Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Hope you guys can help me.

On my '95 Thunderbird, the black plastic sheet that sits on top of the warning bulbs (shows neutral, oil, high beam, left/right signals etc) is a bit worn.

Do you guys know what the 'official' part name of this is called? Or alternatively, is it possible to make a replacement?

Many thanks,

Ian

·
Registered
589 Posts
I made a replacement out of 1/8" lexan, and colored the lens with appropriately colored markers. The stock lens film was just too dark to be able to see the lights at all, unless it was dark out. I also replaced the bulbs with LED's as my stock lens was deformed where it had started to melt from the heat.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Ian,
I just did the LED thing, and it will be fine for you. I tried the LED high beam as well, but then switched it back to the old bulb, as it was too bright and distracting at night. Also, I started with white LEDs, but then took Mick's excellent advice and got greens for the turn signals, which are much more visible in the daylight. Just be careful when inserting the LEDs, as they have polarity, and will only light when inserted the correct direction. The sockets are also very delicate, so use care and some long needle nosed pliers or hemostats to get the reach you'll need. You'll love this upgrade!

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
The sockets are also very delicate, so use care and some long needle nosed pliers or hemostats to get the reach you'll need. You'll love this upgrade!
Didnt you just pull the rubber bulb holders fromt he bottom of the white plastic mount? its easy to change the bulbs then - no pliers etc.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Didnt you just pull the rubber bulb holders fromt he bottom of the white plastic mount? its easy to change the bulbs then - no pliers etc.
That method is way too easy, and would greatly reduce the opportunity to screw things up. I don't recommend it:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi chaps

I've done the LED replacements and all is good!

Also I replaced the "lens" (the black plastic thing with the indicator signs) with a new one I ordered from Triumph and its much better than the original one that came with the bike. It lets more light through so things are a LOT clearer in daylight.

Thanks for all your help :)

Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts