Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It turned out to be more work than expected but once i figure it out it was very easy. The grips need to be from triumph otherwise you will need a heat gun to remove it from the throttle. First you have to buy a triwing screw driver bit number 3. Skin Hand Finger Material property Technology
after that you need to remove the two screws on the side. Vehicle Auto part Tire Automotive window part Car
i removed the zip tie thinking i was going to need to unplug the RBW throttle, you don't need to just remove the 2 triwing screws and everything will come off even the throttle. No need to use froce of any kind. This is what RBW throttle looks
like. Auto part Vehicle Disc brake Tire Automotive wheel system . Finally for the clutch side the grips have no glue they are in by pressure. Since it was so hard to take off i used wd 40 with the straw and spray the inside then it came off like butter. Great now i have a perfect set if i want to change back to black. When i installed the new one in the clutch i used a little bit of wd 40 at the beginning of the grip and it slided in with a lil force but it's well secure no need for glue. Just wipe off the wd 40 from the beginning so it's not too lubricated. well that's it. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car Auto part Vehicle Automotive mirror Finger Nail Hand Auto part Bicycle part
ohh last thing the bit is $6 expensive

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well done and thanks for the great write up. I have the same bike as you. I plan on doing the heated grips in the fall

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
One good product to use when putting grips back on a bike, a solution of dishwashing soap and water.

It dries up and actually helps the grips stay put.

WD-40 for removing is the ticket. Flat blade screw driver to pry open and that straw do the trick nice.

·
Registered
385 Posts
windex is also another option. I've used windex to remove and install new grips. slides in easy and dries quickly and becomes a bit tacky. helps the grips keep their grip! never needed to glue anything. works on all bikes and even your golf clubs! yes, i've done them too!

Reactions: Tornado99

·
Registered
398 Posts
heated grips

It turned out to be more work than expected but once i figure it out it was very easy. The grips need to be from triumph otherwise you will need a heat gun to remove it from the throttle. First you have to buy a triwing screw driver bit number 3. View attachment 349873
after that you need to remove the two screws on the side. View attachment 349881
i removed the zip tie thinking i was going to need to unplug the RBW throttle, you don't need to just remove the 2 triwing screws and everything will come off even the throttle. No need to use froce of any kind. This is what RBW throttle looks
like. View attachment 349889 . Finally for the clutch side the grips have no glue they are in by pressure. Since it was so hard to take off i used wd 40 with the straw and spray the inside then it came off like butter. Great now i have a perfect set if i want to change back to black. When i installed the new one in the clutch i used a little bit of wd 40 at the beginning of the grip and it slided in with a lil force but it's well secure no need for glue. Just wipe off the wd 40 from the beginning so it's not too lubricated. well that's it. View attachment 349897 View attachment 349905 View attachment 349913
ohh last thing the bit is $6 expensive

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Most help full THANKS

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice write up. :thumb

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
That Tri-tip screw head is WEIRD! Why do we need that? Does Triumph have some kind of investment in the Tri-tip driver company?

BTW, I thought this was on an AirCooled bike until I saw the RBW stuff....I had the double check...we are in the AirCooled Twin Talk forum after all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts