Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I have a 2003 995i ST with a hard start looking for some information anyone know or can verify if you are supposed to have injectors pules with key on and kill switch on while the fuel pump primes and stepper motor Cycles.. I'm lost at this point troubleshooting a hard start. Thanks in advance from Abilene Tx

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Make sure you have a good battery and good fuel. The ECM starts to act up when the voltage drops below roughly 10.5V. Although the starter spins, the battery may not be holding up while cranking.

The bikes don't like low octane fuel, either.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check the plugs. And the IACV hoses, while not a suspect in your hard start issue, are commonly rotted away by now. A vacuum leak will cause weird issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No.
You'll get pulses when you crank to start up and when the engine in running.
Thank you , I used LEDs to check pulse and verify voltage all seem fine but seen strange not to have a pulse on first key on, did all the pin out test and all seem fine, and with some starter fluid would fire up and stay running from there on till the next day where she would hard start again.. replacing plugs and draining fuel now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure you have a good battery and good fuel. The ECM starts to act up when the voltage drops below roughly 10.5V. Although the starter spins, the battery may not be holding up while cranking.

The bikes don't like low octane fuel, either.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check the plugs. And the IACV hoses, while not a suspect in your hard start issue, are commonly rotted away by now. A vacuum leak will cause weird issues.
Thanks for reply. Yup notice she likes topped up battery been adding jump box and keeping a tinder over night to do troubleshooting, plugs been changes , also drain and am cleaning tank out for good mesure, clean and re sealed injectors and found those IACV hoses cracked so I replaced the connectors. Will keep yall posted once back together and see if that fixed it. Was glad to hear that the injectors dont pulse at first key on, was thinking I might have bigger problems like Ecu.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The rest would affect the idle. Respecting valve check interval is vital to the engine.
If some valve don't close properly the compression drops and rend the starting difficult.

Is you cranking speed OK or slow? Can you post a video?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rest would affect the idle. Respecting valve check interval is vital to the engine.
If some valve don't close properly the compression drops and rend the starting difficult.

Is you cranking speed OK or slow? Can you post a video?
Cranking Speed seem fast enough, will put together a video and post when I get back to the shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts