Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The day started at 8:30am. My very lightweight young lady friend showed up, ready to ride the short distance (60 miles) from Hudson Ohio to new Philadelphia Ohio, to Mathias BMW. Thank goodness she is a lightweight, since, at 5'8" I tip toe the ground when riding the old R100GS.

We made good time, taking the abysmal I-77 South. I truly hate Interstates near cities! Anyway, once there, the plan was for Jamie, ace BMW mechanic, to replace the steering head bearings ..... I don't have the tools to do that particular job, and he can do in 3 hours what I'd do in 10. It is a wonderful thing to have a specific mechanic you feel you can trust to do quality work .... he's been the best!

While the GS was in service, I took the opportunity to ride the middleweight parallel twin F800ST. Little Gal was on the back, and we rode perhaps 40 miles, had lunch, and returned to the dealer to find that the steering head bearing job was done, but Jamie had discovered a couple of critical wiring problems (corrosion of 18 year old connectors that disintegrated when he disconnected them). So we took the opportunity to ride the F800ST some more.

Long and short of this story ..... I traded my 2003 T100!

NOT!!!!

I must be getting way too old for newer bikes. The F800 did everything I wanted it to do, and more quickly than my T100 (the F really does hustle in a 3rd gear roll on). But after spending 75-80miles on the middleweight Beemer, I started thinking how much I truly enjoy riding the Bonnie, and decided at that time that the T100 is truly a keeper.

I've also decided the same thing about my 18 year old R100GS. Both bikes came from a time when men were men ,,,, and sheep were nervous!!!

I truly like heavy flywheel engines, and have decided I don't like having to really plan each shift on light flywheel, nervous engines.

There was never a plan to trade the Bonneville, or the R100GS. I am thinking about adding some sort of sport tourer. Next stop ... Moto Guzzi Norge. If that is disappointing, the next stop then will be Triumph Tiger or (what's the sport tourer with the triple??)

Bob

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I've ridden the Norge and tomorrow I test ride the Tiger. I really liked the Moto Guzzi but dealerships are few and far between. (Well, actually, for me it's the same difference as the dealership that sells Triumphs also sells Moto Guzzis.) I s'pose I'm saying for serviceability I'd much prefer a Trumpet. Though, I've promised myself a Goose before I croak. So little time, so many bikes, such limited funds...

·
Registered
495 Posts
There was never a plan to trade the Bonneville, or the R100GS. I am thinking about adding some sort of sport tourer. Next stop ... Moto Guzzi Norge. If that is disappointing, the next stop then will be Triumph Tiger or (what's the sport tourer with the triple??)

Bob
That would be the Sprint ST, currently in 1050 triple form. I have a 2001 and just love it...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I truly like heavy flywheel engines, and have decided I don't like having to really plan each shift on light flywheel, nervous engines.
I've heard complaints of throttle jerkiness on the F800. Supposed to be better after a software update.

The Guzzi's have been getting favorable reviews lately, and also sounds like they've sorted out the quality issues they had a couple years ago.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You know i've pretty much settled on 2 similar bikes and they satisfy most of my needs. The T100 is a great day ride bike and a pretty good tourer as well and my much modded R80st (1000cc seibenrock, twin sparked, silent hektik ign., twin discs, GS tank etc etc.) make it my perfect long haul tourer that can do dirt roads really well.

Up until last year I kept a BMW R1150 R as well - but found I hardley ever rode it with the other two there.

happy hunting - but I think the GS and the Bonny will take some beating both great bikes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts