Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a brand new member. Earlier this week, I took possession of a 1995 Thunderbird. It has 5000 miles on it and has been sitting for a long time- probably 5 years, more or less.
I tried to fire it up only to have gas pour from the bottom vent hose in the primary air box. No surprise there really- I'm figuring a stuck float or floats. Instead of trying the hammer to the carbs technique, I decided to pull them and have a look inside.
They seemed reasonably clean. Sure enough, one set of floats seemed to be hanging up (middle carb). I found schmutz on the little float needle thingie (I apologize for my non technical speak) and I'm gonna try to clean it up with a little scotchbrite. I pulled the main and pilot jets (I'm assuming the pilot jets are the recessed ones) and found one of the PJ's head is stripped- it will not come out.
Today I hope to reassemble the carbs and put everything back together. I have my fingers crossed....
McG

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I got my bike it had sat for two years. It ran but barely and was hard to start. Disassembled the carbs for cleaning, put back on and still ran like crap. Then I, following a suggestion on webbikeworld.com, injected SeaFoam into the bowls and let sit for an hour. I then started the bike, running on pure seafoam, and let it idle. I added the recommend amount of Seafoam to the tank, and the bike has run great ever since. The theory is that the seafoam dissolves little bits of gunk in the ports and other knooks that we can get at.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to try the Seafoam suggestion.
I put it all back together this afternoon and tried to fire it up. The engine turned and turned and turned put there was no sign from the motor that it wanted to start. Drops of gas could be noticed coming from the airbox vent hose along with some more drops seemingly coming fro the seams in the airbox itself. Do these carbs have accelerator pumps on them? Maybe I was just twisting the throttle too much when I was trying to start it??
I guess checking for spark is my next step?? Maybe wait til all the gas on the garage floor evaporates....

·
Registered
50 Posts
The starting drill on my 95 (as recomended by dealer) when cold:
Full choke
No throttle!
Otherwise you will flood it!
Also after a carb rebuild and before trying to start, loosen the purge screws at the bottom of each carb bowl until gas drips, then tighten.
Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts