Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best, most correct tool to use for the removal of these filler and inspection plugs? What do you use that doesn't damage them?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Over here in the UK L P Williams (http://www.triumph-spares.co.uk/)sell an inspection cap tool that can be used with an AF spanner. Have used mine several times and they work a treat. Don't know if similar is available in the US but I would have thought someone else must do one.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I see tools for sale on ebay from time to time. I usually use the small(ish) square shaft Craftsman flat head screwdriver ... the size of the shaft is just right to fit into the slot on the covers ... I don't use the head ... but lay the shaft in the slot, press on the shaft to keep it in the slot and turn the whole screwdriver. It seems to work well ...

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Try you local hardware or automotive supply store to find one of the brackets used on exhaust systems to mount the rubber "hangers" on. They are usually rounded on one end and that's what I have always used to open the covers. You only need hand tightening on them so use it like a big screwdriver.

The "village idiot" likes simplicity: Jim

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The original tool kit came with a small device used to tighten the rocker adjusters. This was just wide enough to fit nicely in the inspection grooves. Personally, I take a flat head screw driver and lay it on its side and use it to torque the covers off.

·
Registered
372 Posts
For the money, the best tool to buy is a drag link socket - in my estimation. If you can, get a 3/8" drive otherwise use an 1/2" adapter. They look like an oversize screwdriver bit. You may need to file it a bit to fit depending on size. Besides, it is probably the only tool that will remove the plug from your sludge trap.

Alternately, a piece of 1/8" flat steel strapping about an inch wide and 8 inches long can be made to fit. I made one so that the other end fits the clutch spring nuts and has the centre cut out so that it can straddle the bolt as it comes up through the screw head. A hole at one end to hang it up or to lever with a screwdriver along with a coat of paint and now it's a poor man's tool. Filed smooth and the coat of paint prevents abrading the slot.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I realized that the slot in my plug is not flat; it is cut with a radius on the bottom. You knew that.

Because the drag link socket I bought is cut square, like a screwdriver, the tool bears on a very small surface of the plug slot.

I found a large flat washer thick enough to fill the slot with a radius that closely matches the one in the plug. It works great and won't damage the slots.

I love this forum. It's a great resource and reading over all the old posts really is motivating.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Wow, am I the only one with the original tool that comes in the tool kit? Basically it's the rear shock spring adjustment tool, made of flat plate, with an open C shaped end that has the right curvature to grip a big part of the slot in the inspection plug.

I can take a picture if you'd like to see.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Wow, am I the only one with the original tool that comes in the tool kit? Basically it's the rear shock spring adjustment tool, made of flat plate, with an open C shaped end that has the right curvature to grip a big part of the slot in the inspection plug.

I can take a picture if you'd like to see.
I guess you have not seen Ebay as of late, the last tool kit
from a 73 model went for around 180.00 dollars US.
That is just nuts. I would say almost all are lost in action.

Pookybear

1 - 13 of 13 Posts