Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 Street Triple seems to have an inaccurate speedometer. I use my phone GPS occasionally, and Google maps gives your MPH at the bottom. I have found in cars it is pretty accurate, but on my bike it seems to be about 6mph below what my speedometer says. I noticed it mostly at high speeds, can't say I paid too close attention at low speed. Has anyone else noticed this? I also think that its inaccurate because when I'm going 86-90 mph, I'm at speed with some other cars. I don't typically find most cars traveling above 80mph, so if I'm off by 6ish mph then I'm really going about 80.

I had a recall for my R/R fixed at a Triumph dealer and asked if it's something that can be re-calibrated, but was told no. Any ideas?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just got back from a 2 week tour where I was using a GPS and my phone at different times. I found my 2020 is off by approximately 3 mph.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Is it me or is this weird? I've never had a car that was so inaccurate, why is this a thing with these bikes? Is it just Triumph or is it an issue with motorcycles in general?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Is it me or is this weird? I've never had a car that was so inaccurate, why is this a thing with these bikes? Is it just Triumph or is it an issue with motorcycles in general?
I don't think it's just a Triumph thing. I remember people on the FZ-09 and FJ-0 forums talking about indicated versus reality. I just don't remember how big the gap was, but I think in the higher speeds it was around 5 mph.

With regards to cars, I believe they are usually off too, but not sure how much... 3ish mph? Maybe 5, maybe less. It's been a long time since I've had the opportunity to see the the difference.

I was going to say this in my previous reply but didn't think it was necessarily relevant, but, after seeing how far off my speedo was, I just added 5 mph to whatever speed I wanted to go. At the end of the day, if I'm traffic, I'm travelling with or slightly faster than them so accuracy isn't an issue. And, if I'm alone, I'm travelling at a speed I feel is safe from either a road or I don't want to get a ticket perspective. :)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
For 2011 street triple you can use tune ecu to correct you speedo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts