Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok just finished fitting new LED indicators to my thruxton and since i could not find a flasher unit to run them in my town. i have installed a 27 ohm resistor (resistor colours are red, purple and black) on each indicator and all works fine even the instrument cluster one. While testing it i found the resistors were getting a bit warm so just going to get a higher wattage ones(at the moment i have 1 watt) and place them in more permently with good covering.

To wire them in it is not that hard all you do is put one leg of the resistor to the positive wire on the indicator and the other leg to the negative wire of the indicator and all is good to go after insulating everything so no shorting out. I hope this helps a few people out not confuse anyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone know where the flasher unit is on a 2013 America, planning on upgrading to LED indicators just getting all the required parts prior to installing.
Thanks
Marty

·
Registered
1200XE and Thunderbird Storm
345 Posts
To the OP: I did the same to an older bike but fitted two 10ohm 10watt wire-wound metal power resistors in parallel across each feed. "normal" resisters simply became too hot and risked a fire!

Does anyone know where the flasher unit is on a 2013 America, planning on upgrading to LED indicators just getting all the required parts prior to installing.
Thanks
Marty
I thought these older bikes had traditional relay based flasher units - can you hear it ticking and locate it like that?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Lot's discussed on the LED flasher upgrade on this forum, including reference to the commonly available flasher so solve the high blinking rate once LED bulbs installed. Will check my bike next time I venture outside. Sub-zero temperatures here right now!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Here is a source to help select LEDs to outfit the entire bike with LED upgrade bulbs and including the needed relays, etc. Just plug in your bike and check out the results, including indicator bulbs. You will be surprised that the cost are reasonable (no affiliation). Purchased my indicator LEDS and relay a couple of years ago and still no failures so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts