Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my never ending quest to expand my Whitworth tool selection I remembered an uncle that I don’t often see who is not only is British, but also worked on British aircraft and bikes at different points in his life. He replied that he did in fact have quite a few Whitworth tools, but none that he is willing to part with at this point, so the quest continues. He did however send along this picture of his 1957 Bonneville Streamliner that was written up in a British magazine that I thought some of you might find interesting. That is my uncle in the uniform.

·
Registered
162 Posts
!

very cool rig.

i'm guessing this is a surplus military aircraft part modified to fit? details?

give your unk a thumbs up from us! what magazine is it, year month?

i have a huge collection of old aircraft and brit engineering mags.

·
Registered
970 Posts
If you are looking for 'whitworth' tools, Hitchcocks have a good selection. Although you will find very few nuts or bolts that are whitworth... BSF maybe...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Whitworth and BSF are the same distance between flats but BSF is one size up. ie 9/16BSF is the same spanner as 1/2Whit.

Best source of Whit/BSF tools I have found is King Dick, very expensive but very, very good - www.kingdicktools.co.uk. They will have everything you could want.

First Bonneville was Oct 58 (59 model)

Mag does look like Motorcycle Mechanics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1957 Triumph Streamliner

My bad on the thread title, when he sent the picture it was titled "My 1957 Triumph 650", I added the word "Bonny". Though in my defense, a 1957 would be very interesting :)

I fired him off an email explaining this forum and asked if he would provide some details about the project for me to post, he agreed to within the next few days. Trust me when I say, he is a very interesting design and engineer guy so when asked for details, I expect we will get details.

·
Registered
539 Posts
What a great picture to have, especially as your uncle is in it too. He sounds like a really interesting chap with his knowledge of both planes and bikes. I just wish you could build a streamliner these days for £12!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts