Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Recently bought a Thruxton R and was given the uninstalled black springs to replace the standard yellow ones. A few questions:

1. Can I replace them one at a time by simply undoing the bottom bolt of the shock?
2. If I do then one at a time, will it work to have the bike held by a rear paddock stand?
3. Does anyone have the torque specs for retightening the shock bolts?

Sorry if these are ignorant questions…suspension is one thing that I have basically no experience with…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Hello all. Recently bought a Thruxton R and was given the uninstalled black springs to replace the standard yellow ones. A few questions:

1. Can I replace them one at a time by simply undoing the bottom bolt of the shock?
2. If I do then one at a time, will it work to have the bike held by a rear paddock stand?
3. Does anyone have the torque specs for retightening the shock bolts?

Sorry if these are ignorant questions…suspension is one thing that I have basically no experience with…

1) yes
2) yes
3) lower bolt 48nm, upper 28nm

You'll obviously need a way to compress the spring.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
What spring compressor did you use?
Thx

I'd also be interested to know if there's a cheap and simple way to remove the springs.
The paints damaged on the adjuster rings on my ohlins and they are showing signs of corrosion (obviously from before I bought it), I was going to clean them up and respray silver but will be much easier if I could remove them from the shock instead of masking everything in place. I will be taking the shocks off one at a time either way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What spring compressor did you use?
Thx

I actually went the very sketchy route of using a ratchet strap. Can't super recommend that, but it worked well for me.

After I had finished, I did Google "motorcycle spring compressor" and found a few options starting around $20. I have no idea of they're actually a better option though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts