Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When installing slip on exhaust to my bonnie do you guys think it need some kind of epoxy or liquid gasket to seal the pipe or do you just slip that bad boy on and tighten it up?

The instructions do not say to. What do you all say?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
What Triumph uses is a high temp silicone sealer at the muffler/header joint. The anti-sieze is a good on the header bolts where the headers bolt to the cylinder head.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
the factory uses some clear silicone RTV, I like to use the copper hi temp stuff...

·
Registered
471 Posts
What Triumph uses is a high temp silicone sealer at the muffler/header joint. The anti-sieze is a good on the header bolts where the headers bolt to the cylinder head.
Is it necessary? I am used to BMW which usually uses nothing except a header gasket. the pipe joints are slip fit and don't leak. I usually use antiseize on the pipe joints to make removal easier later. The clamps hold the joint sealed and secure.

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
716 Posts
nothing needed for a good fitting slip on

I have not used anything on a good fitting slipon...if it did leak it does not take long to refit and use high temp rvt...but I didn't use any thing on mine and it's fine, no leaks...

·
Registered
741 Posts
On the other hand, when I put my TORs on without sealant, it leaked very much. (There were large deposits of black soot on my header pipes where the muffler joint is.) Went back with some high temp gasket sealer and problem solved. Really, it's pretty cheap to get a small tube of the stuff and you'll most likely need it anyway.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I concur.
The Speedmaster/America TORs do not fit as well as some aftermaket pipes. I had to use RTV for which you may not always be successful stopping leaks.
My recently installed BC Bomber slip-on's slipped onto the headers better. The clamps were able to seal it well.
If they leak without sealant use it.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
It's not necassary at all unless the fit is not good as someone mentioned. I used it a few times, then stopped using it and even peeled away the rotting old silicone and there is no difference in loudness or tone or the way the bike runs. waste of time and messy if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Can I get away with nothing or do I really need something?
My experience;

Dealer installed my TOR's, used nothing; they leaked. I took them off, coated outside of header and inside of can with Permatex Red Hi-temp gasket sealer. Re-installed cans; no leak.

Same thing yesterday when they installed my new SLEEPERS. I did the above again today; no leaks.

I'm sold on the procedure.:)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Can I get away with nothing or do I really need something?
Well, the Triumph workshop manual states "Apply 4cc of clear silicone sealant to each header pipe at the joint with the silencer. Spread the sealer evenly all around the joint". I don't worry about whether I'm using 4cc of sealant or not, but I certainly use it. Triumph doesn't specify (and I don't use) "high temperature" silicone, but I'm not going to get in to that argument again... If you do a search you will find this topic has come up at least once before within the last year.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My bike sounds amazing!

I used nothing first. I figured if it leaked, I could go back and put on something. .....

No leak!

And my pipes from commando specialties sound amazing!!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Me neither.

[I don't use] "high temperature" silicone.
Me neither- the bathroom variety has worked fine for me thus far.

I also agree with the notion that if you put them on without any goop at all, and they seal up tight, then the job is done sans any sealer. Crisis averted!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts