Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been drooling over the Sprints for quite a while. Today I called my insurance agent (Progressive) to check on the cost of insurance as opposed to my Bonneville.

They quoted an increase of $900 a year! That's 1400 a year for the Sprint plus 500 for the Bonnie!

My Bonneville is $500 which causes me to whine occasionally.

The wife will really be mad if it becomes necessary to cut out her beer! :-D

Dennis

[ This message was edited by: wonderdog on 2006-12-16 16:06 ]

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thats what i am paying. i do not think its too bad. if you think about it.. new bike over 1000cc with full coverage.. not bad at all..

try and get a quote for a XX then you will say wow.. (i was quoted for a 03 XX $1400+)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Progressive wants 618.00 a year for full coverage on a Sprint in South Carolina. they want 218.00 for just liability. hate payin that kind of money for a toy. Might just get the liability and hope I'm luck. Also I'm 58 and have a clean record.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also I'm 58 and have a clean record.
Yeah, well I'm 60 and have a clean record. Guess vehicle insurance in Florida is following right along with homeowners insurance.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
24,401 Posts
Dear dear my poor American brothers......... you are being seriously ripped by your insurance companies.

I pay a lot less than you guys including lots of extras and $3500 worth of gear cover.

Davem :cool:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Check the other insurance threads where we've discussed this. Just some minor shopping around can usually yield very positive results. Progressive had good rates to get me into their system, then increased dramatically the next year. They tried the same thing again the third year, so I checked with my home and auto insurer, and the rates were much better. The strange thing is that my 2000 Sprint ST was very cheap with my home insurer, but the TBS was higher.

Bottom line is to shop around.

[ This message was edited by: FALSTEN on 2006-12-16 16:38 ]

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hey there old farts, I'm gonna be 60 on Jan 8. Try out Daireyland also known as Sentry. My quotes were significantly less than Geico, Progressive and a couple of others. Also, when you do, look at what things cost the most. I'm going to take my chances with the "underinsured" coverage. Major drop. Still have the uninsured. Make sure you need the medical insurance and are not covered for that at work or another policy. If you have more than one bike, do you need comprehensive and collision on all of them? I'm getting full coverage on a new FJR and liability on my Sprint for about $560. If I would have had full coverage with everything it would have been closer to $1500 for both.

·
Registered
357 Posts
GOOGLE Dairyland Ins.../Sentry Ins. =-= $500.00 full with extras covered for 05 KLR and 06 STA...53 yrd old with a speed or two.

G

·
Definitely shop around. I had a 2003 Road King insured through Progressive with full coverage for $350 a year. When I swapped that bike out for the '07 Sprint, the rate was going to jump to $900! I called an agent that sells for multiple companies and they got me the exact same coverage for $360. Yes, I'm over 25 and have a clean record as well.

[ This message was edited by: rjmatt on 2006-12-16 18:26 ]

·
Premium Member
24,401 Posts
Just for an Australian comparison:

Shannons

Agreed value $15,500

Full comprehensive with all accessories noted and covered

for AUD $472.00 annual premium.

basic excess is $500.00

I am 47

Only use bike on weekends, holidays and trips.
This does not include medical insurance.

Davem :cool:

·
Registered
711 Posts
I know in NC there some kind of a requirement that Ins. Companies have to offer full range of policies, home owner, auto, mc, etc. Dairyland and some other specialized companies don't write policies here. Less competition = fist in the arse. You can save by shopping around, but neighboring states have much more competitive options. I'm old, clean record, no wrecks, homeowner, multi vehicle, yada yada. No difference for sport, touring or cruiser. CC's determine rate, big rip off.

BobW

·
Registered
354 Posts
Try NATIONAL GENERAL insurance through GMAC...you can find their ad in RIDER magazine......I pay about $425.00 a year FULL coverage.
I'm 45 and have a clean record though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I say AAA. Even as a new rider (at 35), I paid $420 for the 2000 ST. The 06 I have now is a little more as they band by engine size - but it is still in the $500 range for the most comprehensive coverage - and I find the service excellent.

Insurance in San Diego is also costly - partly due to cars etc finding their way across the Border, never to be seen or heard from again..........

·
Registered
128 Posts
i was quoted just about the same price
for my sprint vs Zx1400 ninja.

i asked my state farm man twice if he
knew what a zx1400 was, he said yes and
either bike was about the same $

This is the only joy i get from getting old.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
This is why I want a new Daytona to stay below 1000cc! All of the people whining we want an 1100,1150,1200 new Daytona are going to whine even more when they try to insurer their new toy. I'm almost embarrassed to admit what I pay here. Years ago I had full coverage on my bikes and for the most part to me it was just silly. They charged a $500 minimum deductible and after that you still paid 20% of all parts as well. It occurred to me that if I did $500 damage to a bike that cost me $2100.00 new and still had to cover 20% of the damaged parts I was probably in the hospital (or worse) and did I really care!
I carry the liability only with Foremost which is a subsidiary of Farmers or State Farm, I can't remember which. The first year was $176.00 for the year. On year 3 they dropped it to $75.00! Yes, for the year! Granted, If my bike got stolen I would be out of luck, but the value they would have covered anyway wouldn't pay for a new moped!

·
Registered
131 Posts
With Progressive I have full coverage on both bikes + $5k additional for accesories on the ST13, + $5K for gear to cover my camera equipment, I'm 39 w/ no points, no wrecks, $556/yr. :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wonderdog,
What do you do with all the price variances? First you cannot just rely on" mine is this price with this company or mine is that with that company" so on so forth. Bcause of the one HUGE variable that no one tells you is the amount of coverage they have for that price, or the amount of deductible for comp/collision. Like in my case my state has Underinsured and Unisured motorists (West Virginia) that is extra cost incuured over my neighboring states. The one thing that is consistant across the board is what ever insurance you use they DO like Triumph's over the Japs for the sole reason they are not on or near the top of the MOST STOLEN BIKES list. From your local Insurance Guy.
Happy Hunting and safe Riding

·
Registered
924 Posts
Totally agree with Dig50. When someone says "full coverage" that does not mean they have the same "full coverage" that I have. Even if you say "liability" it isn't the same depending on what the minimum state requirements are.

G

·
Insurance must just be cheaper here in Utah as I pay $198 per year for Liability and Collision, with Progressive. I imagine it's the smaller population than other states.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts