Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other day the sun finally came out long enough for me to take the bike to work. Unfortunately I have an issue with power loss. As long as I am accelerating things are good. however, if I am just cruising along at a steady speed (no matter what RPM) I have a problem. It seems like it is missing or popping. I can feel it too, as if something is tugging on the back of the bike once is a while.

I checked things out on my tuneboy software and it looks like the pressure in the injectors is not equal. One always seems to be a little off compared to the other two. It isn't any one injector though. It seems to switch from one to the other.

I did put in some injector cleaner a while back, but it has been running fine for weeks after doing that.

Any thoughts?

2001 Sprint ST
Staintune Pipe
Triumph off road tune

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Any faults showing up? Fuel pressure regulator making normal sounds? Battery up to snuff? Fuel filter?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Sounds to me like Throttle positions sensor or potentially, although a bit of a long shot, a crank sensor.

I would start at the tps and check your voltage at it. Actually what does the tuneboy say the voltage is at the TPS?

The other thing is check your throttle body balance. You can check that too on the Tuneboy.

Both easy to do but sounds to me like the TPS is out of adjustment or going on you.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I just noticed you are in Gresham. If you run out of ideas or don't get the issue resolved, I would suggest calling this number.

1-541-343-8949.

This will get you Cycle Parts in Eugene. Either Aryon the counter/parts guy or Rod the owner should answer. Might be Maryanne too Rod's daughter. Anyhow if it's Rod ID yourself and tell him Don Olson said to call. He'll either help or send you to Clint the shop foreman. Though a smaller dealer they are the most knowledgeable people I'm aware of. Period and this is visiting others around the country. Don't be concerned to call if you need as not only do they know their business they also operate with (gasp) honesty and integrity.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any faults showing up? Fuel pressure regulator making normal sounds? Battery up to snuff? Fuel filter?
No faults showing up on the tuneboy.

I would start at the tps and check your voltage at it. Actually what does the tuneboy say the voltage is at the TPS?

The other thing is check your throttle body balance. You can check that too on the Tuneboy.
How do I check the throttle bodies with the tuneboy? Just by the numbers? I'd like to have a go at that tomorrow after changing the fuel filter if it means I don't have to order a mercury tester thingy. What sort of voltage should I be getting at the TPS? The Tuneboy shows no issues with TPS.

I would suggest calling 1-541-343-8949 Cycle Parts in Eugene.
Thanks again dolson. I was on the phone with Cascade moto in Beaverton and they gave me some ideas too. Eugene is a bit out of the way for me, but having a heads up on a good dealership is always a good tip. That way I don't have to go to Portland motorcycle any more :)

Thanks for your ideas guys. I will start with the fuel filter and go from there. It started raining again today so I don't feel so bad about not having the bike ready to go at the moment.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i got it all apart and changed the fuel filter, but when I put it all back together again and connected the fuel lines, the red on started spraying fuel out. It's like the connection is bad, but I know it is tight and the connector on the tank is practically new (that was an issue I had last summer). Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Two things:

Nicked o-ring. Look at PDs parts post for replacement info.

Busted female QD fitting. They crack at the neck.

See my 'fuel fitting' post for info.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two things:

Nicked o-ring. Look at PDs parts post for replacement info.

Busted female QD fitting. They crack at the neck.

See my 'fuel fitting' post for info.
Thanks PushRod.

The O-ring looks pristine. I double checked it...even looked at it with a magnifying glass to be sure. It looks like the fuel is squirting out between the male and female fitting, not from the neck of the female fitting. I did have to replace this same female fitting last year when it broke at the neck and left me stranded on my way home from work. Planning to get the metal fittings from team triumph at some point, but for now I am not sure this is the issue. Especially since everything was tight before I tore it all apart.

I am tearing it all down again as soon as I get a chance to see if I put the filter in the wrong way round and the pressure is building up too high. I am almost certain that I put it in with the arrow going the right way, but I have been second guessing my handy work all day long. Wondering if this might be the culprit and if these symptoms fit.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Did you make sure the fuel fitting was pushed all the way home and the catch fully engaged both sides of the groove in the male fitting? The fitting will generally hold if not but it will be slightly skewed allowing fuel to escape past a perfectly good "o" ring.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I don't think there is a check valve in the filter, so it will not impede flow if installed backwards.

The filter may not 'filter' as well, as I am guessing if the flow was backwards, it would tend to channelize.

Or, it may make no difference. Heck, maybe the guys in Oz are required to install theirs with the arrow pointing the other way.

I found my leak by propping the tank up on the bike a piece of wood, and turning the key to the 'run' position while I watched the fuel pump assembly. I wouldn't use a lighter to illuminate the scene, though.

I had a big wad of paper towels under the whole works, to catch the leaking fuel.

When inspecting o-rings, the culprit is very often a 'pinch' cut, which runs along the edge of the ring. They are very difficult to see. They are caused when a section of the ring is caught between mating surfaces, and then either pinched or cut off. That was the kind of damage I found on my FPR o-ring, which was factory installed.

The FF o-rings are not as likely to get those cuts as they are the ones from the retaining collar. Those, I would think, are very obvious.

HTH!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you make sure the fuel fitting was pushed all the way home and the catch fully engaged both sides of the groove in the male fitting? The fitting will generally hold if not but it will be slightly skewed allowing fuel to escape past a perfectly good "o" ring.
Oh yeah...that thing has been pushed in good 'n' tight...that's what she said :)

I tried pushing it in further and giving the once over to make sure it was snug all the way round and it is still coming leaking.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE:

The o-ring was shot. I took it off to get a better look at it and it wasn't round. It was slightly worn on one side. I replaced it and all is good with the fuel leak. Unfortunately the original problem still exists and the bike is still not running right. I am getting an error codes that say

0230 fuel pump relay fault.
1231 fuel pump relay open circuit.

Could the fuel pump relay be causing this issue, or is this just something to do with me trying to start the bike before the pump primed all the way?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Those faults might not have anything to do with your original problem.

They indicate that your pump relay is seeing an incorrect voltage and/or an open or short. You might want to verify that your pump electrical connector is installed correctly before getting into some serious troubleshooting.

How are you reading injector pressures with a TuneBoy?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I was wondering if they may have come up when I had the tank off for the fuel filter replacement. Especially since I never got the check engine light before hand when the original issue started.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Did you perchance turn the bike 'on' at any time with the fuel pump disconnected?

If so, the ECM may have stored a code.

Another possibility is you have a 'pushed in', loose, bent or broken pin in the fuel pump connector. I don't recall how many connections are in the plug, but you might want to check it.

However, if the pump comes on and then cycles off when you first turn on the bike, I'd say it is working properly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The fuel pump is working fine. It passes the test that I do with my tune edit software every time. I can here it priming etc too. I just wasn't sure if the relay might be doing something to make the bike feel like it is hesitating.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Trotsky, I just got my beast running properly again after hair raising fault finding expedition (without Tuneboy). Turned out the real problem was a stuffed throttle body gasket which was throwing everything else out.

For some reason (I don't know if it was the cleaner I sprayed down my throttles or the injector additive I put in the tank) the gasket was partly broken down when I finally lifted the throttles. I could even see soot tracks in a number of places and the gasket had clear signs of degradation.

I had similar symptoms to the ones you had - i.e good power at higher revs under load but absolute rubbish at lower speed cruising. In fact I nearly went down in the wet giving it too much gas to compensate on take off. My throttle bodies also would not balance without throwing the running of the bike way out. Once I changed the gasket it was amazing how easy and steady the balance was to attain. (Using a Carbtune Pro).

I tested the throttle bodies by spraying Aerostart around the gasket area with the engine running (engine revs up if there is a vacuum leak) and noticed a faint change. Its an easy check but not always clear.

The best thing though was the gasket cost me AU$3.50 from the dealer. It's actually really easy to pull the throttles to change the gasket so if you haven't got things sorted yet this might be a good next move.

Good luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am trying to get a gasket as mentioned by ExKellick since they are less than $5, but the closest dealer doesn't have one in stock. I went to a different dealer today while out and about at work, but of course they are closed on Mondays. Will try again if I get posted out that way some time this week.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts