Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I were away on vacation in the Pocono Mountains here in PA the past week. On Friday we went for a ride to visit some historic sites on the Sprint. We were at a Coal Mine museum and it turned out they only accepted cash, and all we had was plastic. The clerk told me where I could find an ATM a couple miles up the road.

On the way back from the ATM I was stopped at a light in a right turn only lane. A guy pulls up next to me on a Harley, looks over and me and nods. That was more acknowledgment than I expected. Then it goes where I NEVER expected.

He yells over at me "Nice bike, Man! I am picking up a Triumph next week, getting a Rocket Three. I HATE this bike, it's a piece of $h!t, I will NEVER buy another Harley!"

Then the light changed and we went our different ways.

You could have knocked me over with a feather.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Apparently he had some issues with his bike. There's more HD riders than not who wouldn't part with there bikes for anything. Just like us.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Funny story.

A few months ago we met areal nice guy who had a brand new HD trike. He was a long-time HD rider, and yet he still didn't love them and had nothing but trouble with him. He couldn't explain why he still rode them. :(

Last month I was picking up my Vision from routine service at a big HD/Victory dealer in PA. Some poor schnook showed up with his week-old HD pulled in on a trailer because it wasn't working. Sad. :(

H

·
0 Posts
I have to say that it isn't just HD or any particular brand of bike that causes us, as riders, to switch brands.

I rode with a young guy several months ago who had gone through 3-4 Triumphs over a 10 year period, yet when we met he was on a Suzuki V strom 1000 instead of the ST he had last we met.

Seems there was an electrical problem that neither the local dealer or Triumph warranty department would/could fix over the year he had owned the bike. Customer service poorly practised, stupid or at least incompetent mechs and probably a lemon bike ruined his desire for a Triumph. This can happen to any brand at any time.

We talk a great deal here about Triumph finally building a bike to compete with the watch makers from Japan. Almost every bike built today, world wide, uses similar factory designs, tooling, components and testing requirements. It comes down to the intended use of that designed bike not meeting the expectations of the buyer that cause us to switch. (or old age in the case of a trike)

Funny how we come to believe "our" brand is the greatest on the road when there are just as many from another brand believing "theirs" is the brand of the century.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I don't think anyone ever purchases a brand new bike, thinking that they are pieces of crap. Folks change their mind sometimes.

A very quick perusal of any one of our various "Tech" forums here reveals issues with new Triumph's as well from time to time. Triumph's are excellent bikes, and we surely don't need to attempt to downgrade, or pull down other brands in order to make that point.

Let the excellence stand on it's own merit. Show a little class.:D

Bob

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think anyone ever purchases a brand new bike, thinking that they are pieces of crap. Folks change their mind sometimes.

A very quick perusal of any one of our various "Tech" forums here reveals issues with new Triumph's as well from time to time. Triumph's are excellent bikes, and we surely don't need to attempt to downgrade, or pull down other brands in order to make that point.

Bob
Maybe my post came across wrong. I wasn't attempting to put down HD. If I had the money and more room in the garage I would likely buy one myself. What struck me as so odd was someone going out of their way to put down their own bike, especially a H-D, which has such amazing loyalty even when folks have issues with them (as Silverado57 mentioned). I have never encountered someone who basically said "I like the brand of bike you ride and am getting one, my bike sucks". The fact that he was on a Harley, well know for fanatic loyalism, made the experience even more odd.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Different things cause different folks to prefer certain brands. I live in the Midwest of the USA, and have lived in Milwaukee, WI several years ago. The HD brand is so connected to Milwaukee that many riders and aspiring riders do not even consider any other brand, out of a sense of some type of loyalty to their city and region. I was an MSF instructor for about 10 years, several of them in Milwaukee and over and over I had students who were taking the class so that they would feel safe on the HD they planned to buy. When I asked them if they considered any other brand bike, I often was met with puzzled expressions as if I had asked them if they considered a bicycle instead of a motorcycle. And I will admit, part of what attracted me to Triumph had nothing to do with the quality or features of the bike. The name Triumph holds a special cachet for those of us of a certain age who still wish we were Steve McQueen.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

Bob
Speaking of class, I see someone hear being a little too judgmental
BOB.
Let people say what's on there minds. Why do you have to come off like your his parent?
Just saying. :)

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
I can find stories about Triumphs in earlier years leaking oil and having issues. The same can be said about HD, Victory, Indian etc. Newer bikes are much more sound so maybe we accept that people have different tastes in bikes. I have a Goldwing, HD Fatboy and I love them both they handle great.. Next year my third bike will be a Triumph tiger explorer.
:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I own two Harleys and one Triumph.

I've never had so much trouble with a bike as this Triumph. In fact, I could in theory have bought another Harley with the money I've sunk into this thing. (getting on to being two to three grand by now)

Ride once, tow to shop

Ride once, tow to shop

It's getting ridiculous.

But I love it.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Consumers won't put up with POS bikes any more. They'll buy what works well. I had a very nice HD that my brother now owns. He's put more money into it than he paid for it. It wasn't reliability issues. He's got it running like a striped A$$ Ape and handling just about as good as you can get, which on this particular model is pretty good.

Of the 7, no... it's 8 now (he just got another one) bikes he has this HD will be the one he'll be gripping in his cold dead hands.

It doesn't mean the others he has aren't tasty pieces, but we all have our favorites.

Hey, that's what make's a horse race isn't it?

I'm amazed that I've had my Bonnie for as long as i've had it. I can't think of a bike for me that is better suited. Of course I don't ride nearly as much as I used to so it makes sense to keep whatcha got, especially since it's been waaay to much fun to ride.

·
Registered
701 Posts
:rolleyes: Well, I'm just LOVING my HD more and more! I'm actually starting to be a little concerned about how MUCH I'm enjoying it! ;)

Yes, I still love my other bikes too for what they each do differently but in today's world I'm enjoying riding around more within the limits of the law. And as I've mentioned before, our local Harley shop continues to be ever more involved with our community and I'm glad to be a part of it and contribute.

Yes, I've long loved riding a triple and have to keep the Daytona around for whenever a pretty little lady might want to go for a slightly more "spirited" ride. The girl in this pic has exclaimed a few times how much she just LOVES the Daytona. :hearts Anything two wheels, Mark H.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Not only do we all have different experiences with our bikes we all have different expectations, I've come across people slagging off triumphs as crap for having a dipstick not a "modern sight glass"

Personally I prefer a clear stick than a foggy glass down low where its safer to have someone else hold the bike for me to look.

But everyone wants something different and one minds jewel is another mans junk (just as some of you interpreted that last sentence more dirtily than others)

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
I've owned several Harley's , including the 2000 SuperGlide I've owned since new. They've all been good bikes, for their intended purpose. the ones I've had have been stone reliable, even with less than stellar care. Great commuter, decent mileage. I've also owned quite a few Triumphs, predating the HDs by 30 years. Great all around motorcycles, but reliability was not their strong point even if well maintained. Just such a sweet ride. Comfortable, handles well, looks good , sounds good. Whether you want to ride fast or slow, it will do whatever you want and do it well. Triumph has attracted alot of new customers with their new bikes, but they need to take a page from HDs cook book. Make reliable bikes so you keep customers . A lot of performance bike riders jumped ship from Asian to Brit bikes, even Sportster and Buell riders came over. Good bikes , and good dealers, will keep them as Triumph enthusiasts. I haven't been in a Triumph dealer since 1995. Almost bought a 1200 as they had them in stock and I was waiting on a HD. I was a little concerned about whether they would survive. Triumph did, but the dealer didn't. I now have a Ducati and a Triumph with no dealer within 50 miles . Thanks to the Internet, it's not a deal breaker anymore. I sincerely hope Triumph stays healthy and improves reliability and their dealer network.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've owned examples of all the Japanese bikes,Triumph,BSA,Ducati and HD.

I sold two of them within a month of buying them because we simply didn't get on like I'd expected.

Neither of them were my two HD's.

I've spent the most time working on my Triumphs,but the ones I spent all the time an money on were late 60's to mid 70's but it was just a part of owning those types of bike.

I've never owned a bike I felt was crap but one Ducati and one Kawasaki came pretty close.;)

·
30,317 Posts
Not only do we all have different experiences with our bikes we all have different expectations, I've come across people slagging off triumphs as crap for having a dipstick not a "modern sight glass"
Funny - I saw on a thread on this site recently with Triumphs getting slagged off for having a sight glass, and not a dipstick. Really!

1 - 20 of 145 Posts