Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Upgraded horn by Installeing a Denali Soundbomb Mini (no relay, just a straight swap) this morning with a bit of improvement to the look/fit on my Thruxton. Sharing some pics & sound results. Although I have loud exhausts, those & my standard horn didn't seem to be enough to stop a driver ahead turning in on me last weekend after changing her mind at a junction, which prompted the upgrade!

Would have been 5 minutes as a straight swap, but as even the mini is a lot 'taller' than a regular horn, it looked rather unsightly, so I shaped and extended a simple mounting bracket which lets it sit further inside the frame for a much lower profile.

I'd already swapped the standard horn for a black replacement last year as a visual improvement, but if i recall correctly, it was the roughly same size/sound as stock, so hopefully comparisons are still useful! I'd also relocated the rectifier from new.

Finished result:

Bracket mod and horn size comparisons . Effectively I just bent the bracket I had with 2 x right angles to move it inwards towards the frame / oil cooler. The bracket that came with the denali was the same size, but silver and slightly thinner metal. I then extended it an inch or so to clear the relocated rectifier with a small plate I had knocking around (i think it was a spare from some ikea furniture years ago!).

Sound comparison video:

Before

After

Note on sound: I'm just using iPhone mic, which I think compresses the volume change, so serves well to illustrate tone difference - but I'd unscientifically estimate the volume being circa 3 times louder.

Overall, the Denali is a nice bit of kit - and I.M.O a lot less likely to be ignored or not heard. It's still slightly more noticeable visually, and added a little weight , but I'm happy with the compromise.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Upgraded horn by Installeing a Denali Soundbomb Mini (no relay, just a straight swap) this morning with a bit of improvement to the look/fit on my Thruxton. Sharing some pics & sound results. Although I have loud exhausts, those & my standard horn didn't seem to be enough to stop a driver ahead turning in on me last weekend after changing her mind at a junction, which prompted the upgrade!

Would have been 5 minutes as a straight swap, but as even the mini is a lot 'taller' than a regular horn, it looked rather unsightly, so I shaped and extended a simple mounting bracket which lets it sit further inside the frame for a much lower profile.

I'd already swapped the standard horn for a black replacement last year as a visual improvement, but if i recall correctly, it was the roughly same size/sound as stock, so hopefully comparisons are still useful! I'd also relocated the rectifier from new.

Finished result:

Bracket mod and horn size comparisons . Effectively I just bent the bracket I had with 2 x right angles to move it inwards towards the frame / oil cooler. The bracket that came with the denali was the same size, but silver and slightly thinner metal. I then extended it an inch or so to clear the relocated rectifier with a small plate I had knocking around (i think it was a spare from some ikea furniture years ago!).

Sound comparison video:

Before

After

Note on sound: I'm just using iPhone mic, which I think compresses the volume change, so serves well to illustrate tone difference - but I'd unscientifically estimate the volume being circa 3 times louder.

Overall, the Denali is a nice bit of kit - and I.M.O a lot less likely to be ignored or not heard. It's still slightly more noticeable visually, and added a little weight , but I'm happy with the compromise.

Nice bike, you definitely can tell a difference this is something i may consider down the road a bit. Was the mod expensive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice bike, you definitely can tell a difference this is something i may consider down the road a bit. Was the mod expensive?

Thanks. The Denali horn was $30 from twisted throttle. Was that what you meant?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great job! I'm looking to upgrade my horn too as I've recently had a similar experience with a driver attempting to move into my lane (and into me) despite me giving her two long honks (of my stock horn).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great job! I'm looking to upgrade my horn too as I've recently had a similar experience with a driver attempting to move into my lane (and into me) despite me giving her two long honks (of my stock horn).

I've definitely been happy with the volume of it since (and must admit to getting some good guilty reactions to it when I've pulled alongside van:truck drivers who are texting!)

One 'learn' since I posted this. I just reshaped the bracket a little to tuck the horn about half inch inwards and upwards. Reason being with the ridge on the centre of the stock Thruxton front fender I found the horn could actually 'just' touch the ridge on the fender when front forks were bottomed out.

It was a minor change, but definitely check clearance with front fork fully compressed.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Good post

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Looks good! I have the same horn and mounted it under the tank in place of the SAI system on my T100. Much louder than the stock horn.

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
Looks good! I have the same horn and mounted it under the tank in place of the SAI system on my T100. Much louder than the stock horn.
You were able to make it fit under there, obviously. Any secrets to share? I could barely fit the stock horn there, at least in the way that I was doing it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You were able to make it fit under there, obviously. Any secrets to share? I could barely fit the stock horn there, at least in the way that I was doing it.

I'd definitely like to know too, what a great idea.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
It fits. I unbolted the tank, slid it back a little and used a scrap piece of 2x4 to prop up the front of the tank. That gave me enough room to get in there and mount it.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
It fits. I unbolted the tank, slid it back a little and used a scrap piece of 2x4 to prop up the front of the tank. That gave me enough room to get in there and mount it.
Ah, your bike is a 2014. Different tank. Mine is a 2005. The stock horn fit there, just about, but a slightly larger upgrade would not fit, at least not without ripping the insulation off that side of the tank, which I didn't want to do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I also found the Triumph horn on my 2019 Street Scrambler a disappointment and sounded like a moped. Today put on the Denali Sound bomb. Even made me jump with the sound difference. Worth doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts