Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I just finished doing springs/emulators on my Thruxton and started reassembling. While I was at it, I decided to install Tommaselli adjustable clip-ons into the stock position (below the stock yoke). Ironically, what I thought would've been an easy swap is turning into the toughest part of the job.

The width of the stock clip-ons is about 24mm, while the width of the Tommasellis is approximately 30mm (yes, I need to invest in a caliper). Essentially, this means for everything to go back together in a nice fashion and not all cockeyed, I need to do one of the following (in order of simplicity):

- Remove the black headlight tube grommets completely, find some 41mm O-rings or such to keep the headlight tubes from knocking around like crazy on the fork tubes.

- Cut down the headlight tubes by about 6mm, reinstall grommets, bolt it all back together - easy to do as I have a bandsaw, just reluctant to hack stuff at $50/each if something goes wrong and I have to replace 'em :)

- Put a 7/8" by 6mm spacer (Aheadset from a bicycle shop?) underneath the yoke to bring the back up even with the front. Cheap, easy, no cutting involved - will this put too much stress on the yoke since it's not flush on the steering locknut?

- Machine down the clip-ons and or inside of the yoke - no way...too much time and money to be worth it. :)

I guess I should've done some more reading, as most folks mounting these are putting them over the top yoke using F3 tubes.

Any quick feedback would be greatly appreciated - my baby is in pieces and nice weather is on it's way for the weekend!

Thanks guys...

Jason

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cowboy'd up and cut the headlight tubes with my POS Harbor Fruit bandsaw. Little work with the file and she was good to go!

For those that are looking to do this - mount Tommaselli adjustable clip-ons under the stock Thruxton yoke - you'll need to buzz 3/16" off the top of each headlight tube.

Now back to assembly...it's starting to look like a bike again. :D

Jason

1 - 3 of 3 Posts