Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this idea to remote the 3 buttons that are at the bottom of the cluster, maybe to the left side handlebar control switch area. To that end, what does the inside of the cluster look like and how does one get at it? I suspect it's all circuit boards, but maybe I'll get lucky and finds leads to the 3 buttons in question. With gloves on and definitely while riding the buttons are difficult to engage.

·
Registered
904 Posts
No offense - this is a bad idea. :D I agree the placement of those buttons is a bit cumbersome, but that instrument cluster is something like $800 or more - don't screw with it.

Neanderthal

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have to agree with Neanderthal. I'd suggest just picking your favorite setting and leaving it there until you stop. If you want more options/data to show at same time, perhaps look into an aftermarket speedo/data unit. There are LOTS of them out there (such as KOSO), and maybe it would be easier to find one that has a display you like better, than to hack up the stock one.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Probably wise advice. This is not the most rugged instrument cluster you're likely to find, so I'd be fearful of the outcome just ripping into it.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
My sense of adventure disappears when the sense that money is going to go flying out my wallet comes into play...I'm with everyone else, leave it be..haha

I do agree the ergonomics of the controls leaves a bit to be desired. It's almost as if they intentionally routed the clutch cable to block the 3 buttons. Maybe it's their subtle way of saying "don't mess with these while riding", who knows.

·
Registered
13 Posts
erm dont

ive been inside my cluster [mainly cos i dropped it and buggered the lcd screen ]and i can tell you theyre 2100 bucks new and take 6 weeks ......which brings me to a question ..not haveing that sort of dosh hanging around i bought an Acewell digatl set after some success in fitting the bike wont turnover [starter relay clicks but solenoid wont energise:confused:] i tapped into the insrument packs wiring loom for the feeds to the Acewell .so i thought that might be the problem ..reversed evrything i did and tried again ..still no luck ..it was fine saturday even with the knackered clocks ..waht do you reckon ..btw sorry for hi jacking you r thread ..but like i said ..dont lol:)

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
If it's really the starter relay clicking, but the starter doesn't engage, then it has nothing to do with the alien instruments. That'd strictly be in the starter circuit of the bike.

If the instruments aren't talking to the ECU via CANbus, then the bike can't be started anyway...but in that case, whatever's clicking probably wouldn't be the starter relay. If that really is the relay clicking, the trouble will be elsewhere in the starter motor circuit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
cheers mate i sorted it ..the headlight fuse was blown ..the bike wont start without it ...i just wish i could by pass the oem instruments

·
Registered
10 Posts
bypassing the stock cluster...

cheers mate i sorted it ..the headlight fuse was blown ..the bike wont start without it ...i just wish i could by pass the oem instruments
From another site, there was a post about using a 120 ohm resistor to bypass the need for having the stock cluster. I'll find the exact info and send via PM.

Good luck, I'm in a similar pickle.

Pasting from other forum...

Late 1050 Speedys (early 05-06 should run without gauges no problem) can supposedly be made to run without gauges if the can bus is terminated by installing a 120 Ohm resistor between the bus wires.

With my very limited German I think he is saying resistor goes between blue and red wire.

Try at your own risk as I have not verified this info and I might also have lost something in the translation. I also have no idea if the can bus wires have same colours on a 675.
I've actually tried this, but was unable to get this to work..then again even with a gauge cluster the bike wouldn't start...so I probably have additional issues.

Good luck, sorry for the "hijack".

M.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Get a good soldering iron and go for it

I can't believe that someone with a good temperature controlled soldering iron could not add some wires to the pads for the 3 buttons. A friend of mine has done it to his Tiger.

Better still, if you can record lap times from the start button, why not allow the button to scroll through the menus?
Someone needs to talk to Triumph and have their programmers reprogram as an option.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'd rather have had just a simple analog speedo, tacho, ODO and trip meter (all analog), ditch all the rest of the fancy gee-whiz stuff packed in there that seems to render the bike immobile if it breaks. There's no good reason to put a $900 instrument cluster on a $9,000 bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd rather have had just a simple analog speedo, tacho, ODO and trip meter (all analog), ditch all the rest of the fancy gee-whiz stuff packed in there that seems to render the bike immobile if it breaks. There's no good reason to put a $900 instrument cluster on a $9,000 bike.
I'm sure there is a nice profit margin built in for those new parts.

Anyway, I might be able to take apart my "spare" cluster just for grins and post some pictures for those who might have some interest in experimenting.

Heck, I've seen several used clusters on one of the more popular auction sites go for not too much $$. Just setup a search alert to keep you informed of any new listings.

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts