Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The instrument panel fairing on my 99 Sprint ST has started to rattle about and when I hit a bump it looks like it's about to drop off. Unless I'm being incredibly dumb it looks like it is secured by two lugs to the side panel fairings and that's about it. Is there another fastener somewhere that I'm just not spotting, if not how do I make it more secure? Any help appreciated. :???:

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Do you mean the black panel itself, or the fairing around the nose?

Nose fairing is secured by the bolts holding the wing mirrors on (hidden under the rubber boots)

I'll have a look at the schematic for the nose to check on the instrument panel.

rexx

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rexx, it actually seems to be the whole lot, the upper side fairings and the nose fairing. It's quite difficult to move by hand but hitting even the slightest bumps sends the whole lot juddering up and down and it rattles like buggery. I will check out the brackets under the wing mirrors first.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
*****, as soon as you described it, I realised it matched a problem I had with mine after they changed the frame that carrys the nose fairing et al. (I hit diesel 2 weeks after buying and trashed all one side and bent the nose)

If you look at the part of the chassis frame between the upper and lower yokes, you will see a flange sticking out on the front of the fork pivot tube that carrys the cockpit frame (black painted steel barwork). The frame is mounted to the front of the fork pivot casting with two cheesehead hex bolts that you can access from the clutch side of the bike with a long alan key. I would bet some dosh that those two bolts are slightly loose!

Try this out to test the theory (the techie did it to my bike)...

stand in front of the bike facing the screen. Place your hands, palm up, under the nose of the bike, above the front mudguard, and see if you can gently lift the bike on your hands. If those bolts are even slightly loose, you will be able to move the nose of the bike up and down.

You will be surprised how tight those bolts might feel, and still let the nose nod up and down.

They tightened mine up, but they came loose after about 500 miles, so in the end I took one out, thread locked it and replaced it, and then did the same with the second.

If you are struggling to understand where I mean from the text, send me an email and I'll take a picture for you.

Good luck

Rexx

·
Registered
499 Posts
Curry,

More to what Rexx said, there's a heavy metal subframe projecting around and in front of the triple clamp. That subframe mounts and holds the front center fairing, the upper side fairings, the mirrors and the instrument panel. If its loose, then all those pieces will move around.

Bern

1 - 7 of 7 Posts