Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Bonneville T100 2006.
I have a bad habit of leaving my indicator on after a turn so I decided to fit a bright micro LED up in between my clocks facing forward and up slightly to reflect onto my Triumph screen.
I tapped into the two feed wires of the green dash light and it works perfectly, the concave screen glows on each flash making it impossible for me to leave the indicator on......BUT the LED only flashes on left turns, indicate right and the LED doesn't flash even though the green dash light I took the feed from does in both directions.
The LED is polarity sensitive so the only thing I can think is the polarity is changing over when turning right.
Any boffins out there think of a way of correcting it without fitting a second micro LED with reversed polarity?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Firstly, remove the incandescent bulb to prevent any interference. Then you will need to wire in two steering diodes (1N4001 - 1N4007) as follows:

Connect the cathodes (the ends with the silver band) of the diodes together, so that they form a 'Y' formation. Then connect these to the power side of your LED.

Connect the annode of one diode to the Green/Red wire of the idiot bulb holder.

Connect the annode of the other diode to the Green/White wire of the idiot bulb holder.

Connect the negative side of your LED to ground.

There is a graphic somewhere on here, search for 'diode mod'. I don't have it to hand at the moment but if you have any difficulty shoot me a PM.

Reactions: turbo

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Firstly, remove the incandescent bulb to prevent any interference. Then you will need to wire in two steering diodes (1N4001 - 1N4007) as follows:

Connect the cathodes (the ends with the silver band) of the diodes together, so that they form a 'Y' formation. Then connect these to the power side of your LED.

Connect the annode of the other diode to the Green/White wire of the idiot bulb holder.

There is a graphic somewhere on here, search for 'diode mod'. I don't have it to hand at the moment but if you have any difficulty shoot me a PM.
Thanks for the info Ripper, I will get 2 diodes tomorrow.

You seem quite genned up on this sort of thing, don't suppose if you know or could give me some idea of the easiest way to wire up the flashers to flash 4 ways? FOUND WHAT I WANTED FROM ANOTHER POST, THANKS.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
You seem quite genned up on this sort of thing, don't suppose if you know or could give me some idea of the easiest way to wire up the flashers to flash 4 ways? FOUND WHAT I WANTED FROM ANOTHER POST, THANKS.
There is the thread I wrote a couple of years ago on hazard flashers if that is any use to you - it looks complex but it only uses one 4 pole relay, available from Maplin. There is another version in the thread using 4 individual relays for those who cannot get the 4 pole one. I still have this system on my bike and its always worked perfectly:

http://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/389722-hazard-signals.html

The reason that it uses a 4 pole relay is to make the hazards behave BMW style - as follows:

Hazards start up only with ignition on.
Once started the ignition can be switched off and the key removed.
They will keep working until the hazard switch is turned off.
Ignition needs to be on to restart them.

Another reason was to remove two steering diodes from my first version. They were large P600 diodes and were getting a little warm (I had 4x21w halogen bulbs).

Reactions: turbo

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hi Ripper.
Got the two diodes today and made up the "Y" formation.

Can you clarify a point for me please?
Where you have put two diodes ( 1N4001 - 1N4007 ) is is one of each or a pair of either one? I have made the Y with one of each. Just thought I had better check before wiring them in tomorrow.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Just replace the incandescent lights in the idiot lights with LEDs from www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle. There are post here you can search to find the exact part #. Do not replace the high beam light, though - if you do, it will be too bright. The turn signal indicator will be plenty bright, day or night.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just replace the incandescent lights in the idiot lights with LEDs from www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle. There are post here you can search to find the exact part #. Do not replace the high beam light, though - if you do, it will be too bright. The turn signal indicator will be plenty bright, day or night.
Hi Billstokes. Thanks for your reply but I'm not changing the 4 bulbs to LED but adding a single super bright idiot bulb, plus I'm in the UK and need to do it before next week for the Isle Of Man TT

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Hi Ripper.
Got the two diodes today and made up the "Y" formation.

Can you clarify a point for me please?
Where you have put two diodes ( 1N4001 - 1N4007 ) is is one of each or a pair of either one? I have made the Y with one of each. Just thought I had better check before wiring them in tomorrow.
Sorry, I should have been a little clearer, I meant that you can use any of the 1N4xxx range of diodes - a pair of either 1N4001 or 1N4002 or 1N4003 or 1N4004.. and so on, up to 1N4007.

The fact that you have one 4001 and one 4007 does not matter. It will do exactly the same job.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I'm in the UK and need to do it before next week for the Isle Of Man TT
You jammy sod... call into Bushy's beer tent and have one for me will you?:grin2:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After making the diode mod I didn't use it in the end.
When my bike was originality purchased it was by a woman and she had a Triumph indicator bleeper kit fitted by the dealer. I disconnected because I felt like a prat sitting at junctions with the bleeper sounding like a HGV reversing. It crossed my mind that perhaps the feed to the disconnected buzzer might work, and it did, so I ran a twin core from it to my LED and it works fine now in both directions :x
Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Hi Ripper.
Had a beer, or 3 in Bushys for you !! :beerchug
Thanks! Unfortunately for me, work will not allow me to go. I could have got there for last weekend but that's no good to me, I would have had to come back just as the racing began. Bummer. :frown2:

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
36 Posts
I also was leaving the signal lights on. I decided it was mostly because you just cannot see the idiot light in daylight unless you look closely. I finally got tired of it and bought the LED idiot light conversion from NewBonneville. It really is as good as they claim, The light will now catch my attention fairly quickly without even looking down.
I also bought a Signalminder from the same source. I only hooked up the basic unit, I may add the brake light delay, not sure yet, but it's quite easy installation even if I add the options. Both seem to be good products, easy installation.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I also was leaving the signal lights on. I decided it was mostly because you just cannot see the idiot light in daylight unless you look closely. I finally got tired of it and bought the LED idiot light conversion from NewBonneville. It really is as good as they claim, The light will now catch my attention fairly quickly without even looking down.
I hate to sound negative but I have always advised people to avoid those LED conversion kits. The reason is simply the cost - last time I looked they cost around £24 for 4 LED bulbs. From my local electronics parts supplier or EBay those 4 bulbs would come to around £0.40. There is no difference and they fit the same.

I think that when I had my bike and joined this site, the dim idiot lights were one of the first things that I heard complaints of. Lots of complaints. Mine were hard to see even in daylight on a dull day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's not negative at all, I understand they can be cheaper elsewhere. But until you know exactly what product you are looking for it's a bit of a crapshoot picking the correct one, and the forum is quite full of folks who have at some point looked for help or experienced fitting problems. One posting said quite clearly and with some authority that they were T10 size (they aren't). I simply wanted to quickly and easily solve the issue. and these did, in spades.
These look quite like what I ended up with and they are much cheaper, http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10XWhite-T5-...ash=item1c68b689c6:g:oCkAAOSw7ehXRRG0&vxp=mtr So they appear like they may work, except they will be polarity sensitive while the ones I bought have a rectifier so that issue won't be there. It also eliminates the requirement to modify the wiring for the turn indicator with diodes as shown in previous posts.
But of course my problem is now solved. Thanks for the tip though! It may well benefit others.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts