Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer wants $110 to install my Ventura rack (on order) for my Scrambler - it can't be that hard, can it? How long did it take you, and what tools did you need.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pete,

It takes all of 30mins with the right stuff, a 13mm socket with a ratchet.

You need to remove the top bolt on the rear shock to fit the bracket

It would take the Apprentice 20 mins to do in a workshop so if you think 20mins of an Apprentices time is worth $110 bucks??

If you were in Sydney I'd say pop over and we'll get it fitted over a beer.

Best of luck,
Davo

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Many thanks for that info -- you just saved me $110 -- I do feel a little disappointed that the Dealer tried to extract that much from me...

Davo, I knew there were benefits living in Sydney:D

·
Registered
425 Posts
Many thanks for that info -- you just saved me $110 -- I do feel a little disappointed that the Dealer tried to extract that much from me...

Davo, I knew there were benefits living in Sydney:D
My guess it's a min of 1 hour labour @ $100 per hour plus GST, looks like an easy job, I can change the mufflers in 10 minutes....the rack should be real easy.

Been thinking about a rack, what does it cost ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cost and quality - Ventura rack

Terry - high touring rack plus grab rail cost about $300 in total. The rack is outstanding quality - I'd recommend it.

BTW - I've heard you've had some hot weather over there, too. It's 36 degrees celcius here at the moment (11.30pm!)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Terry - high touring rack plus grab rail cost about $300 in total. The rack is outstanding quality - I'd recommend it.

BTW - I've heard you've had some hot weather over there, too. It's 36 degrees celcius here at the moment (11.30pm!)
$300 is not too bad, where from ?

Yes it's a bit warm here, think it was 37c @ 7.00am & made it to 45.6c today...that's in the shade near the city, it would be warmer in the some outer city areas.
Cool change to 44c tomorrow, might take the Scrambler out tomorrow night for a run.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought mine from Brighton Kawasaki in Melbourne - I think I got a small discount ($50 or so) for already owning the Ventura bag...

I am busting to ride the Scram but not in 40 degree plus heat - I was all ready to ride last night - put my protective clothing on, walked outside ... and then walked back inside in front of the air con!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Been thinking about a rack, what does it cost ?
Terry,

The Ventura is very well made. A quality kiwi product :thumbsup:
I got my setup with the sports rack, sport bag, Touring rack and the Aero Spada bag for $400 not fitted,

The trick is to get them to order the sport rack as a spare part not a new item. When bought as a new item Ventura make you pay for a second set of L brackets.

All the best,
Davo.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Terry,

The Ventura is very well made. A quality kiwi product :thumbsup:
I got my setup with the sports rack, sport bag, Touring rack and the Aero Spada bag for $400 not fitted,

The trick is to get them to order the sport rack as a spare part not a new item. When bought as a new item Ventura make you pay for a second set of L brackets.

All the best,
Davo.
Thanks for that looks like the go

·
Registered
229 Posts
TerryK, I bought mine from Peter Stevens in Adelaide, although I suspect any bike shop that handles Ventura products would order in what you want. Fitted to a Bonnie T100, btw. I ordered both racks, as I normally wouldn't leave the bigger touring rack on, and the large rectangular touring bag.
(When I bought my Tiger and fitted Ventura racks I got the larger Aerospada bag, which is like a big backpack, with straps if needed!).

The bad news - I had the L-brackets replaced (under warranty) because they didn't align very well and required considerable "springing" to slide the racks in. The replacements were no better, so rather than taking a refund I decided to "have at" the brackets with an assortment of tools and made them fit better. I e-mailed the manufacturer about this, but no reply!

The other problem is that I bought chrome plated ones (I ask you, what else would one fit on a Bonnie?). The chrome can only be described as crap, as after two years it is peeling in places and flaking off!!!

The Tiger rack is black, probably a better finish as it can be touched up/repainted fairly easily. For some reason, the rack seemed to be a better fit in the L-brackets than the one on the T100.

The bags appear well made, and I guess I must be happy with them overall or I wouldn't have got them on the Tiger as well :).

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Hi there
I have a Ventura rack on my Bonnie. It took about 30 mins to fit and works great. The fit of mine was perfect , but it isn't rockt science to tweak the fit a little. Mine has now been through two British winters and the chrome is looking a little sad now, nothing a rechrome wont fix. Best of all, the pack rack still fitted the Ventura pack i had from 10 years ago:D
Overall I would say Ventura is not as sophisticated as some of the European rack systems but there is little to go wrong, a top Kiwi product.

Phil(stuck in old blighty)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rack delivered and installed easily - looks great too

Thanks for everyones' advice - fitted the Ventura rack in 20 minutes. Quality is great, fit is perfect. Now I can be a good boy and take some goodies to my mum's place! :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
So you can get the smaller rack (sports) interchange with the grab rail & the larger rack as well...have I got it right ?

Don't need a rack all the time but the grab rail would be good, then perhaps the smaller rack & for interstate work the larger unit.

I guess the above could be expensive ??

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you're going to get the grabrail, which presumably you would have on most of the time (except when you need to carry stuff) then there's no point in getting the sports rack. I went the other way, and normally leave the sports rack on and only change it if I need to fit one of the bigger bags. I originally had a small bag strapped onto the small rack most of the time, but it fell apart (cheap no-brand crap!). Now I've got panniers on I don't actually need the rack most of the time.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you're going to get the grabrail, which presumably you would have on most of the time (except when you need to carry stuff) then there's no point in getting the sports rack. I went the other way, and normally leave the sports rack on and only change it if I need to fit one of the bigger bags. I originally had a small bag strapped onto the small rack most of the time, but it fell apart (cheap no-brand crap!). Now I've got panniers on I don't actually need the rack most of the time.
I worked out last night the best bet would be a touring kit & the grab rail....just as you are suggesting, thanks for that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts