Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question - for the first few minutes or so after I have just started my bike, switching from 1st to 2nd gear feels sluggish, but as the bike warms up it soon becomes smooth and much easier. Anyone else experience this or is this normal?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Pretty normal, things are cold/not completely lubricated yet. Keeping that in mind, now you know not to jump on it and thrash it until it's warmed up. :)

Neanderthal

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Neanderthal, that's what I figured. It's a good way for me to start of slow before I gun it! :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Even when my bike is warmed up the 1st to 2nd is kind of clunky.
It's okay though, the bike will be going to the dealership this weekend for other issue's too... :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear that. Once you get it straightened out you will be amazed by the change. Once my bike is warm shifting gears is silky smooth.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Agree

All my 1st to 2nds seem a lil rough to me. I am still getting used to the bike, and sometimes it doesn't seem to even get past neutral. I figured it was an I D 10 T error and would come with more riding. I usually let mine warm up a bit before riding as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got 20,000 miles on my '08 and the 1-2 shift has always been clunky. Also the 5-6 gets clunky when it's hot and I've been hammering it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I seem to have developed either an exhaust leak or i've got a lifter tapping. He said he would be glad to look the entire bike, including the trans while I'm there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
"I've got 20,000 miles on my '08 and the 1-2 shift has always been clunky. Also the 5-6 gets clunky when it's hot and I've been hammering it."

I'm a bit gentler kinder to my bike, as she's still a baby 475 miles. and only owned it a month. I usually shift 1-2 and then depending on what's going on jump to 4th and then 6th? What about you all?
I tend to do mostly commuting and in town riding.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AaronP220R,
If you think about it, ask the tech what he/she thinks about the instrument cluster movement after fitting the flyscreen, and about the rubber washer idea I have installed right now.

http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/103124-loose-tacho-lcd-is-it-common-2.html

Neanderthal
I removed my initial bread ties after getting paranoid about reading about possible damage to the cluster because of the lack of free play, and to be honest my cluster is just as stationary as before. Since I can't tell the difference, I am leaving as is for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts