Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
If you want a great ride, take Hwy 97 all the way to Vernon then follow the signs to Clearwater then over the Monashee's to Nakusp. It is a breathtaking ride with serious curves, a wonderfull ferry ride to a great little town.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE:

If you want a great ride, take Hwy 97 all the way to Vernon then follow the signs to Clearwater then over the Monashee's to Nakusp. It is a breathtaking ride with serious curves, a wonderfull ferry ride to a great little town.
Thank you,
Breathtaking and serious curves, I can do that. I'll modify this BC route:

·
Registered
146 Posts
No contest between the two routes you suggested, IMHO, when it comes to scenery and overall ride satisfaction. Hope - Princeton is an amazing ride, both for the scenery and for the twisties. Princeton - Keremeos is also nice along the Similkameen River. Just watch for the wildlife. Keremeos to Penticton is also great, around Twin Lakes area especially. The only downside right now can be Penticton to Kelowna, as you have to try to avoid the road closures around Summerland. Check out www.arthon.com to see the closure schedule.

(Further, if you like wineries, Penticton to Kelowna has that covered. If however, that's not a big deal to you, and you don't mind going even further out of the way, I'd go through Keremeos to Osoyoos, take Osoyoos to Rock Creek, then take Hwy 33 from Rock Creek to Kelowna. It's kind of the longer, back way into Kelowna, but beautiful. To compare them, Penticton to Kelowna on Hwy 97 follows the valley and lakes, while Osoyoos to Rock Creek to Kelowna on Hwy 33 is more mountainous and out of the way. Either way, you can't go wrong.)

The alternate you suggested, ie. Coquihalla Hwy to Merritt and Merritt to Kelowna, will be much faster, but it's boring for the most part. Just open freeway and not much to see.

Not sure what your ultimate destination is, ie. whether or not you plan on going past Kelowna. If so, I have heard that the route suggested by Calliway is gorgeous. It's definitely at the top of my list for this year.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Slight mod to your route that will change your ride for the better.

I grew up in the Okanagan and for 4 years the interior BC was my territory for my work and I got many many opportunities to explore it. By pass Sicamous and Salmon Arm which are beauty little towns but the riding is not that fun. THe route I changed for you takes your along the Selkirk Mtn range then over the Monashees while riding along huge beautiful fresh water lakes. The route from Nakasp to the Needles ferry is lined with Bald Eagle nests and you can watch them fish on the lake while you ride.

The other change is in the south. Head from Creston up 3A which is 85kms of pure twisty glory and rated one of the top rides in the West. It will take you to Nelson which is the oldest and smallest "City" in BC and not to be missed. It is also the town they filmed Steve Marten's, Roxanne in and is perched on the side of the Mountain overlooking Kootney Lake. Nice beach there as well so in August it will be a welcome respite.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
I have to agree with Calliway.

I would avoid the Coquihala Highway unless you are simply looking to get from point A to point B.
The Hope/Princeton is a great road and a great ride.
Another good loop is Kelowna to Rock Creek over Highway 33. From Rock Creek take Highway 3 to Osoyoos. That is a fantastic road but watch for tar snakes. Then you can either continue on Highway 3 through Lower Similkameen and Cawston to Keremeos OR take Highway 97 to Oliver, and continue up to just past Okanagan Falls and take Highway 3a to Keremeos (turn off is just before Kaleden) OR stay on Highway 97 and go to Penticton, Summerland, Peachland and back to Kelowna.
You can also take Highway 1 through the Fraser Canyon. Another really great ride. You can turn off at Spences Bridge onto Highway 8 to Merrit or continue o Cache Creek and Kamloops.

Choice is yours but I don't think you'll find a bad road through the interior.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Calliway, GunslingerRC & Greaser, it was important for me to get some feedback.

I've plugged the suggestions into Google maps and it makes for about a 1700km trip.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That little section of Hwy. 6 (just above "Ainsworth Hot Springs") from Kaslo to New Denver is not to be missed. Pure giggle fest.

All the roads north of Nelson are pure fun.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd avoid the Coquihalla if possible. The road is just too boring compared to the other options. Nothing wrong with the scenery, though, if you take the time to stop along the way.

If you're starting from Carnation and have the time to take a less direct route to the BC Interior, head through Whistler and take the road (its called a highway, but that's a stretch) from Pemberton to Lillooet. Spectacular, but you have to endure the construction between Vancouver and Whistler.

Depending on where you want to go from Lillooet, you can head north and east through Kamloops via Cache Creek, or south and east through Kelowna via Lytton/Spences Bridge/Merritt.

To fit into the route you drew out - Whistler/Pemberton/Lillooet/Cache Creek/Kamloops/Vernon, and on from there.

If you are willing to ride on gravel, there's any number of spectacular options.

So many great roads in the BC Interior/Kootenays (and I've driven, though not ridden, them all) and so little time...

And whatever roads you travel - watch for deer and bear!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts