Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just ordered a new set of ace bars and napoleon barend mirrors from NB...prior to ordering, my service guy said it should only take 30 min to install since all stock wiring can be used, so it would've only costed like 45 bucks to install which wouldve been all good...but now that the bars are in he's saying itll take longer than he planned and now were looking at tops 2 hours of labor which would be like 200 bucks...i'm not willing to pay this at all, so me and a friend have decided to take this undertaking on ourselves...we're both decent with mechanical know how, but i need to ask if anyone knows of perhaps a tutorial that's listed somewhere on teh forum on handlebar installs? i tried the search, but my firewall here in my school is somewhat stupid and i can't display all the hits...so if someone has a direct link, that would be great!!!

thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Insane!

That sounds like highway robbery to me! You can do the work in about 30 minutes yourself, for free. Everything is pretty much straight forward. Just like a bicycle handlebar when we were kids. You may need a cheater bar on the allen wrench when you take the controls off. I used the other end of an adjustable wrench. I used it again when tightening up everything. Really shouldn't be a problem for you to do. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
You need to check the torque settings for the control switches (15Nm Triumph manual). Using a "cheater bar" to tighten those is asking for trouble. Those controls are just light weight cast aluminium and only need to be snugged up.
As for swaping the bars it's a cake walk. Remove the grips, loosen (don't dissasemble!!) the left and right controls. Unbolt the bars (put a towel on your tank) then move the bars to the right and "slide" the left controls off, then do the same for the other side. Reverse procedure for the Ace Bars. I have the N/H Ace's with Nap mirrors. You may find you won't be able to adjust the mirrors out enough because of the backswept angle of the Ace bars.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
What Derby Boy said... but for the record, you only have to remove the left grip. The right grip is on the throttle tube, which slides off the handlebar as an assembly.

If you have trouble removing the left grip, peel the edge up a bit and shoot some WD40 underneath, then work the grip back and forth around the bar and you'll feel it quickly start to loosen up. When it's off, just wipe the WD40 off the inside of the grip with a towel.

--mark

·
Registered
73 Posts
+1

+1 on removing just the left grip. Hmm, I don't have a problem adjusting my Nap mirrors out far enough to see with the Ace bars. Yeah, you might want to be careful tightening the bolts up if you use a "cheater." Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts