Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My K&N filter finally shipped after a 4 month back order.

Anything that I need to watch out for during the replacement? Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
no, not really, pretty straightforward. just remember which hoses go where on the bottom of the tank.

You do have to remove the rubber gasket from the outside plastic part of the old filter and put it on the new one, before you toss it out. mine didnt quite fit (it had about 1/2 of slack) so i cut a small portion out of it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Small vacume hase on left side of airbox seems to be forgotten by many a novice, so watch that and while you have it out pull the rubber snorkles off so it can breathe even better...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Moyster, It makes a difference for right off the line but just doing that wont give you a ton more ponies, I took a half inch drill bit and put about 50 holes in the front of mine. that makes a difference all over, and the sound is spectacular!!! No new map needed for this either it's not major enough that the computer can't adjust to it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I took a half inch drill bit and put about 50 holes in the front of mine.
Exactly what did you drill the holes in? The airbox cover I hope.

And what the hell is this about a 4 month backorder for an airfilter!!! Thats outrageous!!!! Any dealer should have them in stock. I would have told whoever you ordered it from to go to hell.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Exactly what did you drill the holes in? The airbox cover I hope.

And what the hell is this about a 4 month backorder for an airfilter!!! Thats outrageous!!!! Any dealer should have them in stock. I would have told whoever you ordered it from to go to hell.
I tried to get a K&N from several sources...none of them could get them for several months (including British Customs as well as my friend with a dealer license). I went with BMC and was impressed with the quality and performance.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I received a warped K&N, and had to rteplace it. The replacement was just barely straight enough to fit. Check yours. I think the BMC are made differently, so warpage isn't an issue.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no, not really, pretty straightforward. just remember which hoses go where on the bottom of the tank.

You do have to remove the rubber gasket from the outside plastic part of the old filter and put it on the new one, before you toss it out. mine didnt quite fit (it had about 1/2 of slack) so i cut a small portion out of it.
I finally got a chance to install the new filter and there wasn't a gasket around the original filter to transfer to the new filter.

Should I try to track one down? Or do you think it'll be ok?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I finally got a chance to install the new filter and there wasn't a gasket around the original filter to transfer to the new filter.
Are you sure? On the 2005 it is a ~2mm strip going round the filter. Sort of embedded deep in the sealing indentation. Similar to the one that goes around the airbox.

Have not taken a look at the 2009 filter yet, but I'd be surprised if Hinckley decided to remove this.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The instructions that came with the K&N filter said to swap it out, which gave me a heads up to look for it, but I couldn't find it.

I even tried cracking the plastic, thinking that the hard plastic would break leaving a soft rubber gasket behind intact. But there was no gasket to be found.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts