Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the old thumb out my ass yesterday and all valve play was fine, except both left exhaust valves coming out at .30mm. this leads me to belive those valve seats are just plain old coked up, maybe left carb float sits a smidge higher?
Havent actually adjusted for that since the bike was new.
First plan is to run the engine fully warm, then blow some water mist through the left pot and see if it coughs out some black stuff. Remeasure. If no improvement, inspect fuel level and reset the carb floats. Valve play shouldnt Increase, and if i reshim this, then go about looking at fuelmixture which might burn off the coke again im just gonna have two tight valves..
Might try and mix the water spray im gonna run through the engine with some e85 for greater effect. We dont have seafoam or magic snakestuff like that in Sweden, otherwise i would have tried it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
not sure if its available in Sweden but buy some Subaru upper cylinder cleaner ( pressure pack ) it will clean a carboned up cylinder like new and the exhaust and intake as well. its expensive and only available from a dealer but its worth it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure if its available in Sweden but buy some Subaru upper cylinder cleaner ( pressure pack ) it will clean a carboned up cylinder like new and the exhaust and intake as well. its expensive and only available from a dealer but its worth it.
Will deffo try that if the old school steam clesn fails!

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
The water mist should work, you can make it more effective by adding about 20% alcohol to the water, methylated spirits here in the UK, surgical spirit elsewhere. I would treat both cylinders the recheck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The water mist should work, you can make it more effective by adding about 20% alcohol to the water, methylated spirits here in the UK, surgical spirit elsewhere. I would treat both cylinders the recheck.
Yea, i was thinking about just mixing it with e85, but got lots of meth spirits lying arounfäd at home so even easier. Of course both cyls will get a few shots

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you go about this , would removing the air filter and spraying directly into the air intake work and is it ok to do on an EFI bike ?
Thats exactly what i was planning, just warm it up on the lift, remove air filters and use an ordinary spray bottle. Giving it a few good squirts in each intake and see if it coughs out any soot. Will do a comp test before and after as well. Probably when i get back from norway in the weekend. Have a few more bikes to get ready for the season so need to get cracking..

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thats exactly what i was planning, just warm it up on the lift, remove air filters and use an ordinary spray bottle. Giving it a few good squirts in each intake and see if it coughs out any soot. Will do a comp test before and after as well. Probably when i get back from norway in the weekend. Have a few more bikes to get ready for the season so need to get cracking..

Thanks for that , I see Amazon sell the Seafoam but looking at Youtube there seems to be a lot of negativity regarding the use of it , but it's the internet so don't really know what to make of that . I've got plenty of Meths so could be a 20% dilution in water . I've done 63,000 miles on the bike , did the valve shims at 60,000 and she runs sweet as a nut but don't suppose it'll hurt giving it a bit of a clean through . Will that mixture of Meths and water through the air intake help clean the injectors ?

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Warm up the engine, wind the engine speed up, pull out the air cleaner element and spray away. The engine will pop and bang a bit, a bit of a rev should clear it, repeat. Wouldn't recommend this as a regular maintenance technique, and no it won't clean the injectors.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that , I see Amazon sell the Seafoam but looking at Youtube there seems to be a lot of negativity regarding the use of it , but it's the internet so don't really know what to make of that . I've got plenty of Meths so could be a 20% dilution in water . I've done 63,000 miles on the bike , did the valve shims at 60,000 and she runs sweet as a nut but don't suppose it'll hurt giving it a bit of a clean through . Will that mixture of Meths and water through the air intake help clean the injectors ?
No, i think running a tank mixed with seafoam will though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its ticking, it hasnt done that before. .30 is a bit on the loose end for my taste..
Anyway, experimenting was successful. Warmed it up on the bench, gave it revs and sprayed as much water mix as i dared in the intakes till it started misfiring, blew out noticable black smoke,and next morning one of the exhaust valves was back to .25.
Gonna go for a thorough warmup run and squirt more mist in the intakes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts