Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
gradually getting some mileage on my Street Triple and loving every minute of it. Whilst admiring the bike during a brief halt on my last trip I noticed that there is quite a large gap between the two halves of the instrument panel moulding. I was thinking that water getting in there is likely to cause havoc with the instruments and the gap certainly seems large enough for rain to get through, certainly if it is coming in at 60mph or so. I was wondering whether it is usual to be able to see daylight through the two halves of this moulding ?
If the mouldings are made to a reasonable degree of accuracy I would imagine it should be possible to get them to mate up perfectly but on my bike there is a distinct gap between the two halves which is an open invite for water to come on in !
Would be interested to hear whether this is usual or something I should get my dealer to look at next time I'm there. Cheers !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...well I'm not sure the gap is THAT big that it would still be visible in a photo. But to the naked eye it is. Basically where the two halves of the moulding are screwed together they don't mate up very well and there is a gap through which you can see daylight. It basically looks how it would look if I'd been given the job of screwing it together i.e. a bit of a lash up :p
I will see if I can make a decent photo of it and will post it if the gap is clearly visible. I can honestly say that I never had a bike where the instrument panel didn't look watertight but looking at this cluster on the Street I wouldn't want to go anywhere near it with a pressure washer or similar !
Will post a pic if it comes out ok.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New and improved thread !!! Now with photo !

So here is a picture of the gap with daylight shining through it :)
On closer inspection it seems as though the front half of the panel ( the part with the clocks and displays on it ) may actually be sealed at the back and that the rear half has its own rubber seal around it and seems to be the meeting point for all the incoming cables and wires. I can't actually see that the two halves are screwed together anywhere so maybe they are all like this and just more or less meet up. I suppose if each half is in itself sealed and the wires running in and out do so in sleeves, there is no reason to worry about the gap between the two halves.

So probably all Streets will look like this, I would imagine (?)
If somebody could take a look at theirs and confirm or negate this I would be grateful......

Attachments

·
Registered
904 Posts
On the instrument cluster, that back panel comes off with 1 screw to adapt the flyscreen to it. It looks to me like they did not quite get it put together right at the factory. It is simple to unscrew that back panel (but you have to pull like a mofo to get it to pop free) and re-position it with the gasket. Give that a try - you should not have a gap like that.

Neanderthal

·
Registered
366 Posts
I agree. I have Streety without fly screen and it does not have a gap like that. Should not see space between the two halves. I'd either try to pop it off and reseat it, or have a dealer look at it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK thanks. The first service is due soon so I think I'll let the dealer sort it out. If they can't get a better fit than that I may just tape over the gap with black insulating tape to keep things clean and dry.

·
Registered
904 Posts
There is nothing exposed in there that could get damaged by water, it's purely cosmetic. The wiring harness connects with a molex-type of plug. Looking at the whole panel assembly - it is an interesting idea in engineering (from an American viewpoint), definitely must be a British thing. :)

Neanderthal

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
There is nothing exposed in there that could get damaged by water, it's purely cosmetic. The wiring harness connects with a molex-type of plug. Looking at the whole panel assembly - it is an interesting idea in engineering (from an American viewpoint), definitely must be a British thing. :)

Neanderthal
That's what I had thought but not having had it removed yet I couldn't tell for sure. Most electronic instrument clusters are similar to this now days. Pretty water resistant on their own but need a cover just to prevent direct spray.

·
Registered
366 Posts
There is a gap present (halves don't meet up)...but not enough to see through. If you can see daylight between the halves...it's not set properly. I'd have it looked at.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK thanks for the comments. Nice to know I'm not the only one with a gap and that the halves never do actually mate up 100%
Obviously the gap on my bike is pretty large and it does look a bit shoddy so Triumph should expect me to complain about it. As a belt and braces job I may still whack some tape around it once the dealer has had a go at it - provided it doesn't look too bad that is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
right-

the back panel is just a press-on fit. so you can try to press a little further. also, there's a loose/sloppy hard-rubber gasket between the two plastic pieces that can kinda be adjusted to fill the gap....if it's fully seated on the backing plate, the gap is bigger but you can tease it up toward the instrument housing for a better fit.

also, i did run the instruments without the backing plate for a while 'cause i liked the smaller, less finished look but the gauges and lights would start acting a little funny in the rain...so i'm still looking for a better solution....

-timothy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmmm....nearly good

Thanks for that tip Tim ! I teased the rubber seal forwards and the gap at the top is now more or less closed. It certainly looks a lot better !

I still have quite a gap at the bottom edge of the cluster ( moving the seal forwards at the bottom results in it moving backwards at the top, opening the gap up again :( ) but it looks as though the headlights will catch most of the water heading that way before it gets there, so I can live with that.

Thanks for the advice, I am reasonably happy with the fit at the top edge ( the only truly visible part ) and I guess if the instruments do get wet in the rain and start playing up, Triumph will have to sort it on warranty anyway, so I won't trouble my dealer with it just now.

Just hope the snow melts soon and I can continue running-in !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts