Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

Here is a question for the UK tiger owners that have an off road can fitted to their bikes (the one which has "not for road use" delicately stamped upon it)

Have you told your insurance? It seems that quite a few insurers are getting very fussy about insuring bikes which have "illegal" cans fitted. If you have told them and they are happy to take you on risk with the oh-so-naughty can fitted, which insurers are you with?

As an aside, why do you think that the majority of online insurers bother, when they state before taking you through the quote process, that the bike must be factory fresh with no modifications before they can give you a quote. Are they kidding??? How many bikes do you know that have no mods whatsoever?

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have always informed my insurance when I change the can. They have never loaded my premium for it.

Best to play it safe I think, you don't want them to refuse to pay out or try to reduce the amount when you need it most.

·
Registered
254 Posts
last year I raised this in a thread, and the issue simply is 'if' your bike is damaged in a prang and is inspected by an insurance assessor who notes an illegal pipe, certainly a 'get out of jail card' for the insurance company when it comes to payment time. pay your money, take your chance.

There are plenty of good after market cans that are road legal, Blueflame, Remus, wolf / trident and so on. Perhaps better made as well. Look in the exhaust albums section !
:-D

·
Registered
540 Posts
I had my Tiger with offroad can insured with Carole Nash (for which I paid an extra £30 premium).This year the same insurance company (Sun Life) will not insure with the loud can.Norwich Union would,but the premium is £100 more ! So I've took the can off because I also believe that the insurer would deem the bike uninsured.It's a tricky one but I've decided not to take the risk.It's a shame because the triple engine sounds great,and the can is not offensively loud at all. I'm missing it already.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I wonder if the insurance companies are getting pressure from the "authorities" because of the annoyance the loud cans cause. About time I say. :evil:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts