Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I keep my 00 Triumph RS, what initial setting should I have? I am 6-2 and 260ish. I have no clue what the suspension is set to. I saw a few vids on setting sag etc, but I would like to have a proper point to work towards. Maybe start from all the way out?

Keep you tips geared toward a newbie, as this will be my first time setting a suspension up.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
UF do you have a manual?

If you do it will have the factory settings listed which are a middle of the road setting and a place to start.

I'm sorry I do not have my ST manual as I let it go with the bike.

DaveM

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
The trouble is, your initial sag setting is the basis to work from. In other words, the starting place. Without knowing the initial sag setting you don't know what direction to go in other than trial and error, mostly error.

The initial sag will tell you many things such as, is your spring rates correct for you. My guess right off the top of my head would be that to properly tune your suspension for you, you will need to get new springs at an increased rate to handle your weight. Setting a specific sag, you can then tell this by the amount of spring pre-load it takes. If you are running out of adjustment one way or the other, a spring change is adviseable.

You want a quick and dirty setting, sorry, there isn't one as all bikes and riders are different. I could tell you mine but it wouldn't do you any good.

Best advice, there are many articles that address setting suspension sag. Doing a search here will bring up a lot of information. Read them, get a couple of friends and give it a try.
That's as newbieish as I can get.

If I keep my 00 Triumph RS, what initial setting should I have? I am 6-2 and 260ish. I have no clue what the suspension is set to. I saw a few vids on setting sag etc, but I would like to have a proper point to work towards. Maybe start from all the way out?

Keep you tips geared toward a newbie, as this will be my first time setting a suspension up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
There is still a stock setting though. My manual says 10mm above the clamp for the fork preload, 25 clicks out for rear preload, and 1.5 clicks out for rebound. The rear suspension you screw it all the way in then count the clicks as you unscrew. Mine's a 2009 though so its probably different than yours. Triumph's site has pdf's of the owners manual, I got a copy of mine off there.

* Found a copy: http://www.scribd.com/doc/14166661/Triumph-Sprint-ST-RS-Owner-Handbook

Scroll down to page 38 for the full guide.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts