Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Has anyone noticed increased vibrations through the bars and foot pegs after installing the R&G Crash Protectors on an 07 Sprint ST 1050?

I was wondering if the bar you fit between the engine mounts is amplifying/transmitting the vibrations in some way. I removed them again and the vibrations seemed reduced.

Anyone else noticed this or have any suggestions for alternative crash protectors?

Thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
R&G

No have not felt any vibrations.

My R&G crash protectors have been fitted on two 1050 ST that I have owned with
no problems.

Maybe they may be binding or rubbing.

Barry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No have not felt any vibrations.

Maybe they may be binding or rubbing.

Barry

I did notice that the right hand side front 'L' shaped bracket does touch the fairing and has rubbed the paint off :mad:. I've since installed a small rubber pad in that location.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Maybe you have one of the spacers out of sink, I know the instructions are a bit weird.

If do search one of the members on the forum has done good video on fitment of R&G
crash protectors.

Barry

·
Registered
450 Posts
R&G

Did a search:-

Tattooed Red Head

R&G Crash Slider Video Installation Tutorial

Check this out, to see if you have fitted everything in the correct place.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
I put the R&G on 3 years ago and didn't notice any vibration issues. If there was I used to it now. I'm happy to say I haven't tested them yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe you have one of the spacers out of sink, I know the instructions are a bit weird.

If do search one of the members on the forum has done good video on fitment of R&G
crash protectors.

Barry
I found the fitting videos prior to installing them and fitted them as per the videos, so I'm pretty sure they are fitted correctly.

I may remove them again and try a longer ride to make sure there is a difference in the amount of vibration because last time I only rode for a few miles after removing them.

I may just be imagining the increased vibrations because I only had the bike for a day before fitting them.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Doubt that the spacers were mixed up because it would be glaringly obvious to anyone if they were. Seven millimeters difference quite noticeable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi MJB. I'm just down the road from you in A-de-la-Z. You thought of taking it into Pidcocks or Windy Corner for a second opinion ?
Hi jonnybiscuit, I did think about taking it back to Pidcock's for them to have a ride and give their opinion. I bought the bike second hand from Pidcock's about a month ago and it still has about 5 months left on the warranty.

I'm going to order some heated grips from them so I'll see if they can look at it when I collect them.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
This one has been nagging me. :confused:

Is there a possibility that you loosened the engine mount adjusters during the procedure?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This one has been nagging me. :confused:

Is there a possibility that you loosened the engine mount adjusters during the procedure?
I wondered that but I checked that I couldn't turn them by hand when I refitted the protectors. I don't have the tool for tightening the engine mount adjusters so I couldn't check they were torqued-up correctly.

I will check that everything is fitted and tightened correctly again. If I don't find anthing wrong I will remove them again and see if there really is a difference in vibration!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wondered that but I checked that I couldn't turn them by hand when I refitted the protectors. I don't have the tool for tightening the engine mount adjusters so I couldn't check they were torqued-up correctly.

I will check that everything is fitted and tightened correctly again. If I don't find anthing wrong I will remove them again and see if there really is a difference in vibration!
MJ,did you sort out your vibe prob?I have noticed a tingling vibration through the pegs,I had the crash bungs fitted as part of the deal when i bought the bike,so the only previous experience I have of the st was the test ride prior to doing the deal,and I must say that i did not notice the vibes then,but thought it may:confused: have been the first ride excitement ,you tend not to notice the little niggles until you have lived with the bike a little,but on reading your post it has got me wondering about the bungs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts