Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

In search of quicker throttle response?

8K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  N_2_DEEP 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, some time ago I tried dropping the front sprocket size by 1 tooth, thinking that this would make the bike feel a bit more lively through the rev range, not that it really needs it, but why not?

This didn't achieve the result I'd hoped for, instead it made the bike feel way too peaky and required a lot more gear changes.

Anyway today I fitted a speed triple throttle tube, cost $25.00 aus, and took about 5 minutes to fit. This is what I was trying for in the first place. The bike feels like it makes it's power a lot more effortlessly due to the reduced throttle travel.

With all the slack adjusted out of the cable the throttle is not jerky and for some reason (who knows why) the bike feels happier traveling at almost legal speeds.

Highly recommend this mod, however if you fit the speed triple throttle tube, be sure to treat the throttle with more respect than usual for a while.

#2 ·
Make the throttle more sensitive? YIKES! :eek: That's the LAST thing I'd want! The Streety is well known for having an overly sensitive throttle (documented in both professional and non professional reviews of this bike). Smooth pavement not too much trouble but as soon as I hit some bumps, slight of hand makes the bike jerky as heck. However, this is also my first fuel injected bike. To each their own, though.

#4 · (Edited)
No there's nothing wrong with the bike, its just faster.:D

Plus its green (an old debate) and these things have to be played with. (can't help myself)

Ken have you tried adjusting all of the free play out of your throttle cable?

The specs say to leave a little slack but this is what causes the jerkiness over bumps ect.

(I know this has been discussed before, but its getting a bit quite around here lately.)

When I first took the slack out of mine it felt like a different bike right away,hasn't jerked on bumps or chain slapped out of corners since and it has no effect on engine revs at full lock.

Plus its easy to adjust it back to the factory settings if you don't think it makes a positive difference.

The speed tube doesn't make the throttle more sensitive, it just makes the power feel on tap quicker, its quite a long wind back with the standard throttle tube.

Its my favorite mod so far and only 25 bucks :motorbike2:

#6 ·
I don't remember exactly, but I think a 2006 or so R1 throttle tube is the cheap fix for quick turning throttles for lots of different bikes. If it doesn't work, you are only out about $10. I completely understand the urge to shorten the throttle's throw so you can get to WFO just a little sooner and with less wrist flex.

#12 ·
Great mod!

I just put the 1050 throttle tube on my ST-R and took it for a spin. What a great mod. If you want a handful of throttle, you have it now. Driving city streets is no problem and I don't have anymore issues maintaining freeway speeds due to wrist position.

It takes less than ten minutes and its easy to undo if you want. At the moment, I can't see why anyone would want to, though.

$10, including shipping.

#16 ·
I don't. I'd be doing it all the time. I'm not sure that would be safe, but maybe I haven't thought it through very well. The bike has such an incredible torque curve, I just don't shift all that often - which means I'd be walking the throttle all the time.

#14 ·
I have to agree with the guy who said he takes it super easy in 1st and 2nd until at least 30mph or he sees sky (MacBandit). That was my experience...I can't imagine wanting to quicken throttle response. I was wondering about a modified cam to reduce off-idle response a little. not a lot...but just a little would be nice IMO. maybe that changes as one adjusts to the bike?
John

#15 ·
Just a follow up on my post regarding easy wheelies in first and second. When I softened up the suspension on my R it took care of this problem. I consider it a problem because it would come up very very easily at a light just taking off so much so you could steer or brake if needed. It will still loft easy but now I have to give it throttle very very quickly to give it abrupt acceleration which works the suspension damping quick enough to prevent it from absorbing the weight transfer.

#19 ·
I just "de-modded" the bike. Driving on poor roads (pot holes, rough surface) can be scary with this mod. You start bouncing pretty bad and you can imagine what happens to the throttle. Its good for freeway cruising (or the track), but not good anywhere else.

#20 ·
I believe I'm gonna do this mod - I have to twist my wrist bigtime to get to WOT and I don't like that...

The bike doesn't seem too touchy at all to me though, I don't relate to what others are saying.. Why would the Speed Triple, which is surely torquier than the Street Triple, use a throttle tube that makes for a shorter throw than the Street Triple and ride fine that way? I don't get it.. I would think that if the Speed Triple is manageable with that throttle tube, than the Street Triple would be even moreso...

I like giving the throttle a good twist - I wouldn't want the throw any less than it is on my Z1000 (talk about short-geared and twitchy throttle response in 1st gear!) , but I don't like having to adjust the position of my right arm to get enough of an angle to get WOT on the Street Triple..

I'm having a 15t front sprocket installed here soon too - that and some CRM pipes and I'm gonna be good to go I think =)

BTW, is this 1050 throttle tube an easy mod for a person with no mechanical skill to do? Or should I let my mechanic do it?

thanks!

#21 ·
1050 Mod.

The 1050 throttle tube mod is one of the great things to do to the streety for cheap.

Unfortunately, it's not liked too much by those who aren't used to the standard streety throttle response .... I'm talking about those riders who tend to place too much weight on their hands when they ride, or riders who don't know their arse from their elbow... :rolleyes:

However, for the better more experienced riders it is a great mod simply because it just makes the streety a better bike to ride, with perfect throttle response and fast power delivery.

Once you fit the 1050 tube mod you won't want to go back to the slower OEM part.

S.

#22 ·
I agree it is excellent. I started out with some of the throttle jerkiness that you will have read about. On bumpy urban tarmac it used to bother me a bit. In no particular order I did the following and no longer have anything other than creamy response.
I rode more,
I removed all cable slack-you keep tightening until you get to the point where moving the bars varies the throttle and slacken.
I fitted Snakeskin tank pads
I kept the chain at the tighter end of the adjustment and well lubed.
I consciously loosened my finger grip and relaxed my arms.
I cannot tell you which of these steps is the answer but can tell you there is no better mod for the money than the 1050 tube.

#23 ·
All those things help but honestly riding more is probably the answer. I think those that rode dirt a lot do not have any issue with throttle response. Just think about this how can a dirt bike rider ride whoops without twisting the throttle every time they the face of one? It's all technique. If you hold your wrist too stiff when your elbow drops it will pull the throttle. Relax.

#24 ·
I suspect you are right MacBandit. My early riding on the Striple made me think the throttle was abrupt and snatchy. I read all the threads and followed many solutions but the key word is "relax". For some I believe they cannot relax because they find the experience of riding a light and punchy machine with "soft hands" difficult-but it is the key.

#25 ·
Excellently put, Mac.

I've advised a few streety owners to place their first two fingers on the brake and clutch levers as they ride in order to relax their "death grip" on the handlebar to prevent the "throttle twitch" syndrome.

As you say, the key is to just relax their grip on the bars.... "Soft hands".

Imagine that you are holding two uncooked eggs, one in each hand is another one I use on them...:)

S.

#27 ·
"Albert"

That reminds me of a guy I used to ride dirt with .... a tall skinny guy.

He rode his dirt bikes with "loose arms" ....:)

His arms used to flap up and down as he rode the bumps, it looked like he was flapping his "wings".

His first name was Ross, but his nickname was "Albert".

Albert-Ross .......:D

S.

#29 ·
Albert's GF..

Nope, quite true.

I remember one Saturday when we were practising at a dirt track and he got all crossed up over a set of ripples and dumped it in a very graceful "flying W".

To everyone, it looked like he was flapping his arms trying to take off! :D
He came back to the pits all covered in dust and crud.

He was moaning and groaning to his girl friend about how bad the track was. Someone told him to shut up and stop bitching, just go ride it.

He spat the dummy and started crying like a big girl in front of everyone. His girl friend got all cut because we were showing no sympathy for him, so she screamed out..."You bathtards, he'th justh hath a nasthy motorthcycle athcident."

We all rolled around on the ground laughing ....:D

I dunno who was the funniest, Albert Ross or his girl friend with the hair lip.

S.

#30 ·
Hhhmmm..

I like the albatross movement too - I like to pretend like I'm a jockey or a cowboy - flapping my arms sorta up and down while holding the throttle steady or accelerating.. Just for fun.. yee haw!! I like to play with the twitchy throttle in first gear on my Z1000 too - i intentionally twitch my throttle a bit to make engine music, and create a slight bucking bronco type riding experience (often while doing the jockey-arm-flap maneuver.. I usually do this when trapped in a line of slow moving traffic (summer in SoCal) to pass the time.. The freeway is a fun time for cowboy/jockey arms too..

I've always learned it like the hands are just "floating" on the grips anyhow - you're basically riding no-handed unless you want to steer, in which case pressure is applied..

It's tough to train myself not to put undue pressure on the bars though, especially when accelerating hard - tendency is to sort of "hang on", and this is wrong - body should be leaned forward and held there by using core muscles and legs - the arms are not pulling back on the bars whatsoever, not even a little bit - you should be able to take both hands off the bars while rocketing forward and still be right where you were when the hands were on the bars..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.