Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one give me the benefit of their experience regarding the following:

I intend to fit TORs (or maybe Staintunes) to my 865 T100 (05). Apart from removing the AI I won't be doing any other mods further upstream. Reading the Jenks site they recommend 115 mains and one shim.

If anyone has complied with the above recommendations, can they give me some feedback on the result. I want to keep the bike civilised and am not a big fan of back-fire. Just want some more character and a few extra ponies.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Based on your stated preference for a civilized bike, I highly recommend the TOR's.

With TOR's and 115 jets and the AI removal, with no other mods, my 790 Bonneville runs much better. The bike now has a respectable brit-bike sound. More of a low-frequency rumble that is restrained until you crack open the throttle. Then you get that nice bark that lets people know you are there. It's a soulful sound that doesn't get obnoxious. There also seems to be just a bit more power on tap, and I find it much smoother from a standing start. No popping or backfiring in my experience.

It sounds like you might do this and be very content without going to the next level of tinkering, which involves the air intake. I'm not going that far with mine, simply because I love the way it runs, and I'm sure it's plenty fast for my requirements.

Good luck!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't know if you'll want to do this, as it's irreversible, but Jenks also recommends boring out the 2.5mm vacuum hole in each carb slide to 3mm. A bit more of a hands-on fiddly task, as you have to remove the diaphragms, springs, and slides but owners who've done it report better throttle response. I don't think this was done on mine when I had the dealer fit the togas and the Jenks re-jet kit (120 mains) during the free first sevice, but if not then I'll probably do it myself next spring when I fit a unifoam filter and go up a few more jet sizes.

It's a slippery slope, all this tinkering :-D

EDIT: having rode a T100 with TORs a couple of times, I agree with bonnigreen that they fit your description of what you want. I loved the sound of the TORs when you opened up the bike, but they're still pretty quiet at low revs so I decided for my own reasons that I wanted more noise (as a possible safety benefit when going slow in town, though mostly because the hooligan in me wanted loud pipes for the first time in my life :wink: ).

[ This message was edited by: steviek on 2006-12-12 16:26 ]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah well, I think I will draw a line before I start drilling holes in delicate pieces of carb. Don't suppose I'll turn into a chronic meddle-aholic but who knows?

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Bonnie Green has it. That was the same jetting that was in my 790 with TOR's, before I went to big bore and air box removal. The tech at the shop also drilled the slides VERY slightly and shimed the needle.

·
Registered
519 Posts
To answer your question we need to know if you did anything to the air intake...ie. snorkle removal or hi-flow air filter (K&N,Unifilter)....If you did or are planning to...try a 118 jet and forget the shim...you already have a thruxton needle and these usually don't need shimmed unlike the 790 engines. If you have stock air intake and the only change is AI removal and TOR's...then a 115 jet should work fine. The air intake mod is easy and works great and also plan on adjusting the pilot screw and a carb synch at the end...These are all easy and your bike will run great!!

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I put the TORs on both my Scrambler (which was rejetted with the supplied larger jets), and my Bonneville T100 (which I did not re-jet). Since both bikes I own have the 865cc motor, I believe the advice I received after a lot of searching with Triumph mechanics, and that is, the 790cc motors should be re-jetted, while the 865cc motors do not have to be re-jetted.

I had the AI removed on both bikes, and have not modified the air box in any way.

My re-jetted Scrambler gets slightly worse fuel mileage, which I attribute to the re-jetting. But, it also has the 270 degree engine firing order, as opposed to the T100's standard 180 degree (or 360 degree, if you prefer) firing order. Maybe that is the reason.

My T100 has a slightly faster top end speed, but my Scrambler feels faster from a standstill and as I go through the first 3 gear shifts, with more of a sensation of higher torque. Perhaps its the Scrambler's re-jetting that makes that difference? Or the engine firing order? I don't know.

I love the sound and better performance of the factory TOR's by the way, especially considering their cost compared to other brands.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
TOR's come with 115's. On the 865, you don't have to re-jet. Your 110's are fine. The 115's with the Bonnie TOR's were originally meant for the 790's which come with needles that run leaner.

Thruxton TOR's do not come with new jets.

If you pull the snorky, add a bellmouth and had a high flow air filter (which you will do), then yes, go with the 115's or 118's.

I have 118's right now (down from 120's) and I have TOR's, UNI filter, no restrictor plate, and a Polaris bellmouth.....along with some NGK Iridiums, Nology coils, and a Pingel hi-flow petcock.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know it has been a long time since any of you commented on this thread, but hopefully someone can just help verify this. I have an 01 Bonnie with TOR's, 42 pilots, mixture screw @ 2 turns out, no airbox mods, AI removed. Was running 118's and stock needles. I have now put in a dynojet kit - http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/5117.pdf - which comes with richer DNO369 needles and want to know what you recommend for the mains: Dynojet 110's (as they recommend), 114's or the Dynojet 118's that were in there when I bought the bike. Also, what do you think I should set the mixture screw to? I'll be balancing the carbs after. Anything else I should keep in mind?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts