Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
It isn't just accessory or aftermarket that have issues. I've had stock equipment that caused serious buffeting too. If the airflow gets aimed at your neck or helmet area it usually doesn't work out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This is from an old post in another thread. Full parabellum not sport shield but same concept. Note the blue text, the longer more slanted back windshield directed the airflow better and most importantly was much closer to my helmet, so turbulence at the helmet area was minimized. I assume it just moved the turbulence further back.

I have had a parabellum for 2 years now. I only use it in the winter as here in Texas it gets too hot for summer time. The fairing creates a low pressure area behind it (even with the vent) that pulls up the very hot engine air right in front of you. In less hot climates it probably is not a problem. I got mine used so it is not fitted to me exactly. It really does take all the wind of of you. In my case it did not cause standard buffeting it was more like a vibration. The buffeting was so fast it made everthing slightly blurry but you could not feel you head move like standard buffeting. It was extreamly annoying espically after a long ride. I have heard that most people have no such trouble. I did extensive testing of varying the fairing position and was not able to completly get rid of the "vibration". I then went on to make my own winshield for it which was longer and more angled back. I did lots more testing to get it right but this did fix the problem. It is very nice to ride long distances without getting tired from "fighting the wind".

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I almost got one of these after reading some glowing owners raves, glad I didn't.
Got a National cycle street shield ex and added an adjustable deflector. Worked quite well, able to adjust the deflector for minimum noise and buffeting, but still noiser than no screen/flyscreen. It improved fuel economy and allowed a higher touring speed but I'm not really a big screen guy.

Removed it and now just use a flyscreen on both my bikes, Just cruise along a bit slower.

·
Registered
123 Posts
With successive windshields and fairings on a number of different bikes, I have learned that, if you can adjust the angle of the windshield, keep tilting it back, a little at a time, until the buffeting stops. You will need quite a steep angle. This reduces the effective height of the windshield, so the wind will hit more of you, but at least it will be smooth air. Buffeting is unendurable.

On my Bonneville I have a medium-size, handlebar-mounted windshield (Memphis Shades Hellcat) set 42 degrees back from vertical, as measured with the level app on my iPhone. The wind blast hits around the top of my flip-up helmet, but smoothly so, without any snatching. My torso and shoulders are nicely protected so I don't feel as if I am hanging on for dear life. Plus, the windshield looks good, with smooth lines, a gradient black tint and presentable hardware. You can remove or reinstall it in a couple of minutes, but I leave it on.

With something like the Parabellum Scout, maybe you can tilt back the whole fairing or tilt back the windshield
where it attaches to the fairing.

Incidentally, did you know that para bellum comes from the Roman proverb "Si vis pacem, para bellum," which means: If you want peace, prepare for war.
This is a very old thread, I know, but can you tell me how much space you left between the headlight and shield? I have the same Memphis Shades windshield on my T100, and I'm trying to dial in the noise a bit. No helmet shake, but I get a fair bit of wind up from the tank and increased wind noise. I have about 1" between the headlamp and the windshield, and have it angled back about the same angle as the forks. I suspect my screen is more vertical than your 42 degrees from vertical, I think I'm about 38 degrees.

Or, if you could share a picture?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts