Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with all the discussion on rejetting etc. I was directed by the dealer to try this install of the Rev Limiter Raise+ Custom map Option#3 fr the t100. It is a simple plug and replacement module below the seat.

I just had came back from a 70 mile ride.

Unbelievable performance enhancement. It raises the torque substantially and increases the power and smoothness of shifting.

Take a look. It might be an alternative (cost effective) way to increase your power expectations.

In addition it is supposed to increase the miles/gallon as well. I'll confirm this in the next couple of days.

http://www.triumphperformanceusa.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7&sort=20a&page=4

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
they work and by the way if you see the member pieman on here hes the one that does those.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
The price difference between option 1 at $119, option 2 at $179 and option 3 at $245 seems a bit exagerated to me.
After all the only difference between them is a relatively simple change to the ignition advance map that is usually stored in a PIC16 type of microcontroller chip. The programming of which takes seconds. We do this at work everyday.

The basic unit and the bulk of the cost is the igniter circuitry and all 3 options share that same circuit.

Once again we see power claims made for a product but no dyno proof or even a +X BHP figure to prove that it works and justifies the cost.

Even Triumph themselves market an outrageously expensive Arrow exhaust system with claims of "power increase over standard..." but no figures or proof is given. What's going on?. I mean this system is $1200 + fitting charges.

Can you imagine getting to work one day with a shiny new $1200+ dollar exhaust and having to tell your colleagues that you have no idea of the power gained by shelling out such an amount?.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Even Triumph themselves market an outrageously expensive Arrow exhaust system with claims of "power increase over standard..." but no figures or proof is given. What's going on?. I mean this system is $1200 + fitting charges.

Can you imagine getting to work one day with a shiny new $1200+ dollar exhaust and having to tell your colleagues that you have no idea of the power gained by shelling out such an amount?.
those pipes don't make as much power as a set of $500 slip on Dominators!

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
you are kinda new here there have been many dyno runs showing hp gains with the pieman box.now the high $$$ arrow pipes have not showed much hp.$245. is no money at all when you start playing with these motors.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
The price difference between option 1 at $119, option 2 at $179 and option 3 at $245 seems a bit exagerated to me.
After all the only difference between them is a relatively simple change to the ignition advance map that is usually stored in a PIC16 type of microcontroller chip. The programming of which takes seconds. We do this at work everyday.

The basic unit and the bulk of the cost is the igniter circuitry and all 3 options share that same circuit.

Once again we see power claims made for a product but no dyno proof or even a +X BHP figure to prove that it works and justifies the cost.

Must be vanity if your worried what your colleagues think. A well built pipe is just that and so is the Arrow. There's plenty of proof if you do a search in past threads like Mike suggested. The system isn't $1200 if you shop around. I picked up mine for about $750.00 and they are a snap to fit yourself. Why pay a dealer when you can do it yourself for nothing?:confused: That's what this motorcycle is about. Pieman's igniter works well and has been demonstrated many times. I'll be ordering on just as soon as we refit the cases for the stroker kit and order the cams from Triumph Performance. there's always the procon unit. The arrow will add about 6hp over stock but we'll see what it does in a big bore once where through. I suspect it will do quite well in mid to upper range with the DB killer out.

Your right Mike $245.00 is nothing.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
957 Posts

I too will attest to the fine performance/workings of my "Pieman" igniter... I was one of the first to have Mike do his rework... One reason he quotes no specific hp gains is that each bike/engine will respond differently, power wise, depending on the rest of your set up (pipes, air box or not, air filter type, jetting, etc.)... What I can GUARANTEE is that with a 790 engine, it will rev higher than the stock unit, rev faster (build rpms) and make power right up to the rev limit... All without the starting and carb spitting issues that the Procom igniters bring with them...

Well worth every penny if you ask me....

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I've seen the Procon unit on newbonneville.com but all they say is that it removes the rev limit. This won't help a stock engine.

As Mike says, $245 is peanuts when it comes to customising and tuning these machines. It's not quite as bad as with Harleys, but getting close.

I have a friend with a Harley and he thought Impecunious was a Roman Emperor until he started customising his bike...:)

Mine has been ordered with Arrows mainly for the looks, sound, quality, and because they're made of stainless steel, my favourite material, and as I'm getting the bike exported from the UK I've asked the dealer to fit them. Not because I can't do it but because the ECU map download that they need. I can't do that.

Vanity don't enter into it. I just like to know the full facts about a product and I still don't officially know what likely power increase these pipes will give, not because I'm vain or power mad, but just to know. Your figure of 6 bhp will do me for now though...thanks Jeff.

I manufacture and market electronic power supply systems and even a tiny 25 watt unit has a 5 page file detailing the most minute details about its performance and specs. Customers demand to know all sorts of things before they fit one of our units into their systems.

To give you an idea of why I'm such a cynic, I'll just tell you that I work closely in my spare time with a Newport(UK) firm that markets certain tuning gear and we have tested umpteen CDI units that claim increased power but make bugger-all difference. Scam-bay is chock-a-block full of +20 and +35 HP "chips" that are nothing but a 0.1 cent resistor in a fancy case...and do fxxk all.

I'm not saying that whoever makes that ignition unit is cheating, for all I know they're a professional and reputable outfit, but I've seen lots that are high in business acumen and low on ethics.

One of the advantages of being old is to have lived through all sorts of fads and fashions. I well remember the power claims of alternative exhausts in the 70's and 80's. A magazine finally gathered several examples in a shop with a dyno and some technicians and tested them all. Not one could give more power than the OE ones and several turned out to be worse.

Same happened to the outrageous claims made for after market Capacitor discharge ignitions marketed to replace contact breakers: Lots of claims not substantiated and under tests they turned out to be false.

I could go on... in fact I will. How many cast iron and drilled discs were sold in the 70-80's to cure the wet weather disc brake lag all bikes were cursed with...? after-market suppliers made millions until the British TRRL (Transport research laboratory) proved that they didn't work and the solution was stainless discs with slotted or sintered pads.

Having said all that, I'm interested in that igniter, the option number 2 will do me, but I'm a bit confused, being new here. I know Pieman is a member but, what connection is there between him and Triumph performance USA and Triumph Twin power England?.

·
30,525 Posts
Pieman is Triumph Twin Power, and supplies the igniter units to TPUSA - that's the connection.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Thanks propforward. Found the UK site and it seems that you send the igniter to them for re-programming. I thought you got a new modified igniter. The price appears to be the same £85+tax regardless of what map they put on it. However on the American site there are 3 different prices according of what option you choose.

I think I'll run mine for a 2 or 3 thousand miles before I use their service. Sounds good.

I hope this component is reliable, I've just found out it costs over $600 from bikebandit and yet there are some new ones on ebay with the rpm limit increased to 8200 for $179. Are they any good?.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
tpusa is the distributer for the boxs in north america. The reason for the 3 options is that it depends on what he has to reprogram the the box to .#3 option he does the program like you want it.That way you can make a custom advance that works with cams and such that are not stock.I have only seen 3 people that can do these bikes.Adding a few deg timing to most of these bikes will pick up hp and torque.If you have a stock 790 with big carbs and good pipes just raseing the rev limit can give you alittle hp the older cams live better in the higher rpm range then the later 865 cams do.In that case option 1 might be what you want if the gas you have to run wont let you go up on timing much.#2 might get the most use (maybe the best bang for the buck for a normal motor on good gas.
Thats the way I understand it mike (pieman )can tell you more

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've seen the Procon unit on newbonneville.com but all they say is that it removes the rev limit. This won't help a stock engine.
The Procom adds some advance. I'm not certain how much, but there was a performance improvement on my bike. However, it also elimates the TPS, and you no longer have five ignition maps - just one.

To say that it(either the Procom or Pieman's option 3) won't do much for a stock bike isn't entirely true.

These bikes have been shipped with at least 4 different ignitor programmings over the past few years. Perhaps more - Pieman could tell you. I know of one for the 790, and three different ones for the 865.

And FWIW....my bike has run three different ignitors: a stock 2008 Bonney ignitor, a Procom and a custom programmed unit.

The Pieman special will stay on my bike.

·
Vendor
2,431 Posts
There are one set of maps for each of the 360° & 270° 790's and the same for the 865's. The 865 Bonnie and Thruxton maps are the same, also the 865 America, Speedie and Scrambler maps are the same. The maps for the 790's & 865's haven't changed since the bikes were introduced.

Forchetto, I only modifiy pre EFI twin ignitions. For EFI go to your dealer and he will charge you around £75 just to unlock the EFI ECU. Enjoy your new SE.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I just got my pieman box on my bike .I got to say its way smoother then the procom.Bike is stronger in the high rpms now too.Thanks mike for a job well done.I need a bigger tach now so I can see where the rev limit is .I hit the limit in 2nd gear tonight I think its close to where it should be it will do over 80 in 2nd now with 18th front sprocket .I just got a 19th to put on in the morning .

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I should get my Pieman ignitor tomorrow!! (along with the set of Dunlop 501's). I am keen to see the difference - will report back with results according to the seat of the pants dyno

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
i talked to carlos at TPUSA yesterday because i wanted one of these (option #2 since my motor and head is stock aside from 813 cams and FCr's), since in a week i should betting my 813 cams and FCR's from him, and thought the new box would be a great addition, but doesn't have any in stock. i will just wait around until he gets some more available since i am not into sending away my box and waiting 3 weeks to get it back, especially since next week i am installing the new cams and carbs, and am going to want to ride the bike! dont want another 3 weeks of down time! once he gets them in i will take a ride up to the shop since i am less than 2 hours away and do a swap on the spot.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Save the Procom money for a Pieman

I hope this component is reliable, I've just found out it costs over $600 from bikebandit and yet there are some new ones on ebay with the rpm limit increased to 8200 for $179. Are they any good?.
The price does seem high for a "reprogram" na d having to turn in your stock unit BUT I must add that this ""CDI"" WORKS and after playing around with Procom and now trying the +3 PIEMAN Ignitor I can assure you it works and improves low end torque, mid range and top end HP. The price is apparently high because I have heard from a good source that Pieman uses stainless steel pins to stick into the units to reprogram them while chanting some sort of English Voodoo ritual and then he needs to dispose of the pins by burial so as to not infect other ""CDI"" units or humans...bottom line is this +3 box does work.
I do not endorse products that do not. It is probably the best mod for the money.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tuning specs

I agree that if you are marketing tuning items you need to have an authenticated spec to demonstrate the value/improvement. Opening up the exhaust system to reduce back pressure and opening up the breathing will make an improvement - rejetting the carbs or remapping to take advantage should also make a difference. As I could not get any actual quantifiable figures (and the dealer recommending the Arrows and the Airbox kit for more than my mortgage) I fitted 2x Emgo Dunstalls $160, opened up the air box, removing the baffle and adding a free flow filter, removed the snorkel and opened it up, remapped at the dealer $54, and the performance is certainly way better - would love to know what the power at the crank is up from 67bhp - maybe 80+?. It is a different bike so I upped the gearing to 42T rear 19T front. Just need Burt Munro's fairing to see what the top speed will be! If you really want to fly buy a Hayabusa - can get a nice one for $12k!

My Dad knew a rally champion back in the 1930's. He tuned up people's cars but his stage 1 that he charged idiots for involved knocking the baffles out of the silencer and changing the gearing on the speedo. The extra noise made it feel faster and the speedo confirmed it was going faster!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts