wearing a full-face helmet?
Awesome quote.
In America harley's represent some kind of jingoistic, hillbilly, redneck lifestyle.They are like a pick up truck you get an everyman kind of felling, but they are not for everyone. But this thread has been polarizing. There are a lot of dicks in the motorcycle community no matter what they ride. I think deep down inside some guys wish they could dress like a pirate, get drunk, and hook up with some skank on their fatboy. I did it when i was single on my Harley. Some antibiotics and a little therapy and your all set.

Isn't this about riding a motorcycle? I don't care what anyone else rides, but i do see other bikes i like Harley's. ducatti, bmw. There are bikes I hate the looks but are fun to ride anyone here ever ride a gold wing? I hate the look but wow what an amazing ride...vintage, modern hell i even like scooters..
maybe if ill hate one group it will be can-ams..i don't get that yet

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
The three-wheel thing makes sense in Canada since it snows there 364.5 days a year.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've got a Honda, Triumph, and Victory in the garage and like them all, obviously I'm not driven by the name on the tank.

Most of my friends ride Harleys and none of them want to test ride my Victory because they joke that they know it will perform better but since it's not a Harley they don't want one.

I don't quite understand the HD loyalty thing, especially from those that don't even own one or ride at all. My brother hasn't ridden in almost 30 years but has been talking about getting a HD for over a year now. In fact just today he sent me some CL links for bikes he is interested in. He's looking at 5-10 year old HD's that are listed for 10k, so I pointed out that there are rebates on 2013 Vics right now and he could pick up a model similar to the HD for probably 12k brand new. Heck, a buddy of mine has a very nice 01 Honda Shadow Ace for sale that my brother could probably pickup for under $1500 but he won't even look at it because it's not a HD. This is a guy that hasn't ridden in 30 years and never ridden a HD but is dead set that he has to have a Harley and nothing else will do.

I don't get it.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I've got a Honda, Triumph, and Victory in the garage and like them all, obviously I'm not driven by the name on the tank.

Most of my friends ride Harleys and none of them want to test ride my Victory because they joke that they know it will perform better but since it's not a Harley they don't want one.

I don't quite understand the HD loyalty thing, especially from those that don't even own one or ride at all. My brother hasn't ridden in almost 30 years but has been talking about getting a HD for over a year now. In fact just today he sent me some CL links for bikes he is interested in. He's looking at 5-10 year old HD's that are listed for 10k, so I pointed out that there are rebates on 2013 Vics right now and he could pick up a model similar to the HD for probably 12k brand new. Heck, a buddy of mine has a very nice 01 Honda Shadow Ace for sale that my brother could probably pickup for under $1500 but he won't even look at it because it's not a HD. This is a guy that hasn't ridden in 30 years and never ridden a HD but is dead set that he has to have a Harley and nothing else will do.

I don't get it.
Feel the same way, I've had similar experience with people I know.
It's irrational IMO.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Feel the same way, I've had similar experience with people I know.
It's irrational IMO.
When it comes to motorcycles, rationality is less important than feeling.
Perfect and succinct.

I'll add this.

When it comes to Harley Davidson, the feeling is derived more from the reputation, lifestyle and advertising than the reality of the motorcycles themselves.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
When it comes to Harley Davidson, the feeling is derived more from the reputation, lifestyle and advertising than the reality of the motorcycles themselves.

To SOME people that is, especially to those that have never owned nor ridden one! :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
When it comes to motorcycles, rationality is less important than feeling.
That is exactly the case here! I've tried to explain that bikes have come a long way since his 1984 Kawasaki 454LTD, and that he has changed a bit too and he really needs to ride some bikes before he can determine what works for him. I started riding again about 10 years ago and went through several bikes before I figured out how I wanted to ride and what bike best fit those needs. I enjoyed riding them all but they didn't all suit my needs, however they did all allow me to spend time on 2 wheels instead of sitting on the couch browsing craigslist.

Last night my GF told me to challenge him to a race with her this weekend. Her on her CBR250 and him on the bike he's been talking about for the last 1.5 years. :) Maybe that will get him to realize he's wasting time looking and needs to s... or get off the pot.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I was talking in the hotel parking lot with a guy from Mass. on his way to Sturgis. He was riding his second Victory and was very happy with it. He said that he considered a Triumph Rocket 3 Touring; but, he thought that the seat height was too high for him (he was only 5' 5"). A nice guy on a Harley that just drove up came over the join the conversation. Said that he just bought his seventh Harley; but, wishes that he had bought the Victory instead.

The common thread was that we all were having a great time touring.

BTW, we were in Animosa, Iowa. Site of the National Motorcycle Museum. Well worth a visit if you find yourself in the area.

·
Registered
110 Posts

I don't get it.
Being a tech nerd, I've had this exact same experience with Apple products vs all other brands. People get it in their head that they want an iPhone, iMac, whatever. Then they want to do all the things that you can do on Windows or Android. I'm like "you wanted an Apple product, with all the inherent limitations. You got it."

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
Most of those who don't share my values or appreciate my judgement are either wrong, stupid, or both. Many, I suspect are actually bad people. I'm really pleased with my ability to tolerate them. I think a lot of people like me for that reason.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
I have an iPhone and I'd really like it if it would get reception. Honestly, every time a leaf flutters overhead, I lose reception.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Most of those who don't share my values or appreciate my judgement are either wrong, stupid, or both. Many, I suspect are actually bad people. I'm really pleased with my ability to tolerate them. I think a lot of people like me for that reason.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

+1 on that! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
28 Posts
The wife and I were away on vacation in the Pocono Mountains here in PA the past week. On Friday we went for a ride to visit some historic sites on the Sprint. We were at a Coal Mine museum and it turned out they only accepted cash, and all we had was plastic. The clerk told me where I could find an ATM a couple miles up the road.

On the way back from the ATM I was stopped at a light in a right turn only lane. A guy pulls up next to me on a Harley, looks over and me and nods. That was more acknowledgment than I expected. Then it goes where I NEVER expected.

He yells over at me "Nice bike, Man! I am picking up a Triumph next week, getting a Rocket Three. I HATE this bike, it's a piece of $h!t, I will NEVER buy another Harley!"

Then the light changed and we went our different ways.

You could have knocked me over with a feather.
It is not so much the bike brand or model but who maintains that bike no matter what the brand and model.

Peace.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Although I'm completely satisfied with my Thruxton, there are a few Harley models I wouldn't mind owning, especially a Buell or a V-Rod.

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Although I'm completely satisfied with my Thruxton, there are a few Harley models I wouldn't mind owning, especially a Buell or a V-Rod.
I saw a nice Sporty today. Looked great except for the open sounding pipes. I think Sportsters have an amazing potential to sound awesome if many of their owners just realize that louder doesn't mean cooler and instead put on or make some nice sounding exhaust.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I saw a nice Sporty today. Looked great except for the open sounding pipes. I think Sportsters have an amazing potential to sound awesome if many of their owners just realize that louder doesn't mean cooler and instead put on or make some nice sounding exhaust.
I like your way of thinking.....I bought a GP can for my Daytona last year....smaller, WAAY lighter, and ultimately way louder.....I put up with it for a few months then finally went back to my old can.....I like it much better that way.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I wouldn't mind picking up a used Buell Lightning. Nice looking bike that might be fun to ride and mess around with, i.e., "farklerize".

101 - 120 of 145 Posts