Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Been rebuilding my gearbox (1978 T140v 5 speed) over the last couple of weekends and now got the the part of indexing - I have read all the threads in this forum, seen the video posted by caulky (very impressed with your rebuild fella !!!!), read the orginal triumph workshop manual -
So after indexing according the the Triumph manual (1st gear selected) I can go up to neutral and back down to 1st gear but trying to go up to 2nd gear and beyond will not happen :confused: all the primary drive is off the bike but the chain and sprocket are on (thought it would make it easier to spin the gearbox via the back wheel with these attached) - so the burning question is - should I be able to select all the gears just by spinning the back wheel or does the gearbox need the engine to spin the gearbox to enable full gear selection ???
Any advice would be great
Nige

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Hey all,
Been rebuilding my gearbox (1978 T140v 5 speed) over the last couple of weekends and now got the the part of indexing - I have read all the threads in this forum, seen the video posted by caulky (very impressed with your rebuild fella !!!!), read the orginal triumph workshop manual -
So after indexing according the the Triumph manual (1st gear selected) I can go up to neutral and back down to 1st gear but trying to go up to 2nd gear and beyond will not happen :confused: all the primary drive is off the bike but the chain and sprocket are on (thought it would make it easier to spin the gearbox via the back wheel with these attached) - so the burning question is - should I be able to select all the gears just by spinning the back wheel or does the gearbox need the engine to spin the gearbox to enable full gear selection ???
Nige
You should be able to select all the gears. Ignore any procedure for the early 5-speed with the leaf spring. It is a different deal than your plunger. It's easy to be 1 tooth off. Bob

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey all,
Nige
I've done this a couple of times and if it was only an indexing issue, you would be able to get most gears, but maybe miss 5th or 1st depending on which way the indexing error was.
I think you have something wrong in the 'box, selectors out of the tracks, forks out of the pinions, or something else?
Having the rear wheel drive the output shaft is ok for checking the workings.
Hand spinning the input shaft would also be useful, but not rotating the engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guy's for the tips/idea's - I got a couple days off work so me an the old girl can get real intimate - bit puzzled why gearbox not functioning as I did the rebuild as per the manual but will try indexing from the fifth this time - one question though - which tooth needs to be centered on the footchange spindle housing ??
Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Put it in 1st gear.The first full dog at the bottom of the quadrant will line up with the centre of the gear shift shaft.The top edge of the dog will be slightly above centre;the bottom edge will be slightly below centre.

If you assemble the box in 1st gear,allow the quadrant to drop to the bottom of the box and lift it up just enough to engage the teeth.That usually works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys,
Thanks for the advice - indexed in fifth an gearbox now selects all five gears - easy when you know how !!!!
Cheers
Nige

1 - 8 of 8 Posts