Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Increased valve play on both left side exhaust cylinders?

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  dr.blom 
#1 ·
Just got the old thumb out my ass yesterday and all valve play was fine, except both left exhaust valves coming out at .30mm. this leads me to belive those valve seats are just plain old coked up, maybe left carb float sits a smidge higher?
Havent actually adjusted for that since the bike was new.
First plan is to run the engine fully warm, then blow some water mist through the left pot and see if it coughs out some black stuff. Remeasure. If no improvement, inspect fuel level and reset the carb floats. Valve play shouldnt Increase, and if i reshim this, then go about looking at fuelmixture which might burn off the coke again im just gonna have two tight valves..
Might try and mix the water spray im gonna run through the engine with some e85 for greater effect. We dont have seafoam or magic snakestuff like that in Sweden, otherwise i would have tried it.

#5 ·
The water mist should work, you can make it more effective by adding about 20% alcohol to the water, methylated spirits here in the UK, surgical spirit elsewhere. I would treat both cylinders the recheck.
Yea, i was thinking about just mixing it with e85, but got lots of meth spirits lying arounfäd at home so even easier. Of course both cyls will get a few shots[emoji106]

#14 ·
Its ticking, it hasnt done that before. .30 is a bit on the loose end for my taste..
Anyway, experimenting was successful. Warmed it up on the bench, gave it revs and sprayed as much water mix as i dared in the intakes till it started misfiring, blew out noticable black smoke,and next morning one of the exhaust valves was back to .25.
Gonna go for a thorough warmup run and squirt more mist in the intakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.